Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #4,186 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies/suggestions. I gather that I may need to get an amp (looking at the e11) to get the full bass potential of these headphones.

Just for your reference, with the e11, the headphones sound a lot better than straight from a source, such as direct from an mp3 player.

But the e11 doesn't have as much power to get the full bass potential from these phones. To go impressively beyond the capabilities of the e11, a desktop amp would truly impress you.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #4,187 of 5,992
Feb 5, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #4,188 of 5,992
Awesome, someone with a pair of 598 as well. Can you do me a favor and play the following songs unamped through an onboard soundvard (hopefully you have onboard) and let me know if the bass is similar on both headphones?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfqEFZ_F8pg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwPDoWBvD04
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln5bIWWhqwI

I'm hearing similar amounts of punchiness from both but more texture on the lows from the pro 900. Thanks in advance!

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #4,190 of 5,992
If you really want to hear the Pro 900 perform at its best regarding bass, try this track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-rmEKIiq3s&hd=1

No headphone within the Pro 900s price range will come close on this track. Enjoy.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #4,191 of 5,992
Haha, the pair of Pro 900s on ebay (used) ended up going for £245!

I lost the auction, but then bought them apparently brand spanking new unopened from amazon, for £250.

So can't complain really! lol

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #4,193 of 5,992
Advice Request: Portable Amp for my Pro 900.

Here is some information to help you help me.
biggrin.gif

1. Mainly listen to Electronica/Trance and sometimes live concert CD's.
  2. Source is iPod Touch 3rd Generation.
  3. I admit to being a Treble Head, Bass Head and Mid Head
    redface.gif
    .  I like the Bass punchy, the Mid to be concise (not sure of the correct term but similar to the bass - clear and punchy), and I do not mind sibilance.
  4. I almost bought the Fiio E1 recently.  Luckily the salesperson told me to try them first.  I found the E1 to soften the highs and the bass to be less punchy.  I did not like this result.
  5. I like a lot of sound stage.
  6. I like a lot of detail.  I think this is the same as what I am saying in my third bullet above.
  7. I can spend up to $200 but if I can stay below $150, then I can keep out of the dog house.
  8. The HP out on the Touch is having problems (sometimes only one side of HPs goes on).  I noticed that the SoundMagic A10 comes with a line out connector, does the Fiio E17 also come with one?  These are two that I am considering at this time.

If there is any other information that would be helpful, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #4,194 of 5,992
Perhaps the salesperson meant the E11?

In any case, the E17 would be perfect as you can adjust bass, mid, and treble balance.

The E17 needs the Fiio L7 ($10) to have a line out.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4,196 of 5,992

Quote:
Has anyone tested the pro900 with the schiit Asgard? I'm looking for an upgrade to my amp to use with the pro900's and also some other cans ( maybe hd600 or 650).

I am using them with Asgard. Bass is slightly less compared to E9/E7 combo but overall SQ is tighter and more balanced all around. I am thinking, however, that most of the change is from Bifrost, not Asgard.

Quote:
The bass is not boomy at all.
You know what guys... I wonder if they changed the headphones, like how HD650 had the black vs silver grill thing.
All of us who got it recently didn't report this super massive bass like the others who got it previously.

I read somewhere about increasing bass by uncovering two blocked holes out of four holes. When I opened mine up, there were 5 holes. I thought that was a bit odd.
Here's the pic.

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4,197 of 5,992

Quote:

I am using them with Asgard. Bass is slightly less compared to E9/E7 combo but overall SQ is tighter and more balanced all around. I am thinking, however, that most of the change is from Bifrost, not Asgard.

I read somewhere about increasing bass by uncovering two blocked holes out of four holes. When I opened mine up, there were 5 holes. I thought that was a bit odd.
Here's the pic.

That's how they're supposed to look like. The holes they're referring to when modding them for the bass are at the back of the drivers - not those holes.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #4,198 of 5,992
Ok, so I'm driving the Pro 900's through my Logitech Z-560 speaker system via 3.5mm out jack and there's definitely punchier and more impactful bass with more texture.

Do speaker systems usually amp better than an onboard soundcard and could this be an example of what an amp could do or am I just being crazy here? :D

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #4,199 of 5,992

Quote:
That's how they're supposed to look like. The holes they're referring to when modding them for the bass are at the back of the drivers - not those holes.

Oh, good to know cuz I almost took those off. I wonder what happens to the sound if I do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back