Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #4,171 of 5,992

Quote:
 I wish i had access to a higher end amp...sadly i don't at this moment.

It's definitely worth looking forward to!  
L3000.gif

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #4,174 of 5,992
just received my pro 900. gotta love amazon shipping, less than 5 working days to get from the US to australia :)
im loving these, a big step up from the HFI-580. easily worth more than the $300 i paid! next up is getting the HD 600/650 pads.
are the 600 and 650 pads any different? anyone had experience with both?

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #4,175 of 5,992
I've been reading a bit more about these (pretty much 100% getting them) and a few people say they have boomy bass? as in slow etc, now I know the vast majority say otherwise just wondering really... reason I love my HFI 780s is that the bass is quick and packs a punch, unlike the DT 770 which imo was a bit more, what I'd describe as boomy anyway.

Can't wait to get my hands on them anyways.

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #4,176 of 5,992

Don't worry about the Pro 900 being inferior to HFI 780. It's an all-round upgrade, just some parts are better than others.
Quote:
I've been reading a bit more about these (pretty much 100% getting them) and a few people say they have boomy bass? as in slow etc, now I know the vast majority say otherwise just wondering really... reason I love my HFI 780s is that the bass is quick and packs a punch, unlike the DT 770 which imo was a bit more, what I'd describe as boomy anyway.

Can't wait to get my hands on them anyways.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #4,179 of 5,992
That's what I was thinking as well. Without an amp the bass is comparable to my HD598! The sound from the Pro 900's sound a bit 'farther', but that may be because of the S-Logic?

I don't know if I'm going to spend another $65+ for an e11 to see if the bass kicks up, I was hoping to these would be give me great bass unamped.

Quote:
The bass is not boomy at all.
You know what guys... I wonder if they changed the headphones, like how HD650 had the black vs silver grill thing.
All of us who got it recently didn't report this super massive bass like the others who got it previously.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #4,180 of 5,992
More likely is that those reports were simply hyperbole and exaggeration and have set your expectations of the Pro900 too high . Also, you may be more used to the enhanced, overblown bass found in low end cans or beats etc. It's worth noting that moving beyond the Pro900/D5000/Thunderpants/Darth Beyer to higher end cans, things are only going to get less bassy.

EDIT: The bass is quite seal and position dependent so it's worth trying to find the sweet spot. For me it's one notch on each side of the headband, ears central in the cups and tilting the cups in a bit behind my ear to seal it better.

EDIT2: Listening to Fabriclive 58: Goldie right now I'm not sure what other cans would make this sound better than the Pro900s.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4,181 of 5,992
Which amp are you using?

Quote:
More likely is that those reports were simply hyperbole and exaggeration and have set your expectations of the Pro900 too high . Also, you may be more used to the enhanced, overblown bass found in low end cans or beats etc. It's worth noting that moving beyond the Pro900/D5000/Thunderpants/Darth Beyer to higher end cans, things are only going to get less bassy.

EDIT: The bass is quite seal and position dependent so it's worth trying to find the sweet spot. For me it's one notch on each side of the headband, ears central in the cups and tilting the cups in a bit behind my ear to seal it better.

EDIT2: Listening to Fabriclive 58: Goldie right now I'm not sure what other cans would make this sound better than the Pro900s.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #4,183 of 5,992

Quote:
The bass is not boomy at all.
You know what guys... I wonder if they changed the headphones, like how HD650 had the black vs silver grill thing.
All of us who got it recently didn't report this super massive bass like the others who got it previously.

To my ears the bass was massive and I bought mine about a month ago (end of december). However, the bass has become more punchy instead of boomy. Very likable. Also, the bass makes the bass on the D2000 seem a lot lesser, and the D2000 is no slouch when it comes to bass.

The Pro 900 does about everything right when you listen to house and other kinds of EDM, some rock and even classical (imo, but I'm no classical music listener so take it for what it's worth).

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #4,185 of 5,992
I just got mine a few days ago and the bass does seem massive when called for, like when I'm listening to Daft Punk or Massive Attack. However, in other cases, like on Lana Del Rey's new album, the bass doesn't seem so massive, which is a good thing IMO because you don't want massive bass when there's no supposed to be any or it can be overwhelming. And this is all without an amp, out of my laptop.

To be fair though, I don't have much experience with headphones. The only one I had before was the Sennheiser HD 555 which isn't bassy at all, so maybe if I was more experienced with some basshead headphones I would have the same complaints as some of you.

Oh and the bass is not boomy at all to me, very quick and accurate IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back