Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #4,126 of 5,992

Quote:
It could also be that the mids are recessed that brings out the highs much more. If you look at my previous headphones in post above - all of them (except for 750DJ) have great mids.

I had two new PRO900s (still have one) and the highs always got tamed with burn-in. That's not to say that these have forwarding mids because the mids definitely recessed than more balanced phones. But, as someone already said, PRO900 are headphones that change the sound signature most, in a good way, throughout the burn in from my experience. And when I say burn-in I am talking 50-200 hours.
They only get better from new
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #4,127 of 5,992
By the way, try listening to binaural recordings with these. It's quite "fun" to say the least
biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

(two samples on the right, midway down the page)

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #4,129 of 5,992

Quote:
To me the Pro 900s are very detailed, but they have the harshest highs I've ever heard on a headphone, in comparison to:
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Westone 3
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 pro
Shure SRH750DJ
Sennheiser PX100
Koss KSC75
This is after the 1st 3 hours of listening though.

After burn in, the harshness goes away. I hated my PRO900s the first 10+ hours.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4,130 of 5,992
I found them warm out of the box. :p

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #4,131 of 5,992
I definitely believe in burn-in. My m80's initially had less bass than the P5. After about 50 hours, the sound was more clear and the bass sounded and even felt more punchy. 

The burn-in was very apparent with my Pro 900's as I noticed the harshness has come down. 
Im ok my 2nd Pro 900 so I will assess them again. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #4,132 of 5,992
Just got mine, bass is pretty good out of the box, but the highs are pretty rough right now, can't wait for them to burn in. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4,133 of 5,992
My "test study song" for burn-in on the 900s has been Cobra Starship, "You Make Me Feel..." (not really my kind of song, but it's the most sibilant one I've heard).

The female lead vocals, when she hits an "S" sound. Holy smokes was that sibilant at first!!! The crystal-sounding harmonics coming off of her voice were overwhelming and unnatural.

Over time, it started sounding less like shattering high-end crystal and a lot more natural.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #4,134 of 5,992
Does anyone else think the headband pad is uncomfortable? Any solutions? 

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #4,135 of 5,992

Quote:
Does anyone else think the headband pad is uncomfortable? Any solutions? 

Sometimes, and sometimes I prefer it over pleather.. Seems to me like it's an on and off thing for me. I'd like to have some good pleather alternatives to switch from time to time.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #4,136 of 5,992

Quote:
24db?! are you serious.. almost everything else drowns out if I do that.
When there was no bass, it was at +2db, but that's not very significant. The biggest effect was turning off crossfeed,, then stereo width, then EQ. I don't know exactly what those values are though since I was using a downloaded cfg from a long time ago. I just find it interesting how it made HD25 and my Westone 3s sound good, but opposite effect with Pro 900s. S-Logic perhaps?

perhaps, and maybe your ears had to adjust to the s-logic also, and changing settings probably made your ears notice some things you didn't before.  

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #4,137 of 5,992

Quote:
Sometimes, and sometimes I prefer it over pleather.. Seems to me like it's an on and off thing for me. I'd like to have some good pleather alternatives to switch from time to time.

I've been moving it around on my head, found a sweet spot atm, so not a big deal anymore :D

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #4,138 of 5,992

Quote:
I've been moving it around on my head, found a sweet spot atm, so not a big deal anymore :D

LOL, that's good. As said, it's more of an on/off thing for me. It has everything to do with the material. The clamping force and all that I don't mind. I actually like it when the headphones sit securely on my head. It's just that velour feels nice sometimes, and sometimes... well, not so nice.

And now that I re-read your previous post, I completely misunderstood it from the start. I thought you were talkiong about the earpads, not the headband. LOL Oh well.. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #4,139 of 5,992

Quote:
LOL, that's good. As said, it's more of an on/off thing for me. It has everything to do with the material. The clamping force and all that I don't mind. I actually like it when the headphones sit securely on my head. It's just that velour feels nice sometimes, and sometimes... well, not so nice.

And now that I re-read your previous post, I completely misunderstood it from the start. I thought you were talkiong about the earpads, not the headband. LOL Oh well.. 

Hahaha, I think I just need to get used to it, my HD598s are really light and just rest on my head. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #4,140 of 5,992
Left my headphones running at home today, burning it with pink noise. Not sure why I still do it with every headphone I buy. Same reason why I still download FLAC when I can't hear the diff between FLAC and MP3. :xf_eek:

Hopefully I'll be a burn-in convert, because that treble needs to be tamed if I'm going to enjoy these to the fullest.

I just got my pro 900 and my first impression was that the bass was not THAT powerful. Perhaps its because I came from the Beats Pro? (I have the senn hd598 which I will be comparing tomorrow) I usually listen to 'beats' like hip hope or dance just to give you am idea of the kind of bass I like. I use Dust to Dust - Special D to test my headphones for bass.

I've been listening to these for about 2 hours now and the bass do seem to grow on me (seems punchier). I guess the question is, should I expect powerful bass without changing the EQ? I currently have it powered by my onboard sounds card as well as well as my Samsung Galaxy SII. When I change the EQ to bass it becomes very powerful indeed, but I had thought it would be like that without changing EQ. Having said that, I do see how these are suited for bass-centric genres as some of the :soft' songs appear exaggerated with the bass.

These cans are growing on me as I listen more though. I agree the treble is a bit high and takes a bit away from the bass and hopefully it tones down a bit after burn in. Despite what seems like negative comments, I am really liking these!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back