Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4,066 of 5,992
I know exactly why they upped their price from $306 to $500... I was going to buy it from RMC Audio as I emailed them about price-matching BH (RMC quoted me $379). They told me they had to check if BH is still authorized to deal Ultrasones - 1 day later they suggested I buy from BH as soon as possible because Ultrasone notified BH that they cannot sell them at $306 because it breaks policy. 

Luckily I ordered on time as well, shipped to Toronto for $360 - I chose to pay customs/duty up front.

Cheers!

Cool - let's see if purolator is on time for both of us. It said 2-6 days. Shouldn't be a long trip from NYC to Toronto. It was shipped at 12pm today, but I can't track using Purolator until it crosses the border. Hope I get it tomorrow (assuming they'll make a delivery attempt past 5:30)

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #4,067 of 5,992
I was going to pull the trigger on these last night when they were 306, but decided to do some more research, damnit. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #4,068 of 5,992
Anyone else notice a boat load of scratches on the silver rings earcups?

They do seem uncommonly susceptable to scratches.

6? months and no scratches yet! I wore them on a plane and at the airport. Protest the Beats! Actually, I wore headphones under the headphones to try to drown out the airplane buzz. x.x

Holy crap. How on Earth have I not listened to this band before? o-o
Any other recommendations, album or artist wise?
Thank you whoever brought this up.

The best albums IMO are Legend of the Black Shawarma and Classical Mushroom. BUT, their best track is Becoming Insane, followed by Project 100

I enjoy Project 100 more, but thanks! Always love discovering new music.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #4,069 of 5,992

I'm at around 70 hours and while I do think they are much better now than when they were new, I'm not entirely convinced if burn-in really is something real, or if it's just in my head. Would be nice to a/b a new and one that has had 200-300 hours.
Quote:
i noticed a big jump at 100 hours.  I would personally recommend 200-300 hours before a listener desides that they are not for them.

The album BP Empire, especially the track Never Ever Land is one of my favorite from Infected Mushroom.

Holy crap. How on Earth have I not listened to this band before? o-o
Any other recommendations, album or artist wise?
Thank you whoever brought this up.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #4,070 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm at around 70 hours and while I do think they are much better now than when they were new, I'm not entirely convinced if burn-in really is something real, or if it's just in my head. Would be nice to a/b a new and one that has had 200-300 hours.

ya i know whatcha mean, you don't know if you just got used to the sound or not.  i have the stock cable and a moon audio cable, and i have a/b'd them a lot and hear a difference that i don't really have to think very long about whether i hear difference or not.  burning in , i still don't know, but still do it.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #4,071 of 5,992
Thinking about coming from the HFI 780s to these, although I enjoy the 780s for music they just don't cut it for gaming w/ a mixamp, everything is just too harsh.

How are the Pro 900s for gaming? I searched the thread and read some stuff that was positive... just wondering if anyone else can chime in lol, also are they less harsh than the 780s?

and, how are they for competitive play? (won't be my main focus, but would be nice to have a pair that'd give me an edge lol)

I want them for gaming and music, as I love the Ultrasone sound so don't really want to switch brand, tried the Beyer DT 770 Pro 80s and they didn't impress me enough with gaming or music.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #4,072 of 5,992

Quote:
Thinking about coming from the HFI 780s to these, although I enjoy the 780s for music they just don't cut it for gaming w/ a mixamp, everything is just too harsh.

How are the Pro 900s for gaming? I searched the thread and read some stuff that was positive... just wondering if anyone else can chime in lol, also are they less harsh than the 780s?

and, how are they for competitive play? (won't be my main focus, but would be nice to have a pair that'd give me an edge lol)

I want them for gaming and music, as I love the Ultrasone sound so don't really want to switch brand, tried the Beyer DT 770 Pro 80s and they didn't impress me enough with gaming or music.

My Pro 900's are pretty good for gaming. I'm a casual gamer, and when I do play CSS the spatial positioning is great. The DT 770 and the D2000 has a wider soundstage, but I find that the Pro 900's are good, probably because of S-Logic.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #4,073 of 5,992

If your goal is to get the Ultrasone sound but get rid of the harshness and use them for gaming, I would strongly recommend the HFI-2200/2400. They are open, which means an expanded sound stage, but you also get much smoother overall sound. They are my current go-to gaming cans (if I need closed, I generally reach for the DT150).

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #4,074 of 5,992

It looks like it should arrive on time :) I ordered over the weekend, and per tracking, it's in Toronto Sorting Centre. If all goes well it should be delivered tomorrow :)
Quote:
Cool - let's see if purolator is on time for both of us. It said 2-6 days. Shouldn't be a long trip from NYC to Toronto. It was shipped at 12pm today, but I can't track using Purolator until it crosses the border. Hope I get it tomorrow (assuming they'll make a delivery attempt past 5:30)

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #4,075 of 5,992
It looks like it should arrive on time :) I ordered over the weekend, and per tracking, it's in Toronto Sorting Centre. If all goes well it should be delivered tomorrow :)

we're probably in the same shipment

here's mine:

2012-01-31 07:38 PM Shipment In Transit via TORONTO SORT CTR/CTR TRIE, ON depot

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #4,080 of 5,992

Quote:
If your goal is to get the Ultrasone sound but get rid of the harshness and use them for gaming, I would strongly recommend the HFI-2200/2400. They are open, which means an expanded sound stage, but you also get much smoother overall sound. They are my current go-to gaming cans (if I need closed, I generally reach for the DT150).

That's the issue though, I want them closed lol.

If I was looking for open headphones I'd go for the AKG 701s or Q701s, just they aren't practical for me atm.

I thought upgrading from the AD700s would be easy too... having a hard time at the moment!

Why do you choose the DT150s over the Pro 900s? Just wondering.

I had the DT 770 Pro 80s and they didn't impress me enough for gaming really, just too muddy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back