Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3,946 of 5,992

Quote:
In an attempt to stear away from beats/pro900 comparisons... Could anybody offer a comparison of the pro900s to other lower end models in the ultrasone lineup, specifically the Hfi-580. The 580s have been given great reviews by lots of people for their bass presence but it seems to me that the pro900s have no lack of bass either. Is it worth me saving up for longer to get the 900s and would anybody consider them useful as part of a portable rig (compared with HFI-580)?
Thanks

In addition to what's already mentioned by others, I find the pro900s to be more punchy, yet not muddy at all. The bass on the 580s almost seem lacking after using my 900s for a while. I also find the pro900s to be much more comfortable. The harder earpads on the 580s gave me clamping issues after a few hours. The 900s are larger than the 580s though and I wouldn't recommend using them outside.

I'd say save up for the 900s and skip the 580s. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3,948 of 5,992

They definitely seal better than HD555. They leak a bit more than MDR-V6 which doesn't leak much at all, and leak less than D5000 which doesn't seal good at all for a closed can. Only at loud volume will they leak. 
Quote:
How are sound leakage on these?  I'm about to pick up a pair and don't want it to be as bad as my HD555.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #3,949 of 5,992
Thanks! Looking forward to your comparison. 

If anyone else has any opinions about the Pro900s vs. Planar Magnetic 'phones such as the HE400 or the HE4, do share!

Quote:
^  My HE-400's should be here in a few days so I'll do a comparison with the Pro 900's and report back.  I have the HE-500's currently and they are a different beast than the Pro 900's.  I don't want to compare really because I am not driving them properly at the moment and two different signatures all together.  

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3,950 of 5,992
Hello. I bought a Pro 900, now I would like to know what are the alternatives to replace the wires? I would like to see references to specific models. Thanks in advance. I find only one - Sigma Acoustics

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,951 of 5,992

Try Moon-audio Blue dragon or Silver dragon.
Quote:
Hello. I bought a Pro 900, now I would like to know what are the alternatives to replace the wires? I would like to see references to specific models. Thanks in advance. I find only one - Sigma Acoustics

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #3,952 of 5,992

For wires, it depends on whether you want to do a "full" recable or just partial. The stock cable uses a threaded 3.5mm jack so you could theoretically make your own using a threaded 3.5mm; a un-threaded plug would work as well, just might fall out more easily. However, the wiring that goes from the left to right driver is still stock. Moon Audio can do a full recable and make it a dual entry to completely bypass the internal wiring so you end up with two 3.5mm (I believe?) jacks.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,953 of 5,992
So I've had these for a while and really enjoy them for EDM and such... But I'm really having second thoughts now that I have an adequate amp and source to handle the big boys if I so wanted to. Especially because most of my stuff is prog. rock. This was basically brought on by my modded SR60s. I love the detail and the bass, but bass isn't really my favorite part of the sound spectrum anymore I don't think. I know about the Kees modding, but is there anything else out there that can get these o open up some more, or is that kind of a lost cause?

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,954 of 5,992
Maybe you should try this. I love it for my Pro 900, especially for prog rock and metal. Definitely worth a try.

The "forward configuration":
http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss

http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/7434039/file.html

Quote:
So I've had these for a while and really enjoy them for EDM and such... But I'm really having second thoughts now that I have an adequate amp and source to handle the big boys if I so wanted to. Especially because most of my stuff is prog. rock. This was basically brought on by my modded SR60s. I love the detail and the bass, but bass isn't really my favorite part of the sound spectrum anymore I don't think. I know about the Kees modding, but is there anything else out there that can get these o open up some more, or is that kind of a lost cause?

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3,955 of 5,992

Quote:
In an attempt to stear away from beats/pro900 comparisons... Could anybody offer a comparison of the pro900s to other lower end models in the ultrasone lineup, specifically the Hfi-580. The 580s have been given great reviews by lots of people for their bass presence but it seems to me that the pro900s have no lack of bass either. Is it worth me saving up for longer to get the 900s and would anybody consider them useful as part of a portable rig (compared with HFI-580)?
Thanks

See my signature for a review done a while ago.
Only difference now is that PRO900 is cheaper so it's now even easier to make a decision :)

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #3,956 of 5,992
Hey guys,

I've purchased a pair of DT880s 600ohms so I'll try to throw up a comparison of them with the Pro 900s sooner or later! They seemed like a good choice for an open phone to compliment the Pro 900s (originally thinking HD 650s, but better deals of the DT880s, and from what I read it seemed that the DT880s would be to my liking).

Oh and oddly I'm using my Pro 900s as a portable headphone today! (Usually I use IEMs)

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #3,958 of 5,992
Hey guys, I wanted to throw in my $0.02 on an issue that was bugging me a little bit shortly after I received my Pro 900s a couple months ago.  It seemed like I was reading a number of people who were selling their Pro 900s and buying D5000s and preferring them.  This kind of irked me at the time, but now I actually have both of them.  The D5000 is more versatile and is a better choice as an all-around can, but the Pro 900 has some definite advantages, particularly in more upbeat electronic genres and for bassy metal, due to the faster response and punchier mid-bass.  For example, if I'm listening to Massive Attack or Bjork, I'll be going for the D5000s, but if listening to Black Sun Empire or Assemblage 23, it's the Pro 900s.  I think that most people intending to build smaller collections and looking for a an upper mid-tier will find them similar enough to need to choose between them, but for collectors, people wanting a larger assortment of bassy or V-shaped cans, or people who listen a lot to bassy music, they have enough differences that both are probably worth keeping. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3,959 of 5,992

Quote:
Hey guys, I wanted to throw in my $0.02 on an issue that was bugging me a little bit shortly after I received my Pro 900s a couple months ago.  It seemed like I was reading a number of people who were selling their Pro 900s and buying D5000s and preferring them.  This kind of irked me at the time, but now I actually have both of them.  The D5000 is more versatile and is a better choice as an all-around can, but the Pro 900 has some definite advantages, particularly in more upbeat electronic genres and for bassy metal, due to the faster response and punchier mid-bass.  For example, if I'm listening to Massive Attack or Bjork, I'll be going for the D5000s, but if listening to Black Sun Empire or Assemblage 23, it's the Pro 900s.  I think that most people intending to build smaller collections and looking for a an upper mid-tier will find them similar enough to need to choose between them, but for collectors, people wanting a larger assortment of bassy or V-shaped cans, or people who listen a lot to bassy music, they have enough differences that both are probably worth keeping. 

Those are exactly my thoughts as well. Been saying it in a few threads now. Obviously with D2000 instead of D5000..

..but I'm saying it again: none of these are going anywhere; they have both earned their place at my home. They are far too different, despite being "bass capable" cans with v-shaped sound signature, to pick one over the other. They serve very different purposes for me. Pro 900 is the more energetic one of them and goes much better with energetic music, while the D2000 goes very well with slower paced music that doesn't need the harder punchier kind of sound the Pro 900 has.

If I were to compare them with an analogy, the D2000 is a feather to your ears while the Pro 900 is a grater. For some music and some moods, I want the feather, but for some occasions I really need the grater.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #3,960 of 5,992
I now have about 146 hours of burn-in time with my Pro 900 and am finally driving them with an amp thanks to Danny. At first I felt that these were too bright and sibilant, but now they're perfect! I used them on my 18hr+ flight to the Philippines and back and they're so comfortable!

Question:
The problem is that the silver on the sides scratch easily and these are too big for me to walk around with so now I'm on a search for cans that sound as close to these as possible, except more portable with equal or slightly more bass for under $300.

I ruled out the HFI-580 because it sounds like they're a complete step down, especially how they have less bass.

I am now considering the Pro700MK2 or V-Moda M100 (which haven't come out yet). I'm leaning towards the Pro700MK2 since the M100 will cost twice as much.
Is this a good choice despite the Pro700MK2 being warmer?

Are there any better options out there?

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back