Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3,931 of 5,992

Quote:
Beats Pros do not have ANC. Do you own any of the compared headphones?

If you have a good seal on your head and are playing music you won't hear what's going on outside. Why is this so important to you? If you're thinking about using these for commuting or travel i'd steer you away. They leak a fair amount of sound and preform pretty rather poorly driven by a laptop or ipod. Take the $500 you spent on the beat and buy Pro 900's and a Fiio e7/e9 combo amp and dac or something similar in price. You'll be much happier.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,932 of 5,992
The isolation of beats pro is better in my opinion but as i said i really didnt like the comfort. So isolation with
a noncomfort did not attract me. Actually if you listen to music in an acceptable volume level you can not disturb
audience near you, but you can hear voices etc so if you raise up volume this time its hard
to hear outsource noise but you can disturb people like in a airplane etc.

Quote:
I actually current own the beats pro. I'm not impressed with the sound but I do like there passive isolation and their feel/comfort. Really need to know how the Pro 900's isolation pairs up.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,933 of 5,992

Quote:
If you have a good seal on your head and are playing music you won't hear what's going on outside. Why is this so important to you? If you're thinking about using these for commuting or travel i'd steer you away. They leak a fair amount of sound and preform pretty rather poorly driven by a laptop or ipod. Take the $500 you spent on the beat and buy Pro 900's and a Fiio e7/e9 combo amp and dac or something similar in price. You'll be much happier.

I'll also second that.

As for comfort, I have no issues wearing it for a few hours at a time. It's usually the fatigue that gets me before comfort. This is after stretching out the headband slightly to reduce the clamping force.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #3,934 of 5,992
Well that is good that it is more comfortable. Because the beats hurt like heck after 30 minutes.
Quote:
The isolation of beats pro is better in my opinion but as i said i really didnt like the comfort. So isolation with
a noncomfort did not attract me. Actually if you listen to music in an acceptable volume level you can not disturb
audience near you, but you can hear voices etc so if you raise up volume this time its hard
to hear outsource noise but you can disturb people like in a airplane etc.

This is very important to me because I work in an office with 8 other people. And I edit videos where most of the time I have to hear the slightest things, especially when I'm syncing up audio to match a persons mouth ect. I plan on getting the Fiio 17 to drive them. Thanks :)

Quote:

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #3,935 of 5,992
Lovin' my Pro900's after a few weeks !!  I'm really happy with my decision to go with these.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a headphone stand for these.  The Pro900's soft "foamy" pad under the headband gets smashed and dented when I hang em on my regular stand.  Although the dent "bounces back" to normal, it still bugs the crap out of me.

Any Pro900 owner find a good headphone stand that wont warp the padding when hanging?

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #3,936 of 5,992
Beats definitely will isolate better as they have pleather pads. I haven't used beats for extended periods of time, but for short periods, they are very comfortable. However, as mentioned already, the bass becomes fatiguing on them. The Ultrasone S-Logic is somehow able to give you powerful bass, but with lower pressure. As a result, the bass doesn't give you headaches after an hour or two.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3,937 of 5,992
My Pro 900 just arrived. I need some more time to process what I'm hearing, but I like it so far. I can't imagine using them for professional use, but they are a total blast.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #3,938 of 5,992
Beats Pros do not have ANC. Do you own any of the compared headphones?

Beats have better isolation especially with ANC. Also better passive. PRO 900s the same size, but probably more durable. Both are equally comfortable, I'd put the Beats ahead though if your head is larger. Haven't worn Beats for extended periods though.

Nope. I don't own the Beats and I don't need to own them to compare. I can say I have tried them.

Especially with ANC doesn't mean it has ANC. A little nit-picky, but it's my fault for mistaking the Pro's for their regulars? Pointing out one thing wrong doesn't invalidate my argument though, so stop sounding so *******-y when you reply please.

Both aren't comfortable, but I would put the Beats ahead of the Ultrasones.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3,939 of 5,992
In an attempt to stear away from beats/pro900 comparisons... Could anybody offer a comparison of the pro900s to other lower end models in the ultrasone lineup, specifically the Hfi-580. The 580s have been given great reviews by lots of people for their bass presence but it seems to me that the pro900s have no lack of bass either. Is it worth me saving up for longer to get the 900s and would anybody consider them useful as part of a portable rig (compared with HFI-580)?
Thanks

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3,940 of 5,992

Quote:
In an attempt to stear away from beats/pro900 comparisons... Could anybody offer a comparison of the pro900s to other lower end models in the ultrasone lineup, specifically the Hfi-580. The 580s have been given great reviews by lots of people for their bass presence but it seems to me that the pro900s have no lack of bass either. Is it worth me saving up for longer to get the 900s and would anybody consider them useful as part of a portable rig (compared with HFI-580)?
Thanks

I recently picked up the DJ1 after owning the Pro 900's for awhile.  I think the DJ1 is essentially the same as the 580's.  I like it much better as a portable rig.  No need for amping, big bass, clear highs without the sibilance that the Pro 900's have.  I do not think the sound quality is that much improved with the Pro 900's and better isolation with the DJ1's.  Just my 2 cents.  

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #3,941 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks

The PRO-900s will shine in a quieter environment.  They also have better detail and frequency separation (the best separation and part of the Ultrasone house sound.)  Excellent imaging and sound stage, for a closed can, as well.  The particular notation is in the three dimensional or vertical portion.  Some headphones can stretch, but they seem very thin.  The PRO-900 doesn't suffer from this and the S-Logic + does wonders.

If you purchase the 580's you'll have a nice can, but you will end up in the I wonder status.  Why not pony up for the best?  Get some used PRO-900s from the forums.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3,942 of 5,992

Quote:
They also have better detail and frequency separation (the best separation and part of the Ultrasone house sound.)

Pro2900 seem to have better details and a better quality bass imo. What a frequency separation ? (not a joke, i don't understand).

Quote:
If you purchase the 580's you'll have a nice can, but you will end up in the I wonder status.  Why not pony up for the best?  Get some used PRO-900s from the forums.

Technically speaking, without a doubt, the pro900 is better than HFi580, but they really don't share the same sound signature imo. I prefer the HFi580 fun sounding to the pro900, like i prefer much more the pro2900 to the pro900/HFi580/HFi780...

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #3,943 of 5,992
I have a strange question regarding headphone comparisons...

I was almost dead set on getting the Pro 900s, but then when I looked that the front page of head-fi, I noticed the HiFiman HE-400s, and suddenly I'm not so sure anymore. I've always wanted to try out planar magnetic / orthodynamic headphones, however they've been always out of my price range.

While most probably haven't heard the HE-400s yet, as from what I've read, there's some shipping delay ATM, can anyone compare the Pro900s to maybe even the HiFiman HE-4s or against general characteristics found in planar magnetic headphones? (I do realize that this can be a bit hard as they seem to be completely different beasts)

I am going more for a "fun sounding" set particularly with punchy bass response as opposed to perfect accuracy. My Denon HP1000s work well enough as my more 'analytical' set, and I do enjoy my AD700s for general listening, but I sometimes miss the extended bass.

This would be for a stationary listening rig, so ambient noise won't be an issue. I have a Little Dot MKIII for a headphone amplifier which should be able to drive the Pro900s and the HE-400s, but I'm not sure it can completely drive the HE-4s. I do have an old Magnavox tube amp pulled from a console which might do the trick if the speaker terminals are connected to the headphones.

I listen to about an equal mix of mainly techno/dance and hard rock, as well as some vocal/classical crossover/symphonic music. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3,944 of 5,992
^  My HE-400's should be here in a few days so I'll do a comparison with the Pro 900's and report back.  I have the HE-500's currently and they are a different beast than the Pro 900's.  I don't want to compare really because I am not driving them properly at the moment and two different signatures all together.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back