Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #3,902 of 5,992
Hmm.  The only way to get those pads seems to be by buying the entire headphone set, and I'm also not looking to spend $120 on some cheap imitation leather.  If they greatly improved isolation as well as positively affected the sound, they might be worth a look, but without seeing comments by the person that modded the Ultrasones with them, I have nothing to go on.

edit: Nevermind, I found the posts in this thread detailing it, as well as pictures.  Thanks.  Seems to negatively affect the soundstage, while enhancing the bass.

As an anecdote; unless these headphones permenanty damage your ears, burn in is real and has a very positive effect.  It might not be night and day as some of the golden-eared snake oil salesmen around here would try to get you to believe, but it's more than just a placebo effect.  These headphones literally hurt my ears during movies when there would be anything in the higher frequencies due to it's ultra metallic and shrilly sounding sibilance.  This has not been a problem for months, even though the sibilance is not completely removed--it no longer causes physical pain.  Source really does matter too, as does having something that can drive them well (*which does not mean you need some $400 - $1000 amp either).  Get an Essence STX if you don't have one for your PC or an E9 for everything else.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #3,903 of 5,992

Quote:
Hmm.  The only way to get those pads seems to be by buying the entire headphone set, and I'm also not looking to spend $120 on some cheap imitation leather.  If they greatly improved isolation as well as positively affected the sound, they might be worth a look, but without seeing comments by the person that modded the Ultrasones with them, I have nothing to go on.

edit: Nevermind, I found the posts in this thread detailing it, as well as pictures.  Thanks.  Seems to negatively affect the soundstage, while enhancing the bass.

I don't think the bass needs enhancements at all.

However, I do think these headphones could use a little more isolation.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #3,905 of 5,992
Getting mine today. Looking foward to burning them in. Also going to have Moon Audio recable them balanced for me to use with my RSA Protector. Drew said he recommends Silver Dragon to tame the highs. Anybody else do this yet?

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #3,906 of 5,992
I've had my pair for almost a year now and I love them; it's perfect for virtually any type of EDM (dnb, breaks, glitch).

Although I'm interested in getting a portable amplifier for my Zune HD so I could use them at school, in the car, or where ever.  My entire music collection is either in V0 or 320 mp3 if anyone was curious.

I wouldn't want to spend more than $100 and I'd still like to keep the bass comparable to what I hear on my regular amplifier at home.

From what others have suggested it's a solid option to go with one of the Fiio amplifiers, but I'm not sure which would be best for the money.  I've seen the E11 mentioned along with the E8; I have no use for a DAC (unless it's better than using a home receiver) so I presume the E11 would be the better option?  Any other suggestions are welcome too.

Also people have mentioned that it's possible to take the earcups from the Denon AH-D5000 and put them on the Ultrasones?  I have a pair which have sadly broken (ear piece detatched; screw is stripped with no replacement) but they're sitting around and collecting dust.  If possible, how difficult would it be to switch them?

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #3,907 of 5,992
Once in awhile, on eBay, you see 110mm circular pleather pads. I don't see any listed today (110x90 ovals only). They usually list for around $7/pair.

Someone posted on this thread (or another one) that they purchased them, tried them, and are very happy with them.

I even wonder if there are local shops which do custom upholstery which would be willing to do a quick job for people.

There are also the Jmoney lambskin pads. I believe he sells those for about $60-$70. They are generally well-reviewed.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3,908 of 5,992

Quote:
Once in awhile, on eBay, you see 110mm circular pleather pads. I don't see any listed today (110x90 ovals only). They usually list for around $7/pair.

Someone posted on this thread (or another one) that they purchased them, tried them, and are very happy with them.

I even wonder if there are local shops which do custom upholstery which would be willing to do a quick job for people.

There are also the Jmoney lambskin pads. I believe he sells those for about $60-$70. They are generally well-reviewed.

Already mentioned in my first post on the previous page how I am looking for something other than the J$ pads.  I'd like to have those, but the guy running the show isn't reliable at all.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #3,909 of 5,992
Just carried out the kees mod on my pro 900's.

It's made an interesting change, bass is down a bit however mids are now more forward which is partly why i did it.

Whether or not i prefer it only time will tell.

Also i noticed, getting these balanced isn't that hard is it, just a case or some drilling and soldering nothing that complex more time and hassle.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #3,910 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm looking for a complimentary pair of headphones for my pro900's when i'm not listening to super bassy music.
Hopefully that's not to vague of a question.

Well, it is. :wink:

I'd say a HD598 would match well for some pronounced mids, warmth and easy listening. But switching between these two sounds brutal as they are complete opposites.

I've just become a Philips L1 fan and I prefer it to the PRO 900. I am quite impressed by the punchy bass, although it's hardly v-shaped. Voices are still up front (depending on the recording) and uncolored. Highs are slightly pronounced but very soft compared to Ultrasone. It reminds me a lot of the Sony MDR-Z1000 comparisons we've had with the PRO 900.

Of course resolution isn't on par and soundstage is a wee bit smaller. But it costs considerably less and sounds great unamped straight from an iPhone. It's definitely the far better allrounder.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #3,911 of 5,992
Guys I would go with the XB700 pads. It does improve comfort, isolation and soundstage. I also no longer have to adjust them around my head to find the sweet spot for the S-Logic. But this better isolation makes the sound more 'closed' thus more bass, but with the Kees Mod it counteracts this, thus geving you a more balanced inclosed sound. Plus it made the mid range sound oh so good.  

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #3,912 of 5,992
I wasn't totally blown away with these when I first got them like some of you have been, but now after 50-60 hours these babies are really coming to life. Love them! The bass has really changed A LOT in my experience.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #3,913 of 5,992
I just started listening to some DT880s right now, after using the Pro 900s since August, and holy crap what a difference they are for rock/metal compared to the Pro 900s; although they are definitely lacking the low end in comparison--so in no way are they a suitable replacement for DnB, Techno or Rap.  Vocals are actually perfectly audible now though for a change, which is nice, and the "brightness" that people complained about with the DT880s are really nothing compared to the 900s.

Sorry, a bit OT, but people were asking about a backup pair of headphones that would compliment the Ultrasones for other genres. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back