Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #3,841 of 5,992
I think they sound fine if they're ripped in 320 kbps.  Anything lower than that is risky, but it can be really difficult to hear the difference between 320 and lossless.  Maybe on high-end amps it's more obvious, but on lower end ones I haven't found it to be a big deal.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #3,842 of 5,992
Thanks. I figured that would be optimal.

Quote:

You want your ears to be fairly central within the cups. I usually put them on then give my head a little shake which lets them go into their natural position. Too far forwards or too far backwards will mess up the S-logic.

Hah, I'm sorry! I know the pain.. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
You just made my wait seem even longer . . . . 

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #3,844 of 5,992
It is very easy to find mp3 @ 320 kb/s or even lossless edm. I'd even dare say that edm is the genre with the best selection of high quality audio.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #3,846 of 5,992
there are websites like beatport and trackitdown that offer high quality lossless tracks. WAV & AIFF are the formats they use, but cost more since you are getting a "Lossless Upgrade"
rolleyes.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #3,847 of 5,992

Hi there guys, I was recommended to look into the Ultra 900's.

I'm a HUGE basshead, but after reading bits from this thread, it seems like the 900's won't be driven well out of an iphone.
I don't own a iphone, but I own a SGS i9000...I wouldn't want to carry around an amp or when I'm at home I'll be driving these through my z-5500's.

So my question is, should I completely forget the 900's due to that fact?

Here is my thread if anyone is interested.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #3,848 of 5,992
With z5500, there is, imo, no problems, but with a smartphone, i don't know. You can drive Pro900 with a smartphone, but the SQ ll be not perfect.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #3,850 of 5,992
Heads up! I will be selling my Pro 900's. They have been kees/markl modded. The asking price is going to be $285 shipped. I will also include a new set of the aluminum pieces so they will look as good as new when you put them in.

Reason for selling: My new IEM's have the same sound signature...

Everything is in excellent condition.

PM me if you'd like... I will let you know the details of the reversible mod they come with.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #3,851 of 5,992

I think the Galaxy S with Voodoo sound would drive these well. They're better than my iPod + T4 combo, albeit it comes with less power. Do consider hooking it up with an amp though. Don't worry about double amping, as the signal is very clean.
Quote:

Hi there guys, I was recommended to look into the Ultra 900's.

I'm a HUGE basshead, but after reading bits from this thread, it seems like the 900's won't be driven well out of an iphone.
I don't own a iphone, but I own a SGS i9000...I wouldn't want to carry around an amp or when I'm at home I'll be driving these through my z-5500's.

So my question is, should I completely forget the 900's due to that fact?

Here is my thread if anyone is interested.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #3,852 of 5,992

Quote:
I think the Galaxy S with Voodoo sound would drive these well. They're better than my iPod + T4 combo, albeit it comes with less power. Do consider hooking it up with an amp though. Don't worry about double amping, as the signal is very clean.

cheers for the info :)
(I am the main video maker for SGS i9000 roms/kernels :D)

But without an amp, how would they fair - just via voodoo if u see what I mean?

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #3,853 of 5,992
Hope it's okay to post this question here:

I just ordered the Pro 900 which will arrive tomorrow 
biggrin.gif
  I'm upgrading to these from the ATH M50's.  Of course, now I'm starting to wonder if I should also upgrade my amp/dac.  Currently I have the FiiO E10 (2011 iMac > E10 > cans).  I like the E10 - definitely better than direct connect to iMac's 3.5mm headphone port.

I've been looking around for a usb amp/dac, and I don't need portability.  It will sit on my desk full-time, plugged into my iMac/usb. The NuForce Icon HD looks nice and won't break the bank (can't justify paying more for an amp/dac than headphones . .  seems silly to me) - that's pretty much all I know about em . .  it looks cool and simple (usb in, headphone out), which is all I'm looking for.

Will this be a significant upgrade from my FiiO E10 and how will they sound with my new Pro 900's?

If it helps, I listen to my music on iTunes (AAC @ 256 - 320kbps)

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #3,854 of 5,992
I don't know how FiiO E10 stacks up against a Xonar ST sound card, (anyone know this?). If it is about as good as that then you'll be fine. When I compare the amp in Xonar ST to my desktop amp there are very little differences. Try first how E10 sounds with Pro 900!

Quote:
Hope it's okay to post this question here:

I just ordered the Pro 900 which will arrive tomorrow 
biggrin.gif
  I'm upgrading to these from the ATH M50's.  Of course, now I'm starting to wonder if I should also upgrade my amp/dac.  Currently I have the FiiO E10 (2011 iMac > E10 > cans).  I like the E10 - definitely better than direct connect to iMac's 3.5mm headphone port.

I've been looking around for a usb amp/dac, and I don't need portability.  It will sit on my desk full-time, plugged into my iMac/usb. The NuForce Icon HD looks nice and won't break the bank (can't justify paying more for an amp/dac than headphones . .  seems silly to me) - that's pretty much all I know about em . .  it looks cool and simple (usb in, headphone out), which is all I'm looking for.

Will this be a significant upgrade from my FiiO E10 and how will they sound with my new Pro 900's?

If it helps, I listen to my music on iTunes (AAC @ 256 - 320kbps)

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #3,855 of 5,992

Quote:
I don't know how FiiO E10 stacks up against a Xonar ST sound card, (anyone know this?). If it is about as good as that then you'll be fine. When I compare the amp in Xonar ST to my desktop amp there are very little differences. Try first how E10 sounds with Pro 900!

Thanks, hope the FedEx guy comes early tomorrow !!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back