Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #3,811 of 5,992
I don't understand this though. My Pro 900 are unbalanced for some reason. The sound is a little to the left. I know this because when I listen on alined speakers the sound is in the center or even to the right a little bit. Anyone got any idea why this is?

Blame the pads or your headphones aren't sitting on your head properly. Or both. Or maybe your hearing is better on one side. Tons of factors before I would consider manufacturer defect.

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #3,812 of 5,992

Quote:
Blame the pads or your headphones aren't sitting on your head properly. Or both. Or maybe your hearing is better on one side. Tons of factors before I would consider manufacturer defect.

See the thing is that I noticed this on all headphones, some more some less than others. The Technics RPDH1200 are the worst with this problem. I tested this by lifting one side and then the other and it's always the left that sounds better and has more bass. The only thing I could think of is that my ears have impacted wax I don't know about. Or maybe it's just how headphones are built.

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3,813 of 5,992

Quote:
See the thing is that I noticed this on all headphones, some more some less than others. The Technics RPDH1200 are the worst with this problem. I tested this by lifting one side and then the other and it's always the left that sounds better and has more bass. The only thing I could think of is that my ears have impacted wax I don't know about. Or maybe it's just how headphones are built.

I think I've experienced in the past as well. I have always assumed that it was due to faulty internal wiring that goes from the left ear cup to the right. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #3,814 of 5,992
I have experienced it too although not quite like you. I tried compensating for it by turning down the volume on the left ear pad. It made the sound appear at center as it should but it sounded weird. Something was wrong with the soundstage but I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was. It seems like some frequencies are louder on the left speaker than on the right, but not all frequencies. I have not experienced this with any other headphones so it's not my ears. Anyway, the difference got toned a bit down when I switched to J$ pads and the small difference left I got used to. If you ever find a fix for this please let me know!

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #3,815 of 5,992

Quote:
I have experienced it too although not quite like you. I tried compensating for it by turning down the volume on the left ear pad. It made the sound appear at center as it should but it sounded weird. Something was wrong with the soundstage but I couldn't quite pinpoint what it was. It seems like some frequencies are louder on the left speaker than on the right, but not all frequencies. I have not experienced this with any other headphones so it's not my ears. Anyway, the difference got toned a bit down when I switched to J$ pads and the small difference left I got used to. If you ever find a fix for this please let me know!

Exactly man. It's only some frequencies, mostly bassdrums but not deep bass. And for me this doesn't happen on speakers. I have Mackie HR624 and have perfectly aligned them. Never a problem there. But with headphones, it's always been a problem. And what's weird I didn't notice this at all with the Pro 900s in the beginning. They're almost fully burnt in now and I am wondering if they could still be burning in and balancing themselves. Maybe I missed something in the manual. Then there are also tracks that have poor balancing issues. The worst track with this issue is a trance track called Dennis Sheperd - Left of the World (Mike Shiver Garden State Dub Mix). You can tell the producer has hearing problems. Who the hell pans a bassdrum and snare to the left, freaking Dennis of course.

Anyways, it's either that the Pro 900s reveal balance issues like no other phone or my brain is still getting used to them or maybe I need to flush my right ear with some solution.

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #3,816 of 5,992
I have experienced that too, with all my headphones. I had to turn down the volume a little bit on right channel, but it was more noticable when I played them at low volume. I've fixed it now though, turned out that the volume controller on my amp was faulty. Fixed it by tightening the screws. It's most likely not related to your problem, but is it more noticeable when you have low volume compared to load to very load?

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #3,817 of 5,992
This happens to me when the headphones aren't sitting "straight" on my head. The Pro900 drivers from my understanding only produce sound through the main opening rather than the entire inside of the cup due to the S-Logic. It takes me about 1 minute whenever I use mine to get them on just right so that the sound is centered.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #3,818 of 5,992

Quote:
This happens to me when the headphones aren't sitting "straight" on my head. The Pro900 drivers from my understanding only produce sound through the main opening rather than the entire inside of the cup due to the S-Logic. It takes me about 1 minute whenever I use mine to get them on just right so that the sound is centered.

Pressuring the pads differently against my ears aligns it better but for it to remain aligned I must keep the pressure. I cannot achieve perfect alignment for good without constant pressure, unfortunately :frowning2:

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #3,819 of 5,992
So I got the e7 DAC and e9 amp today, as well as my headphones. I've come to find I need to buy some sort of adapter to use this with my macbook? Can anyone point me in the right direction? My computer does not recognize the e9 via the USB cord provided. :frowning2:

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #3,822 of 5,992
Okay, i've got it figured out. Everything works now after some searching and help from Fiio. One last question, where should I set the volume of the e7? It goes from 0-60 but I see no difference. Everything seems to be based on the volume of the e9.

Also, I have searched for this on here, I don't want to bug you guys but I came up empty on my own.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #3,823 of 5,992

Quote:
Okay, i've got it figured out. Everything works now after some searching and help from Fiio. One last question, where should I set the volume of the e7? It goes from 0-60 but I see no difference. Everything seems to be based on the volume of the e9.

Also, I have searched for this on here, I don't want to bug you guys but I came up empty on my own.

That's because the E7 is only working as a DAC when it's docked, the E9 is doing the amp work. Stop worrying and start enjoying the music!

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #3,825 of 5,992
These cans will finally be here tomorrow, can't wait! It's a pain to read this thread while waiting... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back