Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #3,796 of 5,992
Hello everyone. I just joined this site only to tell you how you can make your Ultrasones (and I think any other headphone) sound much better and more balanced, even after burn in, though I only have the Pro 900 and it works perfect with them. I tried the Kees mod and it was good but not as good as this mod. The Kees mod took away the soundstage, gave a bit more low and more mids, but also a lot more highs which still hurt my ears like the stock sound. So I got rid of the Kees mod and put back everything as stock. I got back the soundstage but lost the mids and lows. The other thing that I hate about Ultrasone is that the pads make the skin around my ears itchy, and yes I do take showers regularly
tongue.gif
. So to cure the problem I went online and looked for a pair of pleather pads and finally found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380371134866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I got them today and thought damn I made a mistake because they weren't as think as the regular Ultrasone ones, but oh well. But man was a wrong!!! These pads should cost $100. They do a similar thing a Kees mod does, except they don't make the highs prominent or uncomfortably loud like the Kees mod. ONLY NOW everything seems more balanced. The soundstage is a bit better than Kees mod but not as good as stock. Though the bass, mids, and highs are just perfect now. The phones are also reaching their 200 hour burn in and sounding much better in general though not THAT much different than without burn in. Finally most people wouldn't call this a mod at all but the reason I call this a mod is because the sound is so much better than stock and it's very easy to do it. You just replace the itchy Ultrasone pads. Please try this mod before you think of selling your Pro 900 and you may change your mind like I did.

And of course don't bash me if you think I'm wrong
deadhorse.gif
. Hearing is subjective and it all depends on what you listen to, the burn in time, ear adjustment, etc. I am a bass head and listen to nothing but electronic music. Though I think I am right about this mod in general. And if you'd like you can call this the Ultrasone Z-Mod
rolleyes.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #3,798 of 5,992
My 900s came in on Monday, and I'm busy burning them in. 

They're great. 

I've looked extensively at old threads, but didn't find a good answer to finding an amp for the 900s. 

Currently, I have a Fiio e11. I'm amazed at how clean this amp is, even when cranked up to full volume. I thought I'd be getting some serious noise through the 900s because they are so analytical. I haven't noticed them adding any noise at all.

One thing I like a lot about the e11, is that I can adjust the gain (to bring up the mids), and have 3 levels of bass eq (which is a very clean eq, doesn't bleed much into the other frequencies).

But, the e11 doesn't have much guts. I can crank up the volume all the way, fully eq'd and listen to many songs comfortably. I can tell the 900s would show more of their stuff with more power. I can "live" with the e11's, but, I'm greedy and want more!

I sure wouldn't mind an amp which allows me to do some basic eq (like with the e11s), has more power, and maybe warms the 900s up a tad (tubes?). I could even go for no eq if the amp punches up the bass, fattens the mids and at least warms the sound up somewhat.

What do some of you, with the 900s, recommend for a desktop amp, no more than $300? I mostly run the 900s off an iphone or ipod.

Two amps I'm considering are the Maverick and the Qinpu 6000. Any recommendations? Advice?

Thanks!  ;:O)

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #3,799 of 5,992
Dec 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #3,800 of 5,992

Quote:
Maybe I missed something, but they don't list a replacement cable for the Pro 900, only the 550/650/750/2500/DJ1/HFI2200

They are normally all similar, except jack Neutrik termination for 2900/900...

I have already used my Hfi2400 or 650 cables on pro2900 or pro900, i haven't heard change.

But you can also make your own cable, its easy.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3,801 of 5,992
So I got my 900's and amp (e7/e9) earlier today and I love them already. One question though, how loud should the source be, IE ipod or computer? Should I set it to maxed out on the ipod/comp and then control it with the amp? Also the DAC has a volum separate from the amp dial, where should I put that?

Thanks in advance, total noob here.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3,802 of 5,992
source max and control from amp.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #3,803 of 5,992

Quote:
So I got my 900's and amp (e7/e9) earlier today and I love them already. One question though, how loud should the source be, IE ipod or computer? Should I set it to maxed out on the ipod/comp and then control it with the amp? Also the DAC has a volum separate from the amp dial, where should I put that?

Thanks in advance, total noob here.

Sometimes leaving the source at max volume can lead to clipping or distortion. Generally 75-90% volume at source is recommended. But yea, you want to leave the volume control the last machine in the chain i.e. your amp.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #3,804 of 5,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to cure the problem I went online and looked for a pair of pleather pads and finally found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380371134866?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Do you have to cannibalise the spare set of pads and glue the plastic ring to these?

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #3,805 of 5,992
Dec 23, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #3,806 of 5,992
No you just take the old pads off and slide the leather ones on. It's a bit of a pain but once you do it you'll be happy. Currently I have found that with the new leather pads a tiny bit of bass is lost, but I still think it's worth it.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #3,807 of 5,992

Quote:
Do you have to cannibalise the spare set of pads and glue the plastic ring to these?

No you just take the old pads off and slide the leather ones on. It's a bit of a pain but once you do it you'll be happy. Currently I have found that with the new leather pads a tiny bit of bass is lost, but I still think it's worth it. It may be because of the shape of my head though, but either way I definitely recommend soft leather pads instead of any others.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #3,808 of 5,992
Dec 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #3,810 of 5,992
I don't understand this though. My Pro 900 are unbalanced for some reason. The sound is a little to the left. I know this because when I listen on alined speakers the sound is in the center or even to the right a little bit. Anyone got any idea why this is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back