Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #3,784 of 5,992
There are some INSANE prices for things on the internet... and the crazier prices are the ones from dealers without user reviews. I don't risk buying from those. The dealers I know to be legit have the 900s from $306-313 at the lowest.

Just the other day, I saw a Phonitor 2730, advertised as new, and listed for around $215. Yeah, RIGHT! Kiss your $215 goodbye. The legit dealers have it at $1900 (and change) at the lowest. 

So, Skinny, I wouldn't worry about that $235 price. It's very likely bogus.  ;:O)

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #3,785 of 5,992

Quote:
There are some INSANE prices for things on the internet... and the crazier prices are the ones from dealers without user reviews. I don't risk buying from those. The dealers I know to be legit have the 900s from $306-313 at the lowest.

Just the other day, I saw a Phonitor 2730, advertised as new, and listed for around $215. Yeah, RIGHT! Kiss your $215 goodbye. The legit dealers have it at $1900 (and change) at the lowest. 

So, Skinny, I wouldn't worry about that $235 price. It's very likely bogus.  ;:O)

'tis not me who's worried, already own a pair.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3,786 of 5,992
Can anyone tell me/confirm that the Pro 900 and Pro 900 S-Logic are the same phone, just listed differently? I see on the side bar here they each have separate "own it/had it" listings, and the ones listed as 900 Pro S-Logic are the ones I just bought on Amazon for $300, while the ones listed soley as Pro 900 are $550....Did I make a mistake? Maybe i'm just over thinking this. The descriptions seem to be the same.

Also, what would be the best amp setup for around $200 for these? These are my first dip into real headphones, any input at all is appreciated
redface.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #3,787 of 5,992

Quote:
Can anyone tell me/confirm that the Pro 900 and Pro 900 S-Logic are the same phone, just listed differently? I see on the side bar here they each have separate "own it/had it" listings, and the ones listed as 900 Pro S-Logic are the ones I just bought on Amazon for $300, while the ones listed soley as Pro 900 are $550....Did I make a mistake? Maybe i'm just over thinking this. The descriptions seem to be the same.

Also, what would be the best amp setup for around $200 for these? These are my first dip into real headphones, any input at all is appreciated
redface.gif

Don't worry they are the same model. As far as I know there has only been one Pro 900 and there have not been any revisions of it.

What is your source going to be? 

I highly recommend getting an amp+dac. I found that getting a dac and listening to flac files from my computer made quite a difference. At least as much as having an amp by itself. Especially when you have resolving headphones such as the Pro 900. I seriously can't even listen to my Sony Walkman mp3 player anymore.  

Around your budget there is the FiiO E9+E7 combo and Audio-GD NFB-12, both popular and well rated amps/dacs.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #3,788 of 5,992

Quote:
Don't worry they are the same model. As far as I know there has only been one Pro 900 and there have not been any revisions of it.

What is your source going to be? 

I highly recommend getting an amp+dac. I found that getting a dac and listening to flac files from my computer made quite a difference. At least as much as having an amp by itself. Especially when you have resolving headphones such as the Pro 900. I seriously can't even listen to my Sony Walkman mp3 player anymore.  

Around your budget there is the FiiO E9+E7 combo and Audio-GD NFB-12, both popular and well rated amps/dacs.

Thanks for the reassurance! I was a little nervous I had bought a lesser version. And I just got the E9/E7 combo, thanks for helping me to seal the deal! I had been looking at that option and reading opinions of the setup on here, and it seemed like a good choice, at least in my budget range. I know Fiio has a new setup coming in a few months, E17? But I can't wait that long! 

Also, my source will be my computer, and all 320kbs files. I don't have any flac, I listen almost exclusively to trance so access to that quality is rare. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3,789 of 5,992
320kbps is plenty good. To be honest I think I could be happy with that (maybe)...but you know, audiophiles will be audiophiles. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new headphone setup immensely. The FiiOs' neutrality won't interfere with the Pro 900's sound sig and if anything will just enhance it, meaning your trance will sound amazing and extra trancy.

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3,790 of 5,992
I must get these soon...
Been using Sony MDR-V6 since the driver on my Denon AH-D5000 broke 1.5 years ago, and I really miss high quality sound. Lately I've been looking around for a headphone that could potentially replace the D5000. I very much loved the sound of the D5000, but I always felt like there were something lacking in metal and fast music, (which I listen to 80% of the time). I always felt like the bass were too slow, especielly with double bass drums and not quite the punch I wanted, but the sub bass were EXCELLENT. From what I've read the Pro 900 seem to fit me really good, but my only worries are that the mids will be too recessed for metal, I don't want guitars to sound crap. Does anyone have any experience with Pro 900 and music like Dream Theater, Opeth, some trash and such? And do you think the X-Can V8 would match the Pro 900? X-Can V8 is a pretty neutral amp, maybe slightly warm. I'll be using the DAC from the Xonar ST, which worked well with the Denon's. Any help is greatly appreciated

Excellent thread by the way :D

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3,791 of 5,992
I must get these soon...
Been using Sony MDR-V6 since the driver on my Denon AH-D5000 broke 1.5 years ago, and I really miss high quality sound. Lately I've been looking around for a headphone that could potentially replace the D5000. I very much loved the sound of the D5000, but I always felt like there were something lacking in metal and fast music, (which I listen to 80% of the time). I always felt like the bass were too slow, especielly with double bass drums and not quite the punch I wanted, but the sub bass were EXCELLENT. From what I've read the Pro 900 seem to fit me really good, but my only worries are that the mids will be too recessed for metal, I don't want guitars to sound crap. And do you think the X-Can V8 would match the Pro 900? X-Can V8 is a pretty neutral amp, maybe slightly warm. I'll be using the DAC from the Xonar ST, which worked well with the Denon's.

Excellent thread by the way :D

PRO2900s all the way. :D

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #3,793 of 5,992
Hey guys, somehow my cable (the one that terminates in a 1/8 inch jack) got bent, and while I straightened it and it visually looks ok now, sometimes I'll get audio drop-out on one side if the cable is jiggled.  Not a big deal if I'm stationary, but really annoying for walking around.  Anyone know the best place to get an identical replacement cable?  Thank goodness it's detachable.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #3,794 of 5,992

Quote:
Hey guys, somehow my cable (the one that terminates in a 1/8 inch jack) got bent, and while I straightened it and it visually looks ok now, sometimes I'll get audio drop-out on one side if the cable is jiggled.  Not a big deal if I'm stationary, but really annoying for walking around.  Anyone know the best place to get an identical replacement cable?  Thank goodness it's detachable.

ultrasone.com

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #3,795 of 5,992

Quote:

Get a blue dragon cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back