Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #3,526 of 5,992
Thanks for the advice! I saw the thunderpants one and was thinking of trying something like that. There is just something about drilling into the back of the cups that bugs me though, I just fear that it might alter the acoustics a little. Of course it didnt affect the thunderpants I think. I think you're right though, wood gives a really retro feeling! I might do something to the headbands to match the new wood cups. I had 'painted' my ultrasone 550s wood a long time ago and recreated the metal plate as well. (I did it just for fun because I was really bored at that time). I think I could do that for real on these wood cups and the headband as well so it will all match.

heres some pictures of what I did in the past:

How it looks like before....

Both sides done with the "wood" treatment

Quote:

Wood automatically gives me a retro feeling... and retro means you need metal and leather. I suddenly just got the image of a AKG style headband, except with the bands made of metal rather than plastic. That would be so sick!

Googled vintage headphone and this came up... they even come with a EQ on the cup!

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #3,528 of 5,992

Quote:
WIN! I am glad you find the Pro 900 comfortable cause that is the only thing that makes me want to sell these. And the Pro 900 will continue to change but you probably won't notice it like the first 100 hours. Also what are you powering the Pro 900 with?

And don't forget to just enjoy your headphones and don't let the upgraditus bug bite you
wink.gif

For my PC I am using the Creative Titanium HD sound card but no dedicated amp. I tried using them on my Thunderbolt phone but the sound was tiny at best. I will be picking up the ZO2 portable amp when it drops and see how that works out for me. Question though... Can I use a portable amp with my titanium HD souncard? Just want to make sure I don't run into any compatability issues.

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #3,530 of 5,992
Welding with a butane torch? Never tried it, but from what I have done in my shop class at school, we use either an arc welder or a mig welder for most metals. Acetylene torch for some really big stuff. I don't know whether the butane torch would be able to heat it to a high enough temperature (efficiently that is).

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #3,531 of 5,992
hmm.. an arc welder huh? I guess the butane torch might be painstakingly slow and I might have to use metals which have a lower melting point =( oh well. I'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll complete it and report back on the sound soon! =)

Quote:
Welding with a butane torch? Never tried it, but from what I have done in my shop class at school, we use either an arc welder or a mig welder for most metals. Acetylene torch for some really big stuff. I don't know whether the butane torch would be able to heat it to a high enough temperature (efficiently that is).

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3,532 of 5,992
Guess what I got in the post today? A broken pair of XB700 :D guess whats going to happen tonight? :wink: transformation from PRO900 to PRO9700 :wink:

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #3,533 of 5,992
Haha grats :D

I think I'll call mine Pro $900 then :D

Quote:
Guess what I got in the post today? A broken pair of XB700 :D guess whats going to happen tonight? :wink: transformation from PRO900 to PRO9700 :wink:

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #3,534 of 5,992
I think you should call it PRO9$$ though that doesn't really look that neat :xf_eek: any piece of advice for me before I start butchering my stock pads?

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #3,535 of 5,992
Hey man.  Just saw your pm.  sorry about that.  Yeah, just cut them bitches up.  Don't take off the fine mesh covering.  Cut as close as possible to the sprocket.  I used a pocket knife, so you should be good with an Xacto or Stanely.  When you cut them off, the inner portion is this crazy-ass rubber coated nylon multi-thread.  it's kind of tough to get through--be patient and you'll get it.  Don't use scissors...i cut the **** out of one of the mesh on one of my sprocket/cog things trying to use scissors to get through it.

If you're using hot glue, put it on the cog.  It'll be a lot easier than trying to guesstimate where to put it on the pad.   I used Gorilla Glue...that stuff is amazing.  I tried Crazy Glue originally, but it didn't hold very well and dried too fast.  The hot glue will definitely work better than Crazy Glue, but I'm not 100% on how well it'll hold, but it'll make it hella easy to attach.

Also, make sure you're pretty careful when you pull apart the ring that is attached to the XB700 pad--you really don't wanna tear your pad.  That ring also covers up the outer seam of the pad--you want to make sure you put that part of the pad facing downward. 

Once you get the pads on the sprocket, and then attach the sprocket to the can, gently pull all the way around the edge of the pad to make sure the sprocket is seated properly.  It's a little tougher to get the sprocket seated because the pads are so damn big and soft, and you'll notice a significant difference in sound if all of the teeth are not in place underneath their respective seats on the can.

There are three important things. They're pretty obvious, but just in case: 1) make sure you center the pad on the sprocket.  2) get as close as possible to the sprocket when you cut off the old pad.  3)  make sure you center the pad.

I'll PM this to you, too, just in case.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #3,537 of 5,992
Thank you very much for this indeep guide. I think anybody who decides to do this transformation will find this guide very very usefull. Thanks again! Unfortunately I was not able to start the works last night, cause it looks like I dont have the right screwdriver to release the XB pads :frowning2: to the shop after work :wink:

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #3,539 of 5,992
I just purchased a pro 900 with a blue dragon cable from another Head-Fier and I absolutely love these cans.  I've been pairing them with the ZO at the lowest setting and I couldn't be more satisfied with the sound.  I love these as much as some of my top-tier iem's.  

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #3,540 of 5,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back