Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #2,671 of 5,992
 Debating on if I want to spend 2 weeks worth of working on a pair of Darth Beyers. Something tells me the bass on them will be slightly better but the rest of the spectrum will sound like pure trash.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2,673 of 5,992
Ahhh finally got my Ultrasone PRO 900. I gotta say I'm not underwhelmed off the W4 one bit, I run it through the M-Stage these guys are beasts!

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #2,674 of 5,992

Quote:
Ahhh finally got my Ultrasone PRO 900. I gotta say I'm not underwhelmed off the W4 one bit, I run it through the M-Stage these guys are beasts!

Heya,

Glad you like 'em. Feed them a lot before you make a real judgement. And of course, break out the bass EDM.

Very best,

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #2,677 of 5,992
this is a very common misconception.  Volume has almost no indication of an amplifiers ability to "drive" a headphone.  I think the Pro 900s are louder out of my laptop than they are on my M-Stage, however, there is no mistaking that the M-stage drives them better.  

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2,678 of 5,992

Thank you head-fi. I mean it. I wouldnt of known about these Ultrasone 900s without it. I love my 900s.

Crappy phone pic, but I thought I would share something. 

Thanks for having me

J

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #2,679 of 5,992
Well took the leap finally. I've been rocking the Pro 750s for a while now, but as I've got a bit of extra cash I decided to pick up the Pro 900s and a new amp.

I'm thinking of grabbing the Audio-gd NFB-12. Any opinions on how that'll pair with the Pro 900s? I currently have a Fiio E7, so I suppose I could just get the Fiio L7 add-on to make it just a DAC, and then pair it to an outside amp. My pro 900s will be for 99.99% home use, so size doesn't matter. Actually would the L7 and Little Dot MK III option be better then the NFB-12?

Thanks for you input guys!

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #2,680 of 5,992
Lol...I would buy LDI+ and a set of XB700s to steal the pads off.  :)  I really love my hifiman EF2, which is essentially an E7 & LDI+ combo in a single unit--the LDI+ also being an entry-level hybrid amp.  With the money you save over the MKIII, you could pick up the XB700 pads, which--for me--made every bit as big of a difference in overall sound quality as the EF2 did.

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #2,681 of 5,992

Quote:
Well took the leap finally. I've been rocking the Pro 750s for a while now, but as I've got a bit of extra cash I decided to pick up the Pro 900s and a new amp.

I'm thinking of grabbing the Audio-gd NFB-12. Any opinions on how that'll pair with the Pro 900s? I currently have a Fiio E7, so I suppose I could just get the Fiio L7 add-on to make it just a DAC, and then pair it to an outside amp. My pro 900s will be for 99.99% home use, so size doesn't matter. Actually would the L7 and Little Dot MK III option be better then the NFB-12?

Thanks for you input guys!

Heya,

I paired the PRO900 and Little Dot MK III at home all the time. It was excellent. The stock tubes of the LDMK3 actually warmed up and tamed the highs of the PRO900, I didn't have sibilance, and it wasn't too bright so I could turn up the volume for some bass-face and it was nothing but smiles.

Very best,

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #2,682 of 5,992
I just picked up a couple of Dragonforce albums last night and...holy piss these things are AUTHORITATIVE with metal.  I'm not sure how compressed this is cuz I can't actually see it from work but...

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #2,683 of 5,992
Just to let you know, my first perceived sound differences with my new Ray Samuels amp were false. I accidentally connected an amped source, thinking the dock was unamped. However, Apple sucks and simply amped the output of the official dock.

New impressions: Absolutely no change in sound signature!

Yep, that's right and I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be. For one, I can feel the strength and I don't longer feel like I must raise the volume for better sound, and second the sound is just a little more refined. Spikes sound rounder, mids a wee bit lusher.
All in all, the sound increases by maybe 5% compared to the iPhone 4.
I could just as well rave on here on how clear and smooth the sound is, how the soundstage opened up or how highs are not sibilant anymore. But I'm trying to stay objective and consider the price of 395$ in relation to a 300€ phone. (Luckily I paid far less for a mint SR-71 so I will keep it and enjoy the tiny bit improvement.)

For all of those thinking about spending hundreds of dollars on amps, I want to warn you. Just like with cables, IMO, amps are hyped way too much. If you're 100% sure you want to stick with the PRO 900, you can consider an amp. Else, save the money!

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #2,684 of 5,992

Quote:
<snip>

Thank you head-fi. I mean it. I wouldnt of known about these Ultrasone 900s without it. I love my 900s.

Crappy phone pic, but I thought I would share something. 

Thanks for having me

J

You're very welcome Jay!  Bringing great audio to all those who come to this site what we at Head-Fi strive for.
smily_headphones1.gif
(we really need a PRO900 smile)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back