Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #2,536 of 5,992
 I heard someone say before that when you find that perfect sound signature for you, you'll know it. This must be the perfect sound signature for me, these things give me goosebumps. I'm glad the Pro 900 clan here recommended them in almost every bass thread and alot of other threads, I finally found the one.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2,537 of 5,992

Quote:
 Well, I did come from the XB line which is literally like putting super soft pillows on your head. These things are like bricks compared to the XB pads.

I understand that you are in pain...
bigsmile_face.gif

I come from pleather ones like the stiff ones from DJ1 that's why i fancy them i guess..

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2,538 of 5,992

Quote:
I understand that you are in pain...
bigsmile_face.gif

I come from pleather ones like the stiff ones from DJ1 that's why i fancy them i guess..

i came from technic dj headphones so I'm with you on thinking the pads on the pro 900s are alright. I've experienced the akg k702 which i think really aren't that bad in terms of comfort and sound quality, but I can deal with the stock pads on the pro 900s. Not a big deal since i came from dj headphones that really clamp your ears for the best isolation

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,539 of 5,992
Quote:
 Sorry I took so long, I was going back and forth between my XB1000s and the 900s and trying to get a good assessment. I still want to compare some more, but I've come to a conclusion for now. The XB1000 wins easily... in the comfort department. Other than that, I want to throw the XB1000s in the freaking trash, wow. They 900s so much clearer and more detailed, the artists in the songs almost sound like different people entirely. So this is what hi-fi sounds like. I'm sorry but whoever compared the XB1000s to the 900s before is wrong IMO. The more I listen to them the better they're sounding too, especially the bass. Speaking of bass, they're the king, but you already knew that. They don't do every part of the bass the best, for instance the Darth Beyers can go deeper, and the XB500s and 700s can do rumble type bass from bass tracks better. Overall though, it's still the best because it goes pretty deep, has a good punch to it, and it can rumble some as well. The highs are on par with the XB1000s and the the mids are a good bit better. I still can't believe how much clearer they are though, I'm listening to them now. Whereas the Darth Beyers just have bass and the XB line just has bass and highs, the 900s are the whole package in my opinion. Amazing bass, great highs and good mids.

Don't throw them away.  Tear the pads off and put them on the PRO900.  Your head will thank you.  :)

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #2,541 of 5,992
They're pads, bro.  I wish they worked miracles like that.  No, they make the PRO900 comfortable as a mo'fo'. I would say they sound better, too, but not drastically so.

Perceived bass response, depth, and punch are all better because of the much greater isolation. Actually, everything sounds a little better thanks to the improved isolation. The soundstage improves a bit because the thicker pads push the drivers out a bit farther from your ears, but to my ears nothing really gets lost in the extra depth.

They also solve the fitment/positioning issues, because if you glue them on the sprockets correctly your ears will always stay centered (where they're supposed to be, according to Ultrasone).

Also, please keep in mind that a/b'ing pads is a huge pain in the ass, because by the time I take one set off and put the other one, I can barely remember what the first set sounded like.  Alls I know is that I kept one set of velour pads but they haven't gone back on the PRO900 since I put these pads on.

Did I mention they're hella comfortable?

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #2,546 of 5,992

Quote:
 I want to switch the pads out somehow, but I asked how to take the pads off and didn't get a response.
frown.gif

Edit: I figured it out, now I can't get the XB1000 pads off. LOL

Slickman, there's a screw that you have to remove.

edit:  Here's the link to the how-to for removing the XB pads.  It's for the 500, but they worked the same on the 700, so i would assume this extends to the 1000 as well.

Also, here's my original post regarding my experience removing the pads and fitting them to the PRO900 sprockets.  I was going to do a tutorial, but I'm impatient and once you get started it's so simple it seemed like a waste of time. The most difficult part is getting over that initial fear of cutting up the PRO900 pads.

Oh, and don't forget that you have to remove the ring that connects the XB pad to the XB headband.  It's got a couple of clamps that you have to pry apart with a screwdriver.  It's easy enough with a small jeweller's screwdriver and a little torque.  I wouldn't recommend gluing the pads down at first...I let the tension stick them to my head until I decided that I do, indeed, like the sound.  Then I commenced with the irreversible parts.  :wink:

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #2,547 of 5,992
I think I see it, there'a a screw on the inside of the pads. I'm very interested in getting my XB1000 pads on my 900s. The only weakness my 900s have is comfort, if I can fix that I have the perfect headphone for me.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Slickman, there's a screw that you have to remove.  I'll go back and find the link in just a second and update this with it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #2,548 of 5,992
Quote:
I think I see it, there'a a screw on the inside of the pads. I'm very interested in getting my XB1000 pads on my 900s. The only weakness my 900s have is comfort, if I can fix that I have the perfect headphone for me.
beerchug.gif

Updated.  There are actually a few screws.  Only one connects the pad to the band, the others connect the driver to the band.

And I know exactly how you feel.  These are perfect for me, too.  I love them now.  I haven't touched my woodied Grados since I got them in. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #2,550 of 5,992
Quote:
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Thanks for that. That is some sub bass love right there.

Very best,

Glad you liked it, Mal.  You won't get that kind of head lovin' from your stats!  :wink:  I'm looking forward to having a central FL meet when I get home next year...I'm actually pretty excited to hear those new HE beasts.

Out of curiosity, what tubes are you using with your LD?  I got the hifiman ef2 in the other day, and the Mullards aren't quite as warm as I was hoping they'd be.  I'm sure they'll be great with my Grados if I ever stop playing with the PRO900 long enough to plug them in, but I want something warm for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back