Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #2,342 of 5,992

Quote:
I'd really like to try those pads on mine, but I don't want to cannibalise my XB700.

You can get them off without hurting the XB700, and use clamping force to hold them in place on the PRO900 against your head.  It sounds ghetto, but it's surprisingly effective.  That's what I did for most of the day at work while I decided if I wanted to permanently sacrfice the 700.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #2,343 of 5,992
Ahh I want to try these on my 900s, but I want to sacrifice my spare pads for the J$ Dennon pads. Which to chose >.> .....

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #2,344 of 5,992
Yeah.  The only reason I offered my XB700 up to the PRO900 gods is because J$ isn't shipping right now for whatever reason...I'm impatient, and the XB700 costs the same as the J$ pads including shipping.  So it really wasn't much of a decision.  I bet the J$ pads probably sound a bit better and I would imagine they won't get as sweaty, since they're lambskin instead of faux leather.  Whenever these pads wear out, I'll get some J$ ones.  :)

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,346 of 5,992
I think it might be time to send out a search party for my missing bass. It's been gone for almost a day now, and I've had them burning in the whole time. I really don't get this. Songs sounded dramatically different (awesome) when it was still relatively new. Now they're flat(er). The 990s have much better bass. 

I checked to see if I accidentally unbalanced the EQ, but no. Completely perplexed. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2,347 of 5,992
Skimming through this thread for the first time since I was interested in buying these headphones has reminded me of an issue that I seemed to forgotten of.

There's just a general lack of bass in my headphones compared to my Denon AH-D5000's.  After plugging those in which have plenty of burn-in on them, I was playing bass-heavy electronic music and the difference was literally night and day.  Somebody mentioned that the Denon's only had ~10% more sub-bass, but it certainly felt at least 50%, if not more to me.  Even the "boomy" feel of a car subwoofer was had a similar feel in the Denon's while the 900's couldn't even compare.  Playing back the same tracks now has severely left me disappointed and unsure what to do.

The first time I used the 900s they blew the Denon's away in terms of bass, but I don't entirely recall what I did, but it just suddenly disappeared the within 30 or so minutes.  I was comparing both headphones, so I was probably plugging and unplugging each while playing certain songs, and then it was just gone.  Even I have to use more volume to reach the same loudness on my Denon's.

I don't know if people are going to claim it's burn in, but I've had these since June and I'm sure I put over 200+ hours into these.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2,348 of 5,992
Make sure you guys both have those pads secure btw. Mine literally fell off twice on their own even though I secured them properly. I think somehow they sometimes just tend to unscrew themselves by listening to them and laying them down flat or something. Continue to burn them in-just leave them running nonstop for a couple of weeks so that you KNOW they have at least 400 hours on them and you won't have to worry unless the bass is still MIA then you'll KNOW if there's a problem. Also, recheck the cord attached at the cup and make sure it's completely screwed in as well. Hope it's that simple lol.

-Daniel

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2,349 of 5,992
Wow, that actually fixed it...  I was almost certain that they were on securely as they have never felt loose when putting them on. 

Thanks for the tip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Make sure you guys both have those pads secure btw. Mine literally fell off twice on their own even though I secured them properly. I think somehow they sometimes just tend to unscrew themselves by listening to them and laying them down flat or something

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #2,350 of 5,992
Oh my god, this burn-in madness needs to stop!

You leave your headphones playing for 8 hours and expect them to change the sound quality? What?!! I would never ever consider headphones if that were the case! I don't want to buy a surprise box and have bass disappear after I tried them and spent 300 quids!

This is my 5th Ultrasone and none of them improved over time! It took me one hour to get used to the huge amount of bass of the PRO 900. I'm now easily past 200 hours (but I'm sure as he'll not counting!) and there no changes at all!
I have days on which I just need bass - that's when the 900 is lacking - and I have days when I need to rest - that's when bass is overpowering and highs are sibilant. That's it.

A simple smile from a beautiful girl is much more likely to change the sound signature of the phone than any technical vague explanations! Your mind is weaker than the product of highly capable engineers. Live with it!

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #2,351 of 5,992
I'm sure that burn in is 80% mental, but the fact remains that I swear they sounded differently when I first bought them. The bass was outstanding. Now, they're sibilant as hell. 

I'll mess with the pads tomorrow. I hope it's as simple as that. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #2,354 of 5,992
Feel better? Madness?!?!?! MADNESS???? Just turn the ******* things on for two weeks and not worry about it! It either works or it doesn't-at least at that point you won't have to WONDER cuz what's done is done! PLENTY of people in this thread are hearing DRASTIC changes over time with these-others aren't. SO BE IT. screw*-an-A you sound like a *****. Let's not derail this thread with this age old debate. ****.

-Daniel
deadhorse.gif

Quote:
Oh my god, this burn-in madness needs to stop!

You leave your headphones playing for 8 hours and expect them to change the sound quality? What?!! I would never ever consider headphones if that were the case! I don't want to buy a surprise box and have bass disappear after I tried them and spent 300 quids!

This is my 5th Ultrasone and none of them improved over time! It took me one hour to get used to the huge amount of bass of the PRO 900. I'm now easily past 200 hours (but I'm sure as he'll not counting!) and there no changes at all!
I have days on which I just need bass - that's when the 900 is lacking - and I have days when I need to rest - that's when bass is overpowering and highs are sibilant. That's it.

A simple smile from a beautiful girl is much more likely to change the sound signature of the phone than any technical vague explanations! Your mind is weaker than the product of highly capable engineers. Live with it!

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #2,355 of 5,992
Hey, protip guys, check the pads. 
basshead.gif

I know that's what you recommended, but I was stupidly stubborn and didn't think that something so minor could be the cause. Sorry I doubted you all!

**** these things are bright though. They're definitely fun headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back