Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #2,281 of 5,992

Quote:

Did you see the pic of the 900s that have the XB700 pads on them?  I thought it was posted in one of your threads, but I can't find it now.  :frowning2:  They looked amazing...it made me consider keeping the 700s just so i could tear the pads off!  But it would be much more fiscally responsible for me to just order the J$ pads.  lol.

lol I have my XB700 sitting right next to me and I honestly want to rip the pads off because it is SO soft and comforable, but I cannot because I love these dearly. And did anyone elses Pro 900s come with and extra set of Black Velor Pads (Not the Silver)? I just checked my box right now and I had an extra pair and when I switched them and it changed the sound! I did a comparison of the extra and stock ones and though they had the same thickness, the extra pair's cloth part almost looked like it had a lesser thread count and was much more transparent than the stock one. It improved the soundstage a bit more, brought out the mids a little more and improved the isolation. I'll try to get some pics up to show what I mean.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #2,282 of 5,992

Notice the transparancy between them? This really makes me want to buy the J$ pads now, just imagine the sound 
beyersmile.png

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #2,284 of 5,992
I'm very disturbed that I can't find the pic of the PRO900 with the XB pads.  :-/  I'm beginning to think that maybe I dreamed of it...

Edit:  In my search, I knocked at least one problem out. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553762/sony-xb-700-mod

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #2,285 of 5,992
Uhmmmmmm...so, problem.  I've been letting this biznatches burn in for the last few days while I sleep, and I put around 4-5 hours a day on them while I'm at work.  So they've probably got about...oh...40 hours or so on them so far? 

I came in to work today, ready to get lost in a cloud of bass, and...didn't.  At first I figured I was just getting used to the sound, but after a couple of hours I realized that wasn't it.  During this Bar9 track, everything seemed a little skewed...I thought it might be the track, so I played a Little Wayne song that I know has pretty balanced bass.  The left cup has signficantly less bass than the right cup.  I tested it by listening to the same 30 seconds of the same track over and over again.  I listened several times with them on the way they're supposed to be, first lifting the left cup up, then the right cup, then both cups on.  Then I flipped them around to make sure it wasn't my ear.  It's not.  My right ear gets the PRO900 tingles, my left doesn't.  Flip them around, and the left starts vibrating, but the right doesn't.

...is this normal?  Cuz it doesn't seem like it.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #2,289 of 5,992
So I found out the other reason they sounded bass light when I went in to work...

I plugged them into my laptop as soon as i got in my room and was immediately ******* consumed by bass. As in, it chewed me up, swallowed me, and vomited me back up partially digested.  My PRO900s are so filthy I feel like I need another shower after listening to them.  So...in short, I'm pretty sure it's my source at work.  lol.  

I seriously have to check foobar every few minutes to make sure the eq didn't somehow get turned up while I wasn't looking.  I've been A/B'ing the PRO900 and HFI780 for the last few minutes, and the 780 sounds...thin...after a few minutes on the 900 crack.  It's really addictive.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #2,290 of 5,992

Quote:
So I found out the other reason they sounded bass light when I went in to work...

I plugged them into my laptop as soon as i got in my room and was immediately ******* consumed by bass. As in, it chewed me up, swallowed me, and vomited me back up partially digested.  My PRO900s are so filthy I feel like I need another shower after listening to them.  So...in short, I'm pretty sure it's my source at work.  lol.  

I seriously have to check foobar every few minutes to make sure the eq didn't somehow get turned up while I wasn't looking.  I've been A/B'ing the PRO900 and HFI780 for the last few minutes, and the 780 sounds...thin...after a few minutes on the 900 crack.  It's really addictive.

Yes, my co-worker used these plugged into his laptop. It's a corporate laptop, so frills such as upgraded soundcards are not part of the package. Needless to say, they did not have the oomph needed to really hear the Pro 900s. 

And I know what you mean, that bass is really satisfying. It's so omnipresent, but it doesn't infringe on the other frequencies at all, in my opinion. It just wraps them up in a beautiful Snuggie of low-frequencies. I cannot go back to my HFI-580s either. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2,291 of 5,992
Same here. 

I got my 900's yesterday and listened to them at home with my WA6 SE and they sounded great, all the bass I could ask for. 

Got to work plugged them into my Macbook and the bass is almost gone, it's definitely missing that OOOMPH!  I think I'm definitely gonna get the E7 now. Can someone clarify this to me: 
When I plug the E7 into my Macbook, will I be using it as a DAC and an Amp or just a DAC. What would improve the sound more out of my Macbook, E7 or E11 ?

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2,292 of 5,992
Does anybody else feel like he has to max the volume with these?

It's not that they sound any different at lower volume, but the presentation just asks you to feel like you were hit by a truck. I listen at a lot higher volume than usually with these!

Hmm, I just hope S-Logic works and doesn't affect my hearing in the long run...

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #2,295 of 5,992
With "max" I meant as much as I can enjoy! :wink:
That's about 80% on the iPhone (volume restricted by German law).

I usually listen at low volume, and I'd go to 50% on the iphone with any other 'phone for the same perceived volume. However the PRO 900 just want me to actually play loud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back