Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2,251 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Amazon is easy to deal with when it comes to returns, right? I already plan on returning the Beyer since I got the 32 ohm version - yeah, I know. I didn't plan on getting into amps, so figured I'd play it safe. 

My thinking is getting the E9 and giving the 900s a run through. If Amazon is cool with it. Now I just need to convince myself that the AHD2000s don't interest me...

This is a horrible rabbit hole I've gone down. How do you all do it? 

There is an interesting thread around here (can't remember its name, unfortunately) that talks about the different types of headphone listeners :) But basically it goes from the people that have tons of headphones, people who search for their personal holy grail, and people who get headphones known to be very flexible through physical modding.

The (somewhat) easier way for you to find a short to midterm answer to your headphone cravings would be for you to realize both what kind of music you listen as well as the conditions you have to listen to it (if you need portability, isolation, for instance) and overall sound signature preferences. All this is more or less based on a small to medium headphone collection.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #2,252 of 5,992
This is my holy grail.  They really aren't very forgiving of crappy rips, though.  I'll listen to one song and be utterly stunned by how amazing it sounds, and then something ripped from Pandora comes along and...blah.  Then back to my CD rips and I'm back to picking my jaw up off the floor.

I can't even say how many times I've had to stop and check to make sure I don't have the "XB700" eq set on fb2k (about +6db & +3db at the two lowest freqs).  This is ridiculous.  My 700s are now sitting my room, packed up, waiting to be shipped back to Amazon.  Unamped, from the same crappy source as my PRO650, they sound like every penny I paid for them.

One of my coworkers who is on shift after me bought some AHD1100s a few weeks back. They sound "ok", but I think the XB700s sound almost as good for 1/3 the price.  He, however, is venomously defensive over them, no matter what set of cans I've presented him with on my quest for the holy grail the last month or so.  Everything else is "good, but I like [insert something here] about my Denons better".

Last night, I let him listen to the PRO900 (unburned, mind you).  He went through 3 of his favorite DNB tracks, slowly took them off his head, and looked at them in his hand for a minute.  Then, without looking at me, he goes "How much were these...?"

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #2,253 of 5,992

Quote:
Last night, I let him listen to the PRO900 (unburned, mind you).  He went through 3 of his favorite DNB tracks, slowly took them off his head, and looked at them in his hand for a minute.  Then, without looking at me, he goes "How much were these...?"

Hah,

A fair fight would have been D2000 vs PRO900 in those two brands.

Very best,

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #2,254 of 5,992
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Amazon is easy to deal with when it comes to returns, right? I already plan on returning the Beyer since I got the 32 ohm version - yeah, I know. I didn't plan on getting into amps, so figured I'd play it safe. 

My thinking is getting the E9 and giving the 900s a run through. If Amazon is cool with it. Now I just need to convince myself that the AHD2000s don't interest me...

This is a horrible rabbit hole I've gone down. How do you all do it? 

I have a very understanding financial manager (read: wife), and I knew exactly what I was looking for from the start.  Honestly, though, if I had listened to Malveaux from day one and bought the PRO900, I don't think I would have bought any other headphone.  Period.  I've not heard the D2000--the only pair I know of out here is with my ZO at some location I can't pronounce--but I know for a fact that the PRO900 kicks the **** out of the D1100.

I don't think you need anything as beefy as the E9 to power these.  The ZO powered the 650 to ear-bleeding levels, and it should put out about 665w/channel on the 900 (~75% of what the E9 puts out).  If people say the E7 is enough to fuel these, then the E9 would be waaay more than enough.  If you're happy with your source (laptop, dap, whatever), I'd probably try picking up a PA2V2 from Gary for $65 shipped or one of the Thunderbolts from Dave at HotAudio.com (79.99 to 99.99 shipped).  Or wait until next month and get the latest version of the ZO.  :)

Edit:  Oh, and Amazon is **** easy to work with on returns so long as you have all the original packaging.  They won't refund shipping because there's not an actual problem with the order, but you've got 30 days to get a full refund with all the original packaging, or a partial refund without.  And it takes about 30 seconds to generate an RMA on their website.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #2,255 of 5,992
The Pro 900 kills the D2000 in every area, imho. No contest there. I would also say that the Pro 900 was almost the end-all headphone for me. It's sibilance and unnatural timbre held it back. Plus, I much prefer the airier, more detailed sound of open cans. As you may have imagined, the Pro 2900 is #1 on my wishlist right now, and hope it can fix some of these 'flaws'.

-Daniel

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #2,256 of 5,992

Quote:

Ok, sold. I've been going through a pretty big DNB, dubstep, techno, whatever you call it phase, and this sounds perfect for me.

The fact that Amazon is pretty forgiving with returns, and the fact I have Prime, makes this a no brainer. The 900s will be here Wednesday with the E9. This will give me time to test them both out (even though the 990 is a 32 ohm) and choose the one I feel is best. 

My thinking behind the E9 is that even though the 900s are easy to power, I *might* end up liking the 990s better, and if that's the case then I'll pick up the 600 ohm version. 

Either way, I'm excited. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #2,260 of 5,992
Nice choice with the E9 and Pro 900 combo, although I feel a slightly warmer amp would do wonders for these (m-Stage). The E9 does bring out the vocals a bit more which will help both the 900s and 990s. I feel the 990s had much more recessed mids than the 900s, but they are still clear as day and hyper-detailed on the Pros. They are both pretty **** sibilant though-especially with the Fiio. Be sure to burn them in at least 24 hours (the amp and cans) as there will be noticeable improvement across the board. My .02

-Daniel

Quote:

Ok, sold. I've been going through a pretty big DNB, dubstep, techno, whatever you call it phase, and this sounds perfect for me.

The fact that Amazon is pretty forgiving with returns, and the fact I have Prime, makes this a no brainer. The 900s will be here Wednesday with the E9. This will give me time to test them both out (even though the 990 is a 32 ohm) and choose the one I feel is best. 

My thinking behind the E9 is that even though the 900s are easy to power, I *might* end up liking the 990s better, and if that's the case then I'll pick up the 600 ohm version. 

Either way, I'm excited. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #2,261 of 5,992
I've definitely noticed recessed mids with the 990s, which is even more pronounced because of how bright it can be. I'm getting used to it, and it's softening with use, but I'm hoping that the 900s aren't quite so V shaped. 

Another stupid question, that probably doesn't go in this thread, but I'll ask it anyway: Do I need to get an E7 to go with the E9? I was planning on going laptop/desktop - E9 - headphones. 

Thanks. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #2,262 of 5,992

Quote:
I've definitely noticed recessed mids with the 990s, which is even more pronounced because of how bright it can be. I'm getting used to it, and it's softening with use, but I'm hoping that the 900s aren't quite so V shaped. 

Another stupid question, that probably doesn't go in this thread, but I'll ask it anyway: Do I need to get an E7 to go with the E9? I was planning on going laptop/desktop - E9 - headphones. 

Thanks. 

You don't need a E7 to go with the E9 as the E9 will accept external input from a 3.5mm jack but if the onboard audio you are feeding it is not up to scratch then opt for the E7 as well.  Mids do improve over time but the 900 is definitely a U curve.

Quote:
The Pro 900 kills the D2000 in every area, imho.

I'd say its a bit closer than that.. the D2000 has sparkle and some nice sub bass. I think its priced about right.... 2/3rds of the cost for the 900 ~£230 vs £330~. Dont get me worn the Pro is a monster but  some of my friends prefer the D2000 when demoing both, it all depends on how they like the ultrasone sound vs the more upfront Denon signature. I would recommend The D2000 to anyone who cant afford the Pro 900 and amped all the way.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #2,263 of 5,992

Ok, that makes me feel better. Well, I'm going to use my 900's straight from my Macbook and see how that sounds, if I feel like I'm missing something I'll get either an E7 or a USB dac. I don't have my lossless music on my work computer, I mostly use Pandora so I don't think I'll hear a big difference.  
Quote:
Heya,

In a blind A-B test, I bet you wouldn't know the difference between the E7 and E11 on the PRO900's. I wouldn't worry about it. Get which ever one does the most for you in overall appeal. Note, the E11 cannot be charged while in use (double check me on that, but that's a huge, huge turn off in my book, if that's accurate).

Very best,

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2,264 of 5,992
Pandora is unlistenable on the 900s, trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back