Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,206 of 5,992
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2,207 of 5,992
I contacted Ultrasone, which forwarded my request to a french company, who ordered the earpads from Ultrasone 
tongue_smile.gif
 (I think Ultrasone doesn't ship outside Germany)

Edit: get the silver earpads if you can... they are really worth it! My Pro 900 looks really nice now 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Nice deal man..
May i ask from where?

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,211 of 5,992

Quote:
i think that may be forever unreleased along with ruffneck (electro version). remember skrillex's laptop getting stolen?

How does everyone's laptop keep getting stolen?  Mt Eden's laptop was jacked, too.  Do they just leave that **** sitting on the metro or what?

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #2,214 of 5,992

The E7 is pleny powerfull but only in the USB DAC output which is how I use it at work (itunes)... with the E7 you'd get a better SQ than oboard + bass boost + charge and play and cant on the e11, all music even pandora streaming should benefit. However if you are primarily running off a ipod go for the e11 as the pure amp mode on the e7 is a bit weak.  There is the new E10 on the horrison which is just a usb powered  mini desktop amp which might be worth a look too.

"Do they make J$ pads for the 900's or are you ordering the ones for Denons ?"  they are the J$ denon ones glued onto a Pro 900 quickfit plate.

Quote:
Hey guys I have an amp at home. But im going to be using my 900's mostly at work so I'm not sure whether to get the E11 or the E7. I know the amp on the E11 is more powerful, but how much more powerful is it compared to the E7. 

I use a macbook pro at work to listen to music, but I mostly listen to through Pandora so I don't know whether I will be even able to hear the benefit of the dac from the e7.

@Zoqi

Do they make J$ pads for the 900's or are you ordering the ones for Denons ?

I want to get some pads that provide more comfort and isolation. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #2,215 of 5,992

Quote:
The E7 is pleny powerfull but only in the USB DAC output which is how I use it at work (itunes)... with the E7 you'd get a better SQ than oboard + bass boost + charge and play and cant on the e11, all music even pandora streaming should benefit. However if you are primarily running off a ipod go for the e11 as the pure amp mode on the e7 is a bit weak.  There is the new E10 on the horrison which is just a usb powered  mini desktop amp which might be worth a look too.

"Do they make J$ pads for the 900's or are you ordering the ones for Denons ?"  they are the J$ denon ones glued onto a Pro 900 quickfit plate.

isn't it the E15?

anyway, they're also making an E17 with the E11 amp + a dac. can't wait for both of them!

to all the ultrasone owners: go listen to Existence EP by Excision and Downlink. Just do it. It's a perfect example of what these can do.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #2,216 of 5,992
Hey, I just wanted to say that I have a pair pro 900 that I'm probably willing to sell. They have silver pads and j money v2 (the old but better ones). I live in europe, so sending within europe would be no problem. Furthermore, they are in great condition. Only the aluminum plates have a few minor scratches, but that is honestly inevitable. they haven't even left the house yet....
Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers,
Leander

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #2,217 of 5,992

I was almost set on getting the E11, but I think I might get the E7 since I spend a lot of time at work and don't spend that much time walking around with headphones. If I use the E11 at work straight from my Macbook without a DAC, do you think I will hear an improvement?

I'm guessing the E7 will still be a decent amp if I decide to use it when I'm on the go right?

I see you also have the HD650's. I'm thinking of selling mine when I get the 900's but I think I will miss their sound signature.

Quote:

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #2,218 of 5,992

Quote:
I consider myself more of a junglist, but I do like some dubstep.

There is good dubstep, mainly the 'old skool' (yes I know dubstep is not old) producers who were there at the beginning. Skrillex is almost single-handedly turning dubstep into some sort of joke genre. The mainstream rubbish that is about nowadays is not in the true spirit of the original dubstep sound IMO.

Why?  Skrillex is bringing new listeners to dubstep, people who may not have been into the darker elements of the genre.  New listeners to Skrillex means new people buying albums from the likes of Rusko, Goulding, and Flux Pavilion, which pushes new money into the genre.  Which, in turn, means new artists coming to the genre and new, higher quality tracks being released from existing artists. 

I mean, I dig it if you're not into Skrillex's sound...it's definitely more of a housey or clubby dubstep.  But to dismiss "mainstream" dubstep--which is already a fringe sub-genre of a fringe genre--as rubbish isn't doing the artists who are trying to pull new listeners in very much justice. 

Quote:
I see you also have the HD650's. I'm thinking of selling mine when I get the 900's but I think I will miss their sound signature.

I miss mine already.  :frowning2:  I mailed them off to a new home yesterday, and my PRO900s aren't here yet.  All I have are my XB700s and my Grados now, and while the XB700s are good enough, they just don't go as low as the 'sones did, and the sound signature isn't nearly as exciting.  It's like comparing a Civic Si to a BMW 135i.  :-/

I need some Ultrasone lovin!

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #2,219 of 5,992
I just can't stand that new listeners being brought to dubstep by artists like Skrillex think that their sound IS the dubstep sound. "OMG this is SICK", "It's soooo FILTHY", "Skrillex invented dubstep LOOLOL" etc etc.

The elements that make dubstep, dubstep are being lost to this "mainstream" dubstep you speak of. It's turning into mass-produced, lowest common denominator music (think happy hardcore). Souless dubstep that focusses on high frequency, ear grating synths and not on deep sub-bass and heavy, tribal beats. It's similar to Pendulum and their god awful brand of drum and bass rock/metal.

And in the UK at least, it's hardly a fringe genre. Dubstep hasn't been underground since like 2002. Go to any club night, even a non-dubstep specific night and you can guarantee they'll drop some cheesy dubstep remix of a pop song at some point.

But as you say, people like what they like and I'm certainly not gonna stop the easily accessible sound of this mainstream dubstep taking over. I just know when I look at an event flier if the line up suits me or not. Thankfully, there are still producers and labels that will keep the old sound alive.

Quote:

I found this excellent video that illustrates my point. Watch it to the end!
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #2,220 of 5,992

Quote:
I just can't stand that new listeners being brought to dubstep by artists like Skrillex think that their sound IS the dubstep sound. "OMG this is SICK", "It's soooo FILTHY", "Skrillex invented dubstep LOOLOL" etc etc.

The elements that make dubstep, dubstep are being lost to this "mainstream" dubstep you speak of. It's turning into mass-produced, lowest common denominator music (think happy hardcore). Souless dubstep that focusses on high frequency, ear grating synths and not on deep sub-bass and heavy, tribal beats. It's similar to Pendulum and their god awful brand of drum and bass rock/metal.

And in the UK at least, it's hardly a fringe genre. Dubstep hasn't been underground since like 2002. Go to any club night, even a non-dubstep specific night and you can guarantee they'll drop some cheesy dubstep remix of a pop song at some point.

But as you say, people like what they like and I'm certainly not gonna stop the easily accessible sound of this mainstream dubstep taking over. I just know when I look at an event flier if the line up suits me or not. Thankfully, there are still producers and labels that will keep the old sound alive.

I found this excellent video that illustrates my point. Watch it to the end!
biggrin.gif

Dude, first, thank you for a perfectly rational and utterly reasonable explanation that is free from derogatory comments.  I was |---| close to quitting head-fi this weekend thanks to the trollers. 

In the U.S., I would hazard to say that 80% of the populace doesn't even know what DNB is, much less dubstep.  I had never heard any techno until I fell in love with Orbital from the Hackers soundtrack (admittedly a long time ago).  Now, a whole new generation of future techno afficionados are being brought up thanks to Benny Benassi and that other terrible club/house dude...whassiname...David Guetta.  Here's hoping they discover some decent stuff or move on to other genres.

Because of this lack of exposure, I was only introduced to the wub about 8 months ago when Flux Pavilion came up on Pandora.  When I looked'em up on youtube, i found myself running through the entire UKF Dubstep playlist, then I went and looked it up on wikipedia to find out everything I could about it.  Now, I love this ****.  Like I said in an earlier post, though, i really wasn't that big of a fan of Skrillex until I saw his live video.  That made me realize that he's not dubstep...it's a bit of a mix of the odd time signature of dubstep and the energy of club DNB; which works when I'm in the mood for it.  I can see how he'd be considered the happy hc of dubstep, though.  That comment made me lol.

All of that said...I can't believe I just wasted four minutes and thirty-three seconds of my life on that video.  not to mention the bandwidth.  It's like the Bass Cannon video, if the Bass Cannon video had sucked in every conceivable way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back