Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #1,906 of 5,992

Quote:
Volta, did you receive my PM? I'm not sure if it sent properly...

Yep, received and replied
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #1,907 of 5,992

Quote:
For those that were wondering.. The Fiio E11 amps the pro 900 really well, the bass boost makes them ultra meaty.  I can now use the 900s for portable use luckily i don't need to worry about the cans slipping as I have a massive heeed
L3000.gif

My 2 cents on burn in... Ultrasones most definitely need 100s of hours of slow roast. I have both the  HFI-780s and Pro 900 and they took along time to ditch the harshness.  In contrast my Denon D2000 were nice from day one but still improved over time.
I swap between them (work / home) and don't think brain burn exists to any significant degree unless you can brain burn multiple cans
blink.gif
but that's a whole other debate. 

For those who cant quite love the pro 900 weather it be s-logic or comfort or Ultrasone sound you should look at the Denons, they are more forward, have some deep sub bass and super comfy.

Ironically, of the four pairs of headphones I now own, despite my initial reservations--and still moderate annoyance with sibilance--after a session of 900s, any time I use either of my other pairs now, I think of how "bad" they sound.  Even though they all bring out the midrange more, they aren't as accurate with it and I'm actually liking what the 900 does to the vocals of many bands.  It kind of gives a "live" feel for the vocals, even on studio recordings, and for acoustic and live albums it's really nice. 

Just bought some felt, so I'm going to see if it does much for me.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #1,908 of 5,992

Quote:
Ironically, of the four pairs of headphones I now own, despite my initial reservations--and still moderate annoyance with sibilance--after a session of 900s, any time I use either of my other pairs now, I think of how "bad" they sound.  Even though they all bring out the midrange more, they aren't as accurate with it and I'm actually liking what the 900 does to the vocals of many bands.  It kind of gives a "live" feel for the vocals, even on studio recordings, and for acoustic and live albums it's really nice. 

Just bought some felt, so I'm going to see if it does much for me.

I don't know if you're listening through a PC or not, but have you experimented with some judicious EQ'ing with something like Electri-Q? I tamed the sibilance of my old DR150s with great effect with the SineGen/Electri-Q method.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #1,909 of 5,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2) Amps. I'm looking at the ZERO dac/amp and the AUNE. Will these do a decent enough job? Any other recommendations? thanks

I tried the '09 Zero Dac with Opa267 upgrade and these are fine enough - much better than the iPhone 4, for example.
It adds a little warmth and is easier on the highs. I can imagine for HD territory (SACD) there will be better amps needed but not for the money. (I paid 75 € for mine first hand.)

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,910 of 5,992
These take a very specific size of phillips screwdriver.  I have five "small" to "very small" screwdrivers, and none of them fit correctly, so I cannot open them up.  Adding felt to the middle hole does in fact tame the highs slightly, and it also makes it sound a little more open--the problem is, it really hurts clarity in a major way (you can tell where it cuts out frequencies in a negative way during music) and makes the overall sound extremely dark.  Not being able to open them up, I cannot know how adding another piece in the inner cup would affect them, so maybe that fixes the issue slightly.

So, I've tried simply moving the piece to the direct center of the metal plate so that it's not covering anything up at all.  This seems to have an extremely minor effect on sibilance, but not enough to completely remove it from being really bad on audio it was already exaggerated on.  Better than nothing I suppose.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,911 of 5,992

Quote:
So my Pro2900s arrived today. I'm guessing I'm the only one that currently owns both the pro900 and the pro2900. :p
I'm not goning to make any premature judgments, but these might very well be the headphones you are looking for MetroBBOY.
More on that soon...

Any more thoughts on the differences between them?

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #1,912 of 5,992
Jul 27, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,913 of 5,992
I've come to the conclusion that the Xonar Essence can't fully amp the 2900s. I'm looking for something to take some of the edge off the highs, open up the soundstage, and add a little bit more bass, anyone have any ideas? I really have no idea when it comes to amping,
I'd like to keep it under $350 and I don't need something portable. I was thinking a hybrid or a tube amp, but I don't know what the differences really are besides that tubes tend to be more fun, and SS amps tend to put more energy into the highs.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,914 of 5,992
Here are some options for ya:

Solid State- Fiio E7/E9 combo or just the E9 itself, Schiit Asgard, Matrix M-stage

Tube:Little Dot Mk1, Schiit Valhalla

Based on your description of the PRO2900, you'll probably want an amp that has slightly warmer sound signature which tubes would would be right up your alley, although the Asgard has been described as having a warmer than typical solid stated sound.  Does your sound card have a line-out function as in bypassing the amp section of the Xonar completely?

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,915 of 5,992
It has SPDIF, and the 2 red/white connectors that are on the back of all the amps I've seen(this is lineout right?)

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,916 of 5,992
Decided to take the plunge and purchase PRO 2900s.

Will do a PRO 900 vs PRO 2900 shoot out soon, I hope. :)

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #1,917 of 5,992
Tubes will subdue the bass of the Pro 2900, the M-Stage would be perfect

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #1,919 of 5,992
Really? I always thought tubes added bass or were more dark. What do you mean by subdue the bass? less quantity?

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,920 of 5,992
Tubes add warmth, but warmth in the mids.  Solid State amps are strong in dynamics which, in this case, means the bass.  SS amps, from what I've read (and I've read a lot) are usually known for having stronger bass than tubes.  

I've heard the M Stage, ibasso d4, audio gd nfb10, and the nuforce hdp.  I think that is it haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back