Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #1,696 of 5,992
m

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,697 of 5,992
sorry it wont let me edit...............

disregard posts.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,698 of 5,992

Quote:
I might as well get the PRO 2900 now. I can't believe the package with my PRO 900 are officially lost again?! I will seriously punch the next postman I see!

Wow, that's a real shame. I really feel for you, but it baffles me that you had such bad experience in Germany. From my experience, thus far, the Austrian and German postal system is among, if not, the best in the world. The American and Canadian postal system, on the other hand...

However, the pro2900 and pro900 are two very different beasts, so decide based on personal needs and wants, not blind rage. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,699 of 5,992
Oh, and speaking of sound leakage, the Pro 900 leaks enough sound that it sounds like an open headphone. Pro 2900 cannot be that much worse.

Quote:
Well, I could safely assume that a Pro 900 VS Pro 2900 review is long overdue, and of interest of many people
wink.gif

I would love to do one, but I need a Pro 900 along side, which I do not have.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #1,700 of 5,992
The pro 900 do not leak that much. In fact, if you listen to to them at a modest volume, it's almost impossible for any other person to hear the music playing. Open headphones are a completely different..

Btw, Colmustard, I remember you writing that the blue dragon cable paired with the j$ pads results in too much sibilance. Well, I think I found a cure. Try fastening the pads so that the center is one notch above the horizontal axis. This might seem awkward at first, as the pad won't align perfectly with your ear, but, over time, I actually find it more comfortable and, because the drivers are now placed a little further from your ear, the treble won't be as piercing and the sound should be a bit weightier.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #1,701 of 5,992
Quote:
The pro 900 do not leak that much. In fact, if you listen to to them at a modest volume, it's almost impossible for any other person to hear the music playing. Open headphones are a completely different..

No, that cannot be right. I let my dad listen to them back when I had them, and he was listening at moderate volume. I swear, I thought I left my amp on high gain or something, because I honestly thought it was hurting his ears as I could hear it across the room, word for word. I cannot speak in memory of the D2000's leakage, but I would say the Pro 900 is similar. Then again, I was using black pads and don't know if silver ones make a difference. I even double checked the song and volume when he was done, and it wasn't even close to being loud.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #1,703 of 5,992
I just posted this on another thread, so thought I would paste it here too.

I just received the Pro 900's. Purchased off a fellow Head-Fier with about 70-80 hours burn in time.

Straight from my iPhone 4 source, the bass on these are very clean. Punchy, yet very impactful bass. When the sub-bass hits on the notes of one sample - C+C Music Factory - Do You Wanna get Funky - hits it very deep and your ears definitely feel it. In heaven. It reminds me of a 2x 10" high end Boston GT sub setup I used to have in my car.

Mid range is definitely recessed. Its not overly so, but present. High frequencies are sparkly, a little bit "metallic" sounding though. They are not ear-piercing, although its not a fair assessment because of the iPhone source.

I've yet to go home so will check these out on my AVR or E5 amp. I can only assume these may change. At the moment, its a little too "cold" for my tastes, but coming from the iPhone, these are very impressive!! Absolutely smashes my XB700 bass in terms of quality, depth and extension. If I can get my hands on a tube amp, I think these will really shine. To me, they could with a bit of warmth to the sound signature. I will also assess the Kees mod down the track, but I really adore the bass handling of these cans.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #1,704 of 5,992
Further to above, they sound a lot warmer coming my AVR. Mids still recessed, although the Kees mods I will consider later.

One thing I am disappointed about is the shortness of the coiled cable. My HT room has a distance of about 10ft from screen to lounge. Definitely need a high quality extension cable. Would you guys think adding an extension may produce any unwanted interferences? 1/4" extension.

So far though, I am enjoying it. Tried on Inception, Bluray - Phenomenal. I can only imagine adding a desktop amp would enhance it more.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #1,705 of 5,992
I'm guessing you're liking these cans with silent cinema eh? I feel your pain on the short cable. I haven't bought an extension cable yet. I don't want to spend a ton of money on one but I also don't want to cheap out and get something that will adversely affect the sound quality.
Quote:
Further to above, they sound a lot warmer coming my AVR. Mids still recessed, although the Kees mods I will consider later.

One thing I am disappointed about is the shortness of the coiled cable. My HT room has a distance of about 10ft from screen to lounge. Definitely need a high quality extension cable. Would you guys think adding an extension may produce any unwanted interferences? 1/4" extension.

So far though, I am enjoying it. Tried on Inception, Bluray - Phenomenal. I can only imagine adding a desktop amp would enhance it more.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #1,707 of 5,992
Okay so I finally decided to give amping a shot. So far I've never amped any headphones I've owned (All of them have been less than 50 Ohm anyway). I've heard a lot of good stuff about the FiiO E7/E9 combo as an entry point to amping, so I'm considering this combo. What I don't like about it though is that the E7 is going to replace my X-Fi Titanium HD as a DAC. I like my sound card, it is good for music and very good for gaming and movies in my opinion. I don't see a point in buying the E7 unless it is a remarkably better DAC than the Titanium HD. And even then I would still like to use the X-Fi card for its THX emulated surround as well as EAX. The X-Fi card has an optical S/PDIF output but the E7 only has analogue and usb inputs so they are not able to work together (i fail to see the point anyway). So that got me thinking maybe the FiiO E7/E9 combo isn't the right choice for me. The E9 is pretty cheap though, so I'm thinking maybe it's worth investing in? Or since it is not used in combination with the E7, would another amp be more suitable than the E9? I don't want to invest in something if it is unnoticable either.

So why am I writing this here? Because I own the Pro 900 headphones, and I assumed this is the best place to ask for amp advice for that particular headphone. I mainly listen to edm, and the budget is around $200. I live in Europe but don't mind importing from the US, but if you recommend US-only products please keep in mind that import taxes will be around 30% of the total price. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to amping, and before you tell me to search the forum, please take note that I have searched through the whole forum extensively and have not found any detailed answers but only answers like "I recommend X because it's awesome". I need to know how it is awesome (how it changes the sound signature), recommending something without telling me what to expect from it is completely useless for me. Anyway sorry for the wall of text, I just felt like I needed to explain my situation since I know there are many other Pro 900 amping questions on this board.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #1,708 of 5,992
The Titanium HD is superior to the E7 as both a DAC and an amp.  The E9 is far superior to the Titanium as an amp - the E9 is not a DAC, so there is no comparison there.

The Nuforce HDP is another option, I do not know how it compares to Titanium HD's DAC which is a BurBrown something something and is very good.  You will be hard pressed to find a better DAC than what is on the Titanium card.  Creative did a good job with it overall.   It sounds 10x better than the E7.

If you are looking for a portable option, the E7 is not a bad choice.  Nor is the Pico DAC.

However, if it is is for a home rig and isn't going to be portable, I would recommend your Titanium HD + E9 + Pro 900 = very nice combo with plenty of power.

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #1,709 of 5,992

Quote:
I'm guessing you're liking these cans with silent cinema eh? I feel your pain on the short cable. I haven't bought an extension cable yet. I don't want to spend a ton of money on one but I also don't want to cheap out and get something that will adversely affect the sound quality.

You should check out studiocables, I found one extensioncable, 6.3mm to 6.3mm 4 meter cable for just around 10dollars, they have great quality and they promise that there is no signal loss and I can't hear any. I bought more expensive cable designed for home use first and it was crap and I could hear huge impact on the sound.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,710 of 5,992
So the package mysteriously appeared before my footstep this morning, haha. A neighbor probably took it, but it was still unopened. So I took these to work today.

Initial impressions:

- nice carrying case
- great accessories
- high quality materials
- velours not really comfortable, though
Definitely not high end, but good enough.

I only had my iPhone as a source at work, bur here goes:
- too much, bloated bass
- big soundstage
- fuzzy and grainy sound
- not metallic, but hollow yet pronounced highs
- thin and weak voices
- incredible detail retrieval
- capable of crystal clear sounds
After one album/45 mins: Artificial and unique presentation that's easy to get into.

Updated first impressions:
- head shaking, addicting bass!!
- fuzziness gone? Maybe velours needs to soften up
- nice tonality with rapper voices
- easily uncovers artifacts in bad productions
- soundstage is really something! 2nd best after T1

So, now I'm at home and plugged them into the Zero DAC - the sound is significantly better than with the iPhone 4! The short cables are a bummer, though. I can't sit 1,5 meters away from my 40 inch, so I can't watch movies with these at the moment. The 4m with Neutrik costs 70€, haha!

Edit: (6 hours)
Holy moan da funky!! These get better and better by the minute!! I am in love, no crap!
At first I missed my HFI-780, then I thought they were good bass machines, then I thought they do fairly well with Pop in general and now I think of them as great all-rounders with a strong punch. The bass doesn't feel overwhelming anymore and the sound signature is definitely the best of all Ultrasones!
Definitely the best sounding closed cans I know of. They can't rival the T1, but they cost 1/3, are closed and have a little extra weight in the low end. Sweeet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back