Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #31 of 5,992
I tried the D2000 for a few weeks, and while I enjoyed it, I don't think it is on the same level as the Pro 900.  The Ultrasones go deeper, hit much harder, and sound quite a bit more refined.  I found the Pro 900s for 350, so for the extra hundred dollars or so, they are definitely worth it.  Now if they were up around 500 or 600 dollars, the upgrade might not be worth the cost.  I did love the supreme comfort of the Denons though, and if the D7000 are a bit better than the Pro 900 (which some who have heard both declare), then I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade once I have the money.

I highly recommend you try them out someday if you can, because if you enjoy the bass on the D2000, I'm sure you'll dig the thunderous bass of the Pro 900.  If you can't find them for the same price I did, however, you might not consider it worth 2x the price of the D2000

Quote:
Interesting. Very good review. This whole thread is great!

Hmm, now I'm really curious to see how this will stack up against my D2000.

(Oh great. I hope curiosity won't kill me yet once again...)

Just curious everyone, how much did you buy them for?

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #32 of 5,992

Quote:
Interesting. Very good review. This whole thread is great!

Hmm, now I'm really curious to see how this will stack up against my D2000.

(Oh great. I hope curiosity won't kill me yet once again...)

Just curious everyone, how much did you buy them for?

I also snagged mine from buyauthorized on ebay a while back.  It looks like he's posted 7 more sets recently.  I made an offer at $300 and $310 (both rejected) and $320, which was immediately accepted.  They are definitely legit, and they shipped 2-day FedEx for free.  The only discrepancy with my pair that I can find from other sets I've seen online is that mine shipped with two sets of black velour pads instead of one grey and one black.  I'm not sure if it has something to do with it being a new (possible open-box) unit.  It certainly appeared to be brand spanking new when it arrived though. 

As for comparing to the D2000s, that's the closed can I had prior to picking up these.  The D2000 is definitely a mellower can.  I find the PRO 900 to match the D2000s bass extension, but the Ultrasone far exceeds the Denon in bass impact and detail.  The PRO 900 isn't quite as balanced as the D2000 overall though, with the Ultrasone having a lumpier frequency response.  The PRO 900 can also be a bit harsh on the high-end, with pronounced sibilance in certain harsh recordings.  I think this is primarily due to the titanium driver, which is mercilessly unforgiving when rendering low-quality or overly sibilant/bright recordings.  The PRO 900 has significantly more detail all around though, and the incredible bass impact makes it the perfect set of closed cans for me at the moment.  If you were looking for a good all-rounder, you might want to stick with the Denons, but if you really want powerful, impactful bass and detail, the Ultrasones could be the set you're looking for.

Also, the detachable cords (included with the PRO 900) are both excellent.  Single entry is a plus for me, as my D2000s had a kinky cord from the beginning (just above the Y-splitter) which I was never able to work out.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 5,992
Man, these headphones do look tempting! If only Amazon would bring them down in price...

I absolutely adore the bass on the D2000. With what you guys are saying about the Pro 900's bass, that makes me want to buy it for that alone! If Amazon does lower the price down to $400 or less, I'll definitely pick them up for a spin. And who knows, maybe I'll like them more than the D2000...

By the way, does one of the cables have a 1/8 inch plug, or do you have to use the clunky adapter?

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #34 of 5,992

Quote:
Man, these headphones do look tempting! If only Amazon would bring them down in price...

I absolutely adore the bass on the D2000. With what you guys are saying about the Pro 900's bass, that makes me want to buy it for that alone! If Amazon does lower the price down to $400 or less, I'll definitely pick them up for a spin. And who knows, maybe I'll like them more than the D2000...

By the way, does one of the cables have a 1/8 inch plug, or do you have to use the clunky adapter?

The straight cable has a 1/8 inch plug.  The coiled cable has the beefy 1/4 plug.  If you're nervous buying from ebay, Adorama Camera had them listed at $399.99 through the Amazon marketplace recently.  They're still at that price at adoramacamera.com, but I don't see them on Amazon any more.  $320 from buyauthorized on ebay is a killer deal though, I would definitely jump on it again if I had to do it over again.

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #35 of 5,992
Buy from buyauthorized... You won't be disappointed. Offer 320, you'll get them at that price. I think I wont get any full sized in a long time, since these are perfect for my taste. Now I'm in the market of IEM's so I can listen to music in the library w/o having a huge headphones. LoL, pairing them with the D4 brings out the mids, which is awesome. More refined bass as well.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #36 of 5,992
So the pro 900 is sold out? but anyways its out of my price range.  I guess i'll go for the pro 750, how much should i ask for/is $240 a good deal?  I assume the 750's have the same signature as the 900 but are less refined (from what I've read.)

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #38 of 5,992
Pull the trigger. I dare you. You won't regret it...

Quote:
So the pro 900 is sold out? but anyways its out of my price range.  I guess i'll go for the pro 750, how much should i ask for/is $240 a good deal?  I assume the 750's have the same signature as the 900 but are less refined (from what I've read.)

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #39 of 5,992

Quote:
Pull the trigger. I dare you. You won't regret it...

Quote:

Lol just gotta be patient.  Have to get a dac/amp first.  If the udac-2 can power the 900's well I might just save for that instead. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #40 of 5,992
Tell you, I am tempted and i already have the Edition 8 LE.  I heard my daughters Pro-750 and I can imagine how good the 900's are.  Just don't know when i would put them on now that i have the 8's and i also have DX1000 which are a closed phone.  If i was starting over though, knowing what i do now, i think i would go the 900 route in my upgrading from lower end stuff and that would hold me for a while.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #41 of 5,992
I have both ED8 and Pro900, and the Pro aren't going anywhere.  The ED8 is a technically better headphone, but the sound signature is different enough to warrant keeping both, in fact I had to re-purchase the Pro after I sold my first pair because I had the Edition on the way and thought I would not need the Pro.   However, ED8 and Pro900 and DX1000 may be a different thing though.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #43 of 5,992
Congrats! I got my Ultrasone pro 900s 1.5 weeks ago and they sound amazing with an amp. I Kees modded them today and I must say it improves the sound quite a lot. They aren't quite as airy as they used to be, but the bass is tighter and less overwhelming ,the mids are more forward and a tad bit warmer, and the highs aren't as piercing and metallic as they used to be. I really recommend it! It definitely improved the sound quality, by a lot. I do, however, recommend that you listen to them unmodded for some weeks, in order to get a feeling for the headphones. It'll make the modding more intuitive.
Good luck and enjoy! 
o2smile.gif

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #44 of 5,992
I never tried the kees mod but I prefer the metallic sound(coming from Grados). Gotta love them treble

Dec 31, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #45 of 5,992

Quote:
I never tried the kees mod but I prefer the metallic sound(coming from Grados). Gotta love them treble

I like unrefined or harsh sound for many types of music. It makes it more fun. I just wish I could afford the Pro 900s with all the positive reviews, but right now they are out of my reach. Eventually I am going to get them though. Is anyone coming to the White Plains meet in the Spring? I don't think the thread has been started yet, but it will be. These cans sound like they were made for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back