Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #3,361 of 5,992
Just got mine sold locally. 370 bucks. 

Now i'll just have to figure out what i'm getting next.. something open. Perhaps the FA-011.

But the Pro 900's weren't for me. At all. It felt like i was getting slapped in a very demeaning way. They didn't work at all for movies or series either. For me that is. Perhaps i didn't give them enough time to get used to S-logic but i don't think that's it.

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #3,362 of 5,992

Quote:
Daniel: The pro900,edition 8 and pro2900 use the same driver, but each model has it tuned differently.
Wasn't it you that claimed that Ultrasone said they are physically identical? They should know, as they are the engineers.I know it's weird as there is a perceivable difference, but the difference is not night and day. I honestly think that the way that you and Daniel describe them is misleading... Maybe, I'm less biased cause I didn't have to paid an extra 52 euros for them...
What counts is that you're happy with them. I just don't want other head-fiers to be misled into thinking it's going to transform the pro900; I honestly don't think the sonic changes are worth 52 euros, but to each their own.

Yes indeed i did say that from Ultrasone i got that answer when i asked them about any sonic changes..
But as i mentioned in a previous post (after the one you've found) the woman from Ultrasone that i was in touch with didn't know s**** because i immediately realised that the sound signature was altered..
Anyway i do enjoy them and i hope anyone who is interested for the silvers will get some help from my posts and from Daniel's so as to decide if they are worth bying..

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #3,363 of 5,992
Just got mine sold locally. 370 bucks. 

Now i'll just have to figure out what i'm getting next.. something open. Perhaps the FA-011.

But the Pro 900's weren't for me. At all. It felt like i was getting slapped in a very demeaning way. They didn't work at all for movies or series either. For me that is. Perhaps i didn't give them enough time to get used to S-logic but i don't think that's it.

I think you can tell by first listen if the S-logic is right for you. I loved it right from the start.

As for anyone interested in the PRO2900s, the sale is still going at Spectrum Audio here
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/ultrasone-pro-2900.html
Once added to your cart its $400 and you shouldn't have any trouble getting a store that will let you return them if you don't like them to price match.
I bought mine through moon-audio.

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #3,364 of 5,992

Quote:
I think you can tell by first listen if the S-logic is right for you. I loved it right from the start.
As for anyone interested in the PRO2900s, the sale is still going at Spectrum Audio here
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/ultrasone-pro-2900.html
Once added to your cart its $400 and you shouldn't have any trouble getting a store that will let you return them if you don't like them to price match.
I bought mine through moon-audio.

That's a GREAT deal!! I got mine new for MSRP ($550) and don't regret it one bit!

-Daniel

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3,365 of 5,992
Yeah, they are really great headphones. I'm curious how much they can improve with a good amp. They sound a bit underpowered on my sound card.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #3,367 of 5,992
Trying to find a good deal on a balanced pair of 2900 right now. I was really looking for a headphone to compliment my Pro 900, figured why not just get the 2900.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #3,369 of 5,992

Quote:
I think I just saw some balanced ones on eBay for like $600?? A lot less than the $799 I've seen em at. Either way-a rip off. :)

-Daniel

yeesh, pricy
tongue.gif
 Anyways can you do a quick review of the Pro 2900? really considering getting these. Let me know the good and bad, and be honest. Tracks you used, equipment, everything. I've never owned an open can so I don't know what to expect. 

Thanks in advanced

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #3,370 of 5,992

Quote:

yeesh, pricy
tongue.gif
 Anyways can you do a quick review of the Pro 2900? really considering getting these. Let me know the good and bad, and be honest. Tracks you used, equipment, everything. I've never owned an open can so I don't know what to expect.  
Thanks in advanced

Well let me chime in, i own z1000,t50p,dt1350, and have heard lcd2,d7000,he5,he6 running through $1k-2k amps and i prefer the pro 2900 to the rest of the line up. Why? because it is just so smooth and natural to my ears with a hint of sparkle and bass slam. It is the greatest all arounder for any genre. The highs extends up to 20khz and are never sibilant with the right sources and file format (flac and 320mp3) the cable is also stock fyi and i havent even upgraded it. How much more when you put in a high quality cable. The mids are neither forward nor recessed but are insanely detailed. Its like im right in front of the singer. Bass goes deep till 20hz without distorting and is never bloaty. Id like to call it super fast bass with a touch of rumble. Quantity is just right imo. The best combination for techno/house music. Soundstage is super wide. Even wider than my UM merlins. Depth is also amazing. Comfort is top notch. Almost as comfy as my hd598. The msrp is albeit expensive but if you can find it for $400-450 bnib, i say its an absolute bargain. My source is only nano 6g + silver/copper lod + fiio e11 + mp3 (converted from flac) and the sound im getting is heavenly. I havent upgraded since getting the pro 2900. Im that satisfied

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #3,371 of 5,992

Quote:
Well let me chime in, i own z1000,t50p,dt1350, and have heard lcd2,d7000,he5,he6 running through $1k-2k amps and i prefer the pro 2900 to the rest of the line up. Why? because it is just so smooth and natural to my ears with a hint of sparkle and bass slam. It is the greatest all arounder for any genre. The highs extends up to 20khz and are never sibilant with the right sources and file format (flac and 320mp3) the cable is also stock fyi and i havent even upgraded it. How much more when you put in a high quality cable. The mids are neither forward nor recessed but are insanely detailed. Its like im right in front of the singer. Bass goes deep till 20hz without distorting and is never bloaty. Id like to call it super fast bass with a touch of rumble. Quantity is just right imo. The best combination for techno/house music. Soundstage is super wide. Even wider than my UM merlins. Depth is also amazing. Comfort is top notch. Almost as comfy as my hd598. The msrp is albeit expensive but if you can find it for $400-450 bnib, i say its an absolute bargain. My source is only nano 6g + silver/copper lod + fiio e11 + mp3 (converted from flac) and the sound im getting is heavenly. I havent upgraded since getting the pro 2900. Im that satisfied

oh man you're making my wallet whimper.

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #3,372 of 5,992
Quote:

Sounds like a review from Amazon. Doesn't convince me. At all. This forum still needs a full review with A-B comparisons with other open cans like the HD650, DT-880 and maybe even T1.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #3,375 of 5,992
The Clementine EQ saves the day - This little bump instantly made me enjoy my Pro 900 much more straight out of my Yulong D100:

I still get lovely, detailed highs and thunderous, tight bass - but now the midrange is just a tad more forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back