Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #3,196 of 5,992

Quote:
The MKV is SS, I prefer them over tubes as well.
Haven't heard the edition 8. It's a stunning headphone but I could never justify buying one because if I was gonna upgrade my portable setup I'd get customs. 900s and LCD-2 for home listenng.

well for you i meant to replace your 900

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #3,197 of 5,992

Quote:
The MKV is SS, I prefer them over tubes as well.
Haven't heard the edition 8. It's a stunning headphone but I could never justify buying one because if I was gonna upgrade my portable setup I'd get customs. 900s and LCD-2 for home listenng.

Oooh... The MKV looks nice!

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #3,198 of 5,992
well for you i meant to replace your 900

I'd live a pair, and maybe one day I'll be able to get some. I need to first concentrate upgrading my source / amp as I can tell the lcd's need it!
The new ultrasone signature pro headphones look interesting. Im looking forward to seeing how they stack up

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #3,200 of 5,992

Quote:
Oooh... The MKV looks nice! 

Well scratch that:

Quote:
Note: Reports of amp hiss from headphones that have lower impedance (under 64 ohms) have been reported. The use of impedance adapters and grounding solutions can clear this up. Readers are cautioned about this issue. It is safe to say, higher impedance headphones result in totally black background and are there by recommended. YMMV.

I think I'll just get the M-Stage and be done with it.
 ​

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #3,201 of 5,992

Quote:
I'd live a pair, and maybe one day I'll be able to get some. I need to first concentrate upgrading my source / amp as I can tell the lcd's need it!
The new ultrasone signature pro headphones look interesting. Im looking forward to seeing how they stack up

what are you using, and what are you looking at?

i got   HRT Music Streamer 2+  >   Schiit Lyr  >  LCD 2

i think i need to update my source, but im not sure if it will make a big enough difference.  The hrt 2+  is pretty good i like it.

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #3,202 of 5,992
I'm just using my Saffire 6 (which I only bought as an audio interface for dj'ing as you can use 2 outputs at the same time) and my mk v. I know I'm nowhere near the potential that the lcd's have. I'm waiting to see what the reviews of the bifrost say, it looks good. As for an amp, I'd like to stay solid state to keep the sound as pure as possible. Maybe a burson? But the lyr is highly recommended so that's also tempting. Either way it's probably going to be after Xmas now because I need to buy everyone's presents!

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #3,203 of 5,992

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3,205 of 5,992

Quote:
I actually prefer the D5000 for metal and most other type of Rock music.  The Pro 900 can be amazing with some classic rock that has lean bass, as the bass and PRaT of the headphones add incredible dynamics to the song.  The sound signature is definitely different, different enough to warrant buying one over the other, but which one you'd like best is hard to say.  I sold my Pro 900, and now have the D5000.

Guys , sound signatures aside , is the general sound quality and technical ability on a level playing field between the pro 900 and d5000 or is one clearly better than the other ?

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3,206 of 5,992
I'd say they are definitely on par, just they do things differently.  The D5000 tries to be a much more all-around headphone while still supplying awesome bass.  The Pro 900 has superior PRaT and dynamics, but its bass can cause soundstage congestion in genres like rock, and its tonality is a bit off as well.  For EDM, the Pro 900 is possibly the best headphone out there, but like I've said ever since the creation of this thread: "If EDM isn't your primary genre, look elsewhere."

Quote:
Guys , sound signatures aside , is the general sound quality and technical ability on a level playing field between the pro 900 and d5000 or is one clearly better than the other ?

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3,207 of 5,992

Quote:
I'd say they are definitely on par, just they do things differently.  The D5000 tries to be a much more all-around headphone while still supplying awesome bass.  The Pro 900 has superior PRaT and dynamics, but its bass can cause soundstage congestion in genres like rock, and its tonality is a bit off as well.  For EDM, the Pro 900 is possibly the best headphone out there, but like I've said ever since the creation of this thread: "If EDM isn't your primary genre, look elsewhere." 

i disagree these are only EDM headphones.  I think they are designed for fast music in general.  Heavy metal would be one that comes to mind.  They work for a variety of things.  The way i see it, if you like to sit up and move around with your headphones on, pro 900s.  If you like to lay down, chill, and relax, D5000, are very comforting, and its not just the leather pads, i think the whole design is meant to sit back , smoke a cigar, and relax with Denon.  Pro 900s are the headphones brain surgeons use when they save lifes.  

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #3,208 of 5,992
Speaking of, you guys ever listen to Infected Mushroom on these babies? 
dt880smile.png
  Best produced EDM I can find. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #3,209 of 5,992
You should all give REM's "Drive" a listen on your Pro 900... I was floored the first time I heard it on these cans. Not to mention surprised that the Pro 900 works so well with REM :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #3,210 of 5,992
fast life ****ers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back