Ultrasone PRO 750 vs Beyerdynamic DT 770 vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50
May 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bumpy L

New Head-Fier

I just bought the Ultrasone PRO 750s and I am really torn on whether I should return them.  The sound is really impressive after some burn-in but I bought these cans for work, and the amount of leakage seems substantial so far.  This is my first experience with high-quality around ear headphones, previously I've used IEMs.  But at my new job several people have the full-size headphones which I find much more comfortable to wear for 6-10 hours at a time.

I'm wondering if I'm just doomed to more leakage by using closed full-sized headphones or if any of my options would be a better fit:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Audio Technica ATHESW9A

I mostly listen to hip-hop, r&b, talk radio, and movies.  Will any of the above headphones be better in terms of leakage and still have great sound quality?

May 26, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 12
Out of what do you listen?  Are you open to buying an amp?  (If you are getting the full bass out of the Pro 750, you might not need any more amplificiation).

BTW--the 750 Pro seals very well.  I'm surprised you have that problem with it if you're listening at a reasonable volume.

May 26, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm using a portable amp(Fiio E6).   I do like to listen at very high volumes and I'm not sure if the leakage is unreasonable for closed headphones.  I'm used to IEM.  If the leakage isn't substantially better in other headphones then I'll stick with the Ultrasones....

May 26, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 12
I had similar sealing problems with the Ultrasone PRO 750's. Their seal wasn't that great, and they weren't very comfortable. I think the DT770 Pro 80's are an excellent upgrade in that regard. It is worth mentioning, however, that they sound very different.

The Ultrasones have a pretty large spike to both bass and treble, with mids that fall well below what I would call neutral. The DT770's are much flatter in this regard. The bass is still a little boosted, but not nearly as much as the Ultrasones. The high, similarly are less pronounced, which may lead you to think they sound muffled if you are too used to the Ultrasones. (By their own right, they are not muffled, but being used to a treble emphasized sound can do strange things to a person's perception!)

Mids are much better on the Beyers though, so you might not be bothered by the lack of treble/bass presence, depending on how much you like a good vocal range.

EDIT: I would however like to caution listening at lower volumes. Extended listening at high volumes can totally wreck your hearing, and it's not at all worth it.

May 26, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 12
I also had problems with leakage on the PRO900 and 750. Out of the other options you listed I've only used the M50 which is better in terms of less leakage but is a definite downgrade in terms of SQ and are not quite as comfortable as the 750. I tried the DT770 PRO at a guitar center but only for like a minute so I wont comment on SQ but they are very comfortable. 

May 26, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 12
It sounds like the downgrade form the Ultrasones will be too significant especially if the bass is worse.  I may stick with them then and just make sure they're not too loud in the office.  I also need to find a more portable 3.5mm cord.  The one it came with had a perfect cord(long & coiled) for 6.3 stereo access but i use an itouch in office.  Is there any issue using a stereo to 3.5mm converter, will i lose anything in the sound?

May 26, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Oh, I don't mean to imply the Beyerdynamics are a downgrade or worse. Just different. I think they have enough bass to satisfy most bass heads, they just don't have absurd amounts of it, and they don't have that big bright treble (Not to say they lack treble, of course).

I really do have to stress how much more comfortable, and how much better the isolation is. They are easily in the top 5 most comfortable headphones I've heard. In fact I think the only headphone I've worn that are more comfortable are the Sony MDR-XB700's.

May 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 12
I had the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm and they did not leak much. No problem there. But I did not care for the sound signature. The bass is also a little muddy, not very tight. But they are a very comfortable headphone.

May 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 12
The more I listen to the Ultrasones the more I like them.  The leakage still bothers me, especially the leakage when I first take them off, if the music is still going they sound like speakers.  I'll just have to be extra careful at work.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 12
I only have experience with the Ultrasone 750s, and so far I love them.  They do have some noise leakage.  Last week one of my coworkers mentioned that he could hear the beat to my music, but it wasn't loud to the point of being disruptive.  I also like the s-logic, it's quite an experience, it's like surround sound and there are some nuances w/in the music I didn't get to hear before.  But like I said, I don't have experience with the other headphones.  I see a ton of hip hop radio stations use the Beyedynamics, but i don't know what that means...

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I only have experience with the Ultrasone 750s, and so far I love them.  They do have some noise leakage.  Last week one of my coworkers mentioned that he could hear the beat to my music, but it wasn't loud to the point of being disruptive.  I also like the s-logic, it's quite an experience, it's like surround sound and there are some nuances w/in the music I didn't get to hear before.  But like I said, I don't have experience with the other headphones.  I see a ton of hip hop radio stations use the Beyedynamics, but i don't know what that means...

Ok, Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back