Ultrasone Pro 2900 vs Sennheiser HD-650
Jul 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tomatoshoe

100+ Head-Fier
So I tried searching the forums for comparisons between the two and didn't really come up with anything. Maybe one or two posts and no threads. I'm curious as to how the two compared. Having never listened to the Sennheiser HD-650, I really want to know the differences. I currently own the Ultrasone Pro 2900 and was stuck in a decision between the two on which headphone to buy.

So please share your thoughts, what differences they have, which one you prefer, and anything else you would like me to know.

Much appreciated.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
So I tried searching the forums for comparisons between the two and didn't really come up with anything. Maybe one or two posts and no threads. I'm curious as to how the two compared. Having never listened to the Sennheiser HD-650, I really want to know the differences. I currently own the Ultrasone Pro 2900 and was stuck in a decision between the two on which headphone to buy.

So please share your thoughts, what differences they have, which one you prefer, and anything else you would like me to know.

Much appreciated.

Those cans are so different that most folks would consider them (if at all) to complement one another

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Those cans are so different that most folks would consider them (if at all) to complement one another

I see. Through readings all I hear about is how the HD-650 are veiled and laid back. But after indulging myself in more reading I find out there was a "new" HD-650, released in 2010 that has new dampening material. And from what a few people have said, that version is more neutral and not veiled as the "old" HD-650. The thing I don't understand is why there are so many inconsistent reviews from people. Many which were posted around the release of the "new" version that still said that they were veiled and laid back.

One review that looks down upon the HD-650: http://en.audiofanzine.com/headphone/sennheiser/hd-650/editorial/reviews/really-hd.html

I am still very interested in listening to the HD-650 because of its high acclaim, but have no idea to do so. As of right now, I think the Ultrasone PRO 2900 just sing to my ears, but being any human you strive for more. That is why I am asking for those that have owned or listened to both to give some insight on the positives and negatives. However, I don't see too many people having listened to the PRO 2900 because they are so unpopular.

If only I had the money to buy both.

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I see. Through readings all I hear about is how the HD-650 are veiled and laid back. But after indulging myself in more reading I find out there was a "new" HD-650, released in 2010 that has new dampening material. And from what a few people have said, that version is more neutral and not veiled as the "old" HD-650. The thing I don't understand is why there are so many inconsistent reviews from people. Many which were posted around the release of the "new" version that still said that they were veiled and laid back.

One review that looks down upon the HD-650: http://en.audiofanzine.com/headphone/sennheiser/hd-650/editorial/reviews/really-hd.html

I am still very interested in listening to the HD-650 because of its high acclaim, but have no idea to do so. As of right now, I think the Ultrasone PRO 2900 just sing to my ears, but being any human you strive for more. That is why I am asking for those that have owned or listened to both to give some insight on the positives and negatives. However, I don't see too many people having listened to the PRO 2900 because they are so unpopular.

If only I had the money to buy both.

Not sure where you live, but a HD 650 or two always appears at a Head Fi meet.  Hopefully there will be one near to you soon.

The Pro 2900 is very expensive, especially for what I would call a specialty can.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Is there something you don't like about your Ultrasones? I own the ultrasone pro 900 and love them.  They have really good bass and have good detail.   I haven't got a chance to listen to the 2900 but they are open and from what I here they the bass is more refined and the sound stage is expanded.  The sennheiser hd650 came out in 2003, requires a headphone amp, and they have been discontinued.  I haven't heard the hd650 but I do have the hd595 and they are very good headphones.  My biggest problem with the hd 595's was the sound went out on the right side on two different pairs.   I would probably say that the hd650s are going to be more analytical but i always found my ultrasones to be more fun and were my headphone of choice when I watched movies or played games.  You didn't need to hook them up to a headphone amp to get good volume either.  To bad the ultrasones weren't more comfortable and had larger cups.  If you are wondering if you made the wrong decision and maybe could get better for the same amount of money, that is probably one of the biggest mistakes you just made a purchase with headphones.  Graphs and reviews are only going to give you a less than general idea at best and but your opinion is what it rests on.  I will tell you that I would have went with the ultrasones since they have detachable cables, low impedance, and I'm probably the only person on head-fi that liked s-logic.   They are also less fatiguing.  KG-Jag is right, you are going to have to listen to them to see if you like them better.  If you are in doubt go to Best Buy, look for the bright red or black headphones that say "Beats" and listen to them about two minutes.       I doubt you will be doubting the ultrasones after listening to those.  Seriously though, how did you pick sennheiser hd 650 as a choice and didn't think about the Hifiman he-500(my favorite), hifman he-400(don't have......yet), or the akg k702(pretty good), or akg k550(awesome)? LOL there are so many headphones in that price range.  Sorry about the grammar I haven't went to bed ye, but I hope this helps you out.   Well good luck, and remember that there is no monogamy in headphones, just ones you haven't heard yet.  

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Is there something you don't like about your Ultrasones? I own the ultrasone pro 900 and love them.  They have really good bass and have good detail.   I haven't got a chance to listen to the 2900 but they are open and from what I here they the bass is more refined and the sound stage is expanded.  The sennheiser hd650 came out in 2003, requires a headphone amp, and they have been discontinued.  I haven't heard the hd650 but I do have the hd595 and they are very good headphones.  My biggest problem with the hd 595's was the sound went out on the right side on two different pairs.   I would probably say that the hd650s are going to be more analytical but i always found my ultrasones to be more fun and were my headphone of choice when I watched movies or played games.  You didn't need to hook them up to a headphone amp to get good volume either.  To bad the ultrasones weren't more comfortable and had larger cups.  If you are wondering if you made the wrong decision and maybe could get better for the same amount of money, that is probably one of the biggest mistakes you just made a purchase with headphones.  Graphs and reviews are only going to give you a less than general idea at best and but your opinion is what it rests on.  I will tell you that I would have went with the ultrasones since they have detachable cables, low impedance, and I'm probably the only person on head-fi that liked s-logic.   They are also less fatiguing.  KG-Jag is right, you are going to have to listen to them to see if you like them better.  If you are in doubt go to Best Buy, look for the bright red or black headphones that say "Beats" and listen to them about two minutes.       I doubt you will be doubting the ultrasones after listening to those.  Seriously though, how did you pick sennheiser hd 650 as a choice and didn't think about the Hifiman he-500(my favorite), hifman he-400(don't have......yet), or the akg k702(pretty good), or akg k550(awesome)? LOL there are so many headphones in that price range.  Sorry about the grammar I haven't went to bed ye, but I hope this helps you out.   Well good luck, and remember that there is no monogamy in headphones, just ones you haven't heard yet.  

I have no regrets with the PRO 2900, it's just that I am very curious to how the HD-650 sound. At the time, I weighed out all my options and the PRO 2900 was my best choice. I did include the HE-400 in my range of options, but it did not satisfy some of my requirements.

I bought the PRO 2900 for $350 so the HE-500 would definitely not be in my price range. Although, I would gladly listen to them and see how they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back