Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Nov 16, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #451 of 541
I've got the 840's and as my portable, fed by an iPod Touch and Cayin C5, they are the best portable basshead phone I've owned, and I've tried dozens.  Even better than the Ultrasone Edition 8.   

To remove the pads, you have to PULL on them, and I mean pull on them.  I put Alpha pads on my 840's a few months back and it was one of the best mods I have done to a headphone.  Made the comfort go up, sound improve and the bass is awesome.  Don't be afraid of pulling on the pad - though I'd try multiple locations to see if you can get a weak spot of glue, as they are double sided taped in place and it's about as aggressive an adhesive as you'll find.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #453 of 541
Good tip on the pads.  I didn't buy mine for bass, more so for quality, detail, comfort, s-logic, and the Ultrasone sig sound.  I tried the 580s a while back and definitely preferred their gold & titanium driver models.  I use different headphones when I want my bass needs met, which even my PRO 900s don't meet, though you could say I'm an extreme basshead, but mids and highs are equally important.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #454 of 541
  Good tip on the pads.  I didn't buy mine for bass, more so for quality, detail, comfort, s-logic, and the Ultrasone sig sound.  I tried the 580s a while back and was underwhelmed by their lack of texture and detail.  I use different headphones when I want my bass needs met, which even my PRO 900s don't meet, though you could say I'm an extreme basshead, but mids and highs are equally important.

So I take the bass is bloated, or the detail, texture and S logic are missing when compared to hifi780?

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #455 of 541
  So I take the bass is bloated, or the detail, texture and S logic are missing when compared to hifi780?

Let me post back on that in 1 day so I don't give any misinformation.  I will let them break in for 18 some hours straight.

As of right now though, the bass is lacking big time, they are very bright, and they just sound strange I'm not really sure how to put it.  These are with the 860s.  My 780s sound more textured and have more bass (even before removing the sticker), and they are smoother sounding like silk.  The 860s are more open sounding which is a plus.

If I can get to the drivers and remove the sticker that should solve the bass problem.  I don't expect these to be bass canons by any means, but to at least have some authority, right now there is no bass authority whatsoever.

My mission in getting these is to find an all around daily driver.  I like Ultrasone but the PRO series and the HFI series are both strong where the other is weak and they are both weak where the other strong, and they are all uncomfortable.  I would like an Ultrasone headphone that is the best of both worlds while also being comfortable.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #456 of 541

Let me post back on that in 1 day so I don't give any misinformation.  I will let them break in for 18 some hours straight.

As of right now though, the bass is lacking big time, they are very bright, and they just sound strange I'm not really sure how to put it.  These are with the 860s.  My 780s sound more textured and have more bass (even before removing the sticker), and they are smoother sounding like silk.  The 860s are more open sounding which is a plus.

If I can get to the drivers and remove the sticker that should solve the bass problem.  I don't expect these to be bass canons by any means, but to at least have some authority, right now there is no bass authority whatsoever.

My mission in getting these is to find an all around daily driver.  I like Ultrasone but the PRO series and the HFI series are both strong where the other is weak and they are both weak where the other strong, and they are all uncomfortable.  I would like an Ultrasone headphone that is the best of both worlds while also being comfortable.

I am most curious about details, texture of instruments, background instruments, the speed of bass (if it can recover very fast and is very tight) , and soundstage. 

Also, no matter the quantity, I am curious if the bass has rolloff. For example, my dj one pro has enough bass for me, but has a some rolloff, under 50hz there is not much bass, and this hurts me, as I also have Ie800, and I know how true deep bass sounds like. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #457 of 541
  I am most curious about details, texture of instruments, background instruments, the speed of bass (if it can recover very fast and is very tight) , and soundstage. 

Also, no matter the quantity, I am curious if the bass has rolloff. For example, my dj one pro has enough bass for me, but has a some rolloff, under 50hz there is not much bass, and this hurts me, as I also have Ie800, and I know how true deep bass sounds like. 

Ok, I will report back tomorrow with details.  I figure I should at least give them some break in time.  20 hours isn't 300 but it's still 20 times more than 1.
cool.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #458 of 541
Just a quick update on the 860's.  I've been listening to them for the past couple hours.

Soundstage is in-between the PRO and the HFI series. 

S-Logic is better on the PRO and HFI series (In my opinion).  Though this may have something to do with the earpads being short to the point where the entire driver cups are literally compressed against your ears which is uncomfortable after a couple hours.  The pads would need to be changed to thicker ones for sure for extended continuous listening periods.

Bass is completely anemic and even doing a 20dB boost on the EQ it doesn't improve anywhere near as much as the HFI series does.  It's almost as if there's an electronic filter inside the headphone cutting the bass after a certain volume level.  What little bass that is there, it is very tight and controlled.  I tested frequencies down to 20hz and they played fine, though under 40hz it gets quieter and quieter.

They are very sibilant, this combined with literally no bass makes them non-enjoyable for any genre with the exception of classical which is where these headphone shine, which makes me wonder if that's what they were tuned for.

Because the pads are glued, removing them means destroying them.

They are more detailed than the HFI-780, but harshly so.  The HFI-780 almost as much detail but without sibilance and very smooth.  I haven't heard the DJ1 PRO but I have heard the HFI-580 with the 50mm mylar drivers and the HFI-680's and HFI-780s both are on an entirely different level when it comes to better detail.   Anyone who isn't familiar with Ultrasone will be very pleased with the remarkable detail of their gold and titanium plated driver models.

Instrument separation and placement is much better on the PRO series.

Personally I'm returning these.  They've done an excellent job on the design which hugs your head and sits very comfortably.  They've done good fitting a middle area in the soundstage between PRO and HFI.  They are light and isolate awesome.  But the lack of bass is a deal breaker.  Normally I can power EQ enough bass to satisfy my needs but they seem to be electronically limited and are very weak.  Not my cup of tea.

@Dobrescu George from what you say it sounds like what you might be looking for is the PRO 900.  Or even the PRO 750. 

Ultrasone needs to make a 50mm titantium plated driver that is not electronically limited, with the same soundstage, tuning, and instrument separation as the pro 900, but with the energetic exciting forward vibe of the HFI Line, and the comfort/lightness of their new models.  Make a headphone like that.  Oh, and remove the sibilance.  S-logic and ultrasone sound sig is fantastic, but for the real bassheads even the PRO900 with a strong dac amp and an extra 20dB eq on the bass still sounds like a 10" woofer.  Only a 50mm driver gives the true sound of a 12" subwoofer.   Make us bassheads a real basshead headphone.  50mm ultrasone sig titantium drivers with s-logic.  :wink:

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #459 of 541
  Just a quick update on the 860's.  I've been listening to them for the past couple hours.

Soundstage is in-between the PRO and the HFI series. 

S-Logic is better on the PRO and HFI series (In my opinion).  Though this may have something to do with the earpads being short to the point where the entire driver cups are literally compressed against your ears which is uncomfortable after a couple hours.  The pads would need to be changed to thicker ones for sure for extended continuous listening periods.

Bass is completely anemic and even doing a 20dB boost on the EQ it doesn't improve anywhere near as much as the HFI series does.  It's almost as if there's an electronic filter inside the headphone cutting the bass after a certain volume level.  What little bass that is there, it is very tight and controlled.  I tested frequencies down to 20hz and they played fine, though under 40hz it gets quieter and quieter.

They are very sibilant, this combined with literally no bass makes them non-enjoyable for any genre with the exception of classical which is where these headphone shine, which makes me wonder if that's what they were tuned for.

Because the pads are glued, removing them means destroying them.

They are more detailed than the HFI-780, but harshly so.  The HFI-780 almost as much detail but without sibilance and very smooth.  I haven't heard the DJ1 PRO but I have heard the HFI-580 with the 50mm mylar drivers and the HFI-680's and HFI-780s both are on an entirely different level when it comes to better detail.   Anyone who isn't familiar with Ultrasone will be very pleased with the remarkable detail of their gold and titanium plated driver models.

Instrument separation and placement is much better on the PRO series.

Personally I'm returning these.  They've done an excellent job on the design which hugs your head and sits very comfortably.  They've done good fitting a middle area in the soundstage between PRO and HFI.  They are light and isolate awesome.  But the lack of bass is a deal breaker.  Normally I can power EQ enough bass to satisfy my needs but they seem to be electronically limited and are very weak.  Not my cup of tea.

@Dobrescu George from what you say it sounds like what you might be looking for is the PRO 900.  Or even the PRO 750. 

Ultrasone needs to make a 50mm titantium plated driver that is not electronically limited, with the same soundstage, tuning, and instrument separation as the pro 900, but with the energetic exciting forward vibe of the HFI Line, and the comfort/lightness of their new models.  Make a headphone like that.  Oh, and remove the sibilance.  S-logic and ultrasone sound sig is fantastic, but for the real bassheads even the PRO900 with a strong dac amp and an extra 20dB eq on the bass still sounds like a 10" woofer.  Only a 50mm driver gives the true sound of a 12" subwoofer.   Make us bassheads a real basshead headphone.  50mm ultrasone sig titantium drivers with s-logic.  :wink:

I still look forward to more impressions. 

I get that this performance series is not any more comfortable than other utrasones are, no? I mean, if there was one comfort problem with my dj one pro, that problem is that the cups are way too shallow. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #460 of 541
  I still look forward to more impressions. 

I get that this performance series is not any more comfortable than other utrasones are, no? I mean, if there was one comfort problem with my dj one pro, that problem is that the cups are way too shallow. 

The performance series is more comfortable than the both HFI and the PRO because the headband and cups are a better fit.  The pads are even more shallow than both HFI and PRO and need to be changed to deeper ones. 

I got rid of the 860s, I didn't like them at all.  My HFI-780s sound better musically and my PRO 900s are significantly better for everything else.  From your requirements that you previously listed, I'm fairly certain these aren't the headphones you want.  The PRO 900 is the upgrade for you.

I would have been willing to give the 880s a try, but I don't think they would give me what I'm looking for.  As far as Ultrasone goes, I'd rather keep my 780s and 900s.  With modifications the 880s could probably be pretty sweet, but not $500 sweet.  They would need deeper pads for sure, removal of the sticker inside blocking the bass ports, and a different circuit board, one that doesn't cripple the bass.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #461 of 541
I tried the Ultrasone Performance 840s yesterday and must admit that I didn't like them at all.  They are insanely coloured (probably the most coloured headphones I have ever heard in my life), the little in-ear HTC One ear buds actually sound a lot more natural to me.  I'd probably take the Audio Technica ATH-M50s over these (in this price range) to be honest if you want a good bass response.

These are clearly a love or hate thing but I highly recommend that everyone try various other headphones against them before making a decision on buying them.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #462 of 541
A few months ago I tried the 880 in a shop and was really impressed. I was after a closed-back, and have never heard Ultrasones before. I also tried Sig Pro and AKT5P on the same day, among with other headphones, out of my AK100ii. I was really underwhelmed by both Sig Pro (which I've read good things about beforehand) and especially underwhelmed with the AKT5P. But I always remembered the 880 fondly from that day, even though it was just a few minutes, I remember clarity and soundstage that was a step above other closed back I tried on the day.

Today, while strolling online, I saw that the shop where I tried these are now selling them (and other ultrasones) for over 50% discount - and so I just decided to go for the 880s.

A quick browse through the forums, these seem to get quite mixed reviews. But I decided to go with my memories from the time I tested them, given the low price - about 360 AUD (~250 USD). Looking forward to using these around the office when they arrive.

Looking forward to exploring these more, will write impressions after awhile.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #463 of 541
OK, I've been listening for about 1.5 hours now and I'm really, really enjoying these. Excellent clarity and resolution. Very lively sound, and can be driven directly out of the AK100ii. This will definitely give my current favourite portables (M4U2) a run for their money.

Regarding a cable - I'm looking for a replacement cable with no microphonics. Preferably with a fabric jacket. Can other 2.5mm plugs be used? for example HD598 cables? thanks!

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #464 of 541
  OK, I've been listening for about 1.5 hours now and I'm really, really enjoying these. Excellent clarity and resolution. Very lively sound, and can be driven directly out of the AK100ii. This will definitely give my current favourite portables (M4U2) a run for their money.

Regarding a cable - I'm looking for a replacement cable with no microphonics. Preferably with a fabric jacket. Can other 2.5mm plugs be used? for example HD598 cables? thanks!

Yes, HD598 cables can be used.  I had Ted from Headphone Lounge make me a 22" cable for my armband workout setup and he used the 598 end for the headphone connection for my 840's. 

By the way, if you get tired of the thin stock pads, you can fit MrSpeakers Alpha pads to these by pulling off the stock pads (very well held by double stick tape) and stretching the Alpha's over the driver capsule.  Makes for a very nice comfort improvement. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #465 of 541
Yes, HD598 cables can be used.  I had Ted from Headphone Lounge make me a 22" cable for my armband workout setup and he used the 598 end for the headphone connection for my 840's. 

By the way, if you get tired of the thin stock pads, you can fit MrSpeakers Alpha pads to these by pulling off the stock pads (very well held by double stick tape) and stretching the Alpha's over the driver capsule.  Makes for a very nice comfort improvement. 

Thanks for the tips mate! Does changing the pads impacts the sound though? Especially with angled pads like the alphas, would the angle impact the s-logic stuff?

I have a pair of hm5 hybrids which might be a nice fit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back