Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #227 of 541

Depends on your taste I guess...
I love the Master and Dynamics headphone almost as much as my Sig DJs and they are less than half what the Sig DJs retails for (would love them more if they didn't leak!)

:p

I like the sound of the M & D, but there is this "pressurized" sensation that makes me take them off after a short time. But if you feel that they compete with the Sig Pro, I don't need to consider the Sig Pro
biggrin.gif

Beats. :p

Yes, that's true....I forgot about actual crap.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #229 of 541

I like the sound of the M & D, but there is this "pressurized" sensation that makes me take them off after a short time. But if you feel that they compete with the Sig Pro, I don't need to consider the Sig Pro
biggrin.gif

No, they 'compete' more with the Sig DJs as I mentioned (due to them being more bassy)... I believe the Sig Pro's are more of like Mad/Alpha Dogs with better (but a bit more energetic) highs. In fact, I think at first I compared the Mad Dogs to the Sig Pros just a bit more... dare I say, boring! I liked both though. :wink:

It's all about the taste, I enjoy my Q40 more than Sig DJ because Q40 are more suitably bright while Sig DJ a bit too bright for my taste.

Agreed. To me is the other way around, I find the Q40s harsher. (note that I did NOT say brighter, but harsher...) This is why it's always better to rely on one's ears lol! :wink:

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #230 of 541

Agreed. To me is the other way around, I find the Q40s harsher. (note that I did NOT say brighter, but harsher...) This is why it's always better to rely on one's ears lol! :wink:

Was that with stock pads? I'm using stock pads because of how lush and  smooth they are with Q40 and in comparison to say Beyer pads make the lower-mids more in the focus why they get a thicker/smooth/lusher sound since the ears sits so close to the driver and I felt the closer the ears sit to the drivers the thicker/smoother the sound gets why I like the stock pads since for my taste they pair so nicely with Q40's signature to keep the thickness vs detail just right from a realistic point of view.

Padswapping can quickly make me enjoy the Q40 a huge deal less since with especially the Hifiman pads I felt they lost a lot of that "soul" I feel in the music with the stock pads.

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #231 of 541
I tested the Q40s with both the stock pads and Beyer velour pads. Both had the same weird highs and I believe it's due to the soundstage not giving the sound enough room to breathe which to my ears it's what made it sound harsh. Sig DJs are brighter but somehow I can stand them because they don't sound harsh to me. So it's not really about sound signature, but about air to the instrumentation.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #232 of 541
Dec 1, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #234 of 541
Yea, I agree about hearing things with your own ears. Many regard the Pro 900 as ear stabbingly awful in the highs, but this is just not the case for me.

Indeed the best thing to do is hear things yourself.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #235 of 541
Dec 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #236 of 541
  Yea, I agree about hearing things with your own ears. Many regard the Pro 900 as ear stabbingly awful in the highs, but this is just not the case for me.

Indeed the best thing to do is hear things yourself.

Agreed! I just plugged my Pro 900's (partial Kee's mod) into ALO's The Island, and it's quite magnificent. No stabbing highs, and the bass is hard hitting and tight. That being said, I'm still debating between the Signature DJ's and 840/880's.

Looking forward to more comments, reviews, and insights.

popcorn.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #237 of 541
I like not harsh enough and not bright enough. This may be my phone!

That is basically the same can as the PRO 550 in a different color. I own it. It is quite good, but needs an amp to shine.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #238 of 541

Agreed! I just plugged my Pro 900's (partial Kee's mod) into ALO's The Island, and it's quite magnificent. No stabbing highs, and the bass is hard hitting and tight. That being said, I'm still debating between the Signature DJ's and 840/880's.

Looking forward to more comments, reviews, and insights.

popcorn.gif

In the german Hi-Fi forum there is a guy who says that the Performance 840 is better than the Pro 900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back