Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Nov 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #196 of 541
  Alright guys, so at least you're making me feel better now. I don't have to sell my Sig Pros! lol

I wouldn't trade a Sig pro for two 880 :wink:

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #198 of 541
Yup. Sig pro is very picky with amp and source :wink:  I heard awful results sometimes too.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #199 of 541
  Yup. Sig pro is very picky with amp and source :wink:  I heard awful results sometimes too.

+1

They sounded pretty bad from my X5 but sounds world class on the DX90. Very picky and sensitive to changes in DAPs IMHO, more so than almost anything else I own.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #201 of 541
  where is the bass that sig dj has more than sig pro?... about 100hz or about 50hz?...

This should help:

It's centered roughly around 70~80Hz so pretty much on the border between subbass and midbass and that's what my ears also agrees with that the Sig DJs have about equal subbass as midbass presence which leads to best possible sense of impact since you need both to get that nice punchy bass response. Whether or not you like that is a matter of personal taste though. :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #202 of 541
I don't like the bass of ie8, they have too much bass, and they clearly don't have enough treble.

But ultrasone dj one pro, has just the right bass and the right treble.

I love bass under 60, i would like flat between 60 and 80, and i hate bass 100hz, i need the area between 100hz and 500hz to be flat, or better, recessed.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #203 of 541
  But ultrasone dj one pro, has just the right bass and the right treble.

A friend of mine who heard both DJ1 pro and Signature DJ told me they're close :wink: . Try a shop with a good return policy :wink:

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #204 of 541
Nov 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #206 of 541
So yeah, using the 840s this week.
Definitely a bit bumped in the low regions, a bit more mids recession (and warm-ish low mids due to bass bleed/bloom methinks), boosted up-top so definitely more v-shaped than the 880s. Same comfort, same built, feel light and comfortable. I don't think they liked to be played directly from my AK 100MK2 because I'm not finding them AS shrill up-top. But will definitely know after more head to head comparos with the music I usually listen to.

Right now, Chance The Rapper "Everything's good" sounds excellent! Sub-bass kick sounds powerful and everything sounds clean.
Justin Timberlake's "Suit and Tie" sounds engaging all the way due to the bass. JTs highs and falsetto don't sound bad at all (thought they'd be more ear-piercing here).
Amber Rubarth "Strive" sounds excellent, but, well, it sounds excellent on most headphones I've tried it on! LOL.
The Get Up Kids "Anne Arbour". Well, not the best recording but I usually use it because sometimes vocals can sound harsh and guess what, they do sound harsh here. A bit of sibilance as well is accentuated but it doesn't get on my nerves.

As of now, I find both the 880s and 840s to be quite enjoyable. The difference in sound is really not as big (again, will pit them head-to-head later on), both seem to have a similar signature, but the 840s are boosted on both ends by a bit.

After I do the compares, I will send them to ultra for some measurements along with my Sig DJs and the DVD Editions. So hopefully by next month there might be measurements for the few of you that love to see those. :wink:

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #207 of 541
  So yeah, using the 840s this week.
Definitely a bit bumped in the low regions, a bit more mids recession (and warm-ish low mids due to bass bleed/bloom methinks), boosted up-top so definitely more v-shaped than the 880s. Same comfort, same built, feel light and comfortable. I don't think they liked to be played directly from my AK 100MK2 because I'm not finding them AS shrill up-top. But will definitely know after more head to head comparos with the music I usually listen to.

Right now, Chance The Rapper "Everything's good" sounds excellent! Sub-bass kick sounds powerful and everything sounds clean.
Justin Timberlake's "Suit and Tie" sounds engaging all the way due to the bass. JTs highs and falsetto don't sound bad at all (thought they'd be more ear-piercing here).
Amber Rubarth "Strive" sounds excellent, but, well, it sounds excellent on most headphones I've tried it on! LOL.
The Get Up Kids "Anne Arbour". Well, not the best recording but I usually use it because sometimes vocals can sound harsh and guess what, they do sound harsh here. A bit of sibilance as well is accentuated but it doesn't get on my nerves.

As of now, I find both the 880s and 840s to be quite enjoyable. The difference in sound is really not as big (again, will pit them head-to-head later on), both seem to have a similar signature, but the 840s are boosted on both ends by a bit.

After I do the compares, I will send them to ultra for some measurements along with my Sig DJs and the DVD Editions. So hopefully by next month there might be measurements for the few of you that love to see those. :wink:

Thanks.

Very interessting. How would you compare them with the Deno Ah-D600? Would you say the 840s are bass heavy?

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #208 of 541

Very interessting. How would you compare them with the Deno Ah-D600? Would you say the 840s are bass heavy?

I would say that, from memory, the Denon D600s are slightly more boosted on mid-bass and warmer (I also found the D600s a bit inconsistent up-top, as in the upper-mids/highs are 'there' but not engaging). I'd say the Ultrasones are a bit more detailed and dare I say more controlled. Both are comfortable but I think the 'sones look better :p

Again, this is from memory, maybe @Oregonian  can chime in with more info since he has both at hand. :)

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #209 of 541

I would say that, from memory, the Denon D600s are slightly more boosted on mid-bass and warmer (I also found the D600s a bit inconsistent up-top, as in the upper-mids/highs are 'there' but not engaging). I'd say the Ultrasones are a bit more detailed and dare I say more controlled. Both are comfortable but I think the 'sones look better :p

Again, this is from memory, maybe @Oregonian  can chime in with more info since he has both at hand. :)

Yes would be nice to hear what he thinks. If I'm not wrong he rates the Denon a bit higher in his profile.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #210 of 541

Yes would be nice to hear what he thinks. If I'm not wrong he rates the Denon a bit higher in his profile.

I think the Denon is overall a little better headphone. 

The 840 is better for portable use because of the sleekness of design and fit but the D600 goes deeper on the bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back