Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Mar 23, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #287 of 477
I have a iBasso D2 and it sounds ok to me, but my alo mod is longer burn in then yours. Give it a little more time to settle down and also the paper towel trick helps
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #288 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bleh... I'm starting to think of selling these.

They sound great, and very detailed, with awesome bass, but they're just too damn cold
frown.gif
And they're kind of fatiguing at larger volumes. This is with about 100hrs burn in. I'm hoping this is all just the fault of my iBasso D2, so I plan on switching out the OpAmp in there. Also, I'm waiting for my friend to finish hotrodding my X-Fi, so I'll probably wait 'till then to cast final impressions.

It is really too early to make that decision I think.

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #289 of 477
Yep, now I'm starting to reconsider somewhat. Rickio's mod really, really helped with the harshness of what I was hearing. When I turn it up to very high volumes though, I start hearing some harshness again as well as some sibilance, which if persists might make me consider selling.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #290 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Corda Headsix is really good too warm the sound of the 780s, you can purchase it for $165 with the shipping included.

Yeah, that's a decent combo that doesn't have a accentuated bite in the treble or a bloated bass, but they went up to 185 due to the declining dollar. The Headsix was also very good with my shallow cup Darth Beyer.

But, as the ALO 780 reach 200 hours, the need to be picky about amps and source declines.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #292 of 477
Thinking about ALO780s anyone use them with the Headroom Max DAC ALPSRK50..Starting to see a few threads with minor probs with warmth of amp used and boomy bass....Thanks

Marc

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #293 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm at hour (approximately) 120.. and the bass is getting kinda boomy again.. has anyone experienced that during burn in?

Yes, they go up and down during burn-in. When I sent my stock HFI-780 to dw6928 they were still changing (albeit a bit less dramatic) and they had 350 hours of burn-in by me plus an alleged 200 hours by the previous owner.
confused.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #294 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Crazed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking about ALO780s anyone use them with the Headroom Max DAC ALPSRK50..Starting to see a few threads with minor probs with warmth of amp used and boomy bass....Thanks

Marc

Like I said above, with the ALO mods they become less picky about amp after 200 hours of burn-in.

They sound great with my HR Micro Stack, which is known to be warm with strong bass too. They also do great with the RSA Predator which has weighty bass, and I am even able to enjoy them with my Pico and D2 which have more highs that could be fatiguing on a stock 780. They also sound great with my 125 hour Woo WA6, my 800 hour Dark Voice 336i, my Meier HeadFive and HA-1, my Apogee mini-DAC, and every other amp I have now
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #296 of 477
First of all I have to thanks Head-Fi.org and all you guys, because all my knowledge about hi-fi are learn from here (still learning), also (Killing my Wallet).

I only compare ALO-780J with all the cans I have or gone, I compare the feeling when I listen same music, please don't ask me how about the High, Mid and Bass difference, because I think this is not fare to compare closed can and open can headphones, by the way this is my 1st closed can.

Headphones I use to compare :
ALO780J, ALO701J, ALOHF1J, (GS1000, W5000 gone)

Music I compare :
Midare - Album : Art of The Japanese Koto
(Easy image left and right hands fingers movement)
My Heart Will go on - Album : Andre Rieu - Love Around The Word
(Each instrument sound easy to find their location, main violin sound in front of the orchestra)
Luke Dillon- Album : Celtic Harp
(When I listen this music, so relax)
Rivers Of Babylon - Album : Boney M.- 20th Century Hits
(Feel like in disco bar)
Fuego - Album : Bond girls - Shine
(Too much mixing)
Those Were The Day - Album : The Best of Boston Pops
(Like listen in music hall)
Take Me Home, Country roads - Album : John Denver Greatest Hits
(Traditional stereo recording)
Yellow River Piano Concert - Album : Lang Lang - Dragon Songs
(Piano sound just in front of me)
Killing Me Softly - Album : Susan Wong - Close to You
(High definition recording, her lips movement so so lovely)
Come With Us - Album : The Chemical Brothers - Come With Us
(Electronic band sound, sorry too electronic)
That's The Way It Is - Album : Celine Dion - All The way...ADecade Of Song
(Enjoy Celine Dion voice, but not that realistic)
Tomoe-Ryu Yutakadaiko - Album : Masters Of Percussion Vol.2
(Japan Taiko drums, Like I stand in front of them)

CD changer - Pioneer PD-M426
AMP : RSA-The Raptor (tubes : Mullard 12au7, GE 5 star 5687 match pair)
Cable : Blue Jeans Cable RCA - RCA

All the above impression are according to my ears and feeling, for myself this ALO-780J suitable for my difference music needs. Maybe closed can suitable for me more then open can, this 780 sound is so balance from high to low, all sounds are very easy recognize what is what. When this can out of the box I try it, I want to sell it immediately, totally not what I want, after burn-in around 60 hours, I use it every night for 4-5 hours until today, so far so good for me.

p.s. Ken can you sell already burn-in mod headphone? Burn-in so painful.
I enjoy music not burn-in.

Thanks for reading.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #299 of 477
MoChaCha, waiting is the hardest part but it's finally worth the wait.
wink.gif

You began with a modified HFI 780, it's longer burn in and waiting with a stock version and even then it never sounds as good as the alo mod version.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #300 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoChaCha /img/forum/go_quote.gif

p.s. Ken can you sell already burn-in mod headphone? Burn-in so painful.
I enjoy music not burn-in.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the post.

Yes I have a system in place that I use to accelerate the burn in process. If you have aversions to burn in and one is willing to wait 3 - 5 days I can give you a good jump on the burn in process.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back