Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Mar 26, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #302 of 477
I can't wait to try them with the RSA Predator. (I will receive it this Friday
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #303 of 477
Approximately 216 hours and things have appeared to stabilize... The bass is tight and under control and it feels like I have a clear window to the music. Most impressive!
smily_headphones1.gif
I will post a more detailed eval soon..

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #304 of 477
Jesus.

150hrs. I swear, these things have blossomed. Music sounds incredible now. Previously, I thought these headphones sounding even similar to $1500 headphones was pretty ludicrous. Now I can believe it. A lot of the brightness is gone; I can turn the volume up more now before it starts to bother me.

Although, the comfort is killing me
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #305 of 477
Post 200 hour update

First off let me say that initially I was EXTREMELY nervous about receiving these CANS, the total cost including shipping was $609! Stock this phone cost around $200!!!! While waiting for delivery I kept second guessing myself, asking if the money would have been better spent on ANYTHING else!!??

Well, 200+ hours later, I can easily say that I am VERY happy with my purchase, and so far the ALO-780Js take care of my "closed headphone" needs!!

Ok, now with that out of the way here are my findings:

Treble: The treble has smoothed out a great deal. I listen to a lof ot music with trumpets blaring, and at a decent volume it doesn't cause any pain!! Now with my setup, anything past 12:00 on my amp dial will blow your eardrums apart, especially HF's! But, I think that's more a result of my system synergy as opposed to just the phones. No more shrillness or "metallic" sound going on here. At 0-20 hours that was the case, but not anymore!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mids: Are very transparent! I'm given a clear window into the music here. I think in an earlier post I mentioned that I heard someone coughing in the background on a CD I've listened to numerous times, or on another CD one of the artists sniffling..(perhaps a cold, or a result of artistic endevours with white powdery stuff! I digress!!). The mids are slightly forward, but not in your face. Dare I say that it pretty much rivals stock K701s!!
eek.gif

Bass: Do I need to say anything about bass?? From the start the 780s had copious amounts of it, and at times BOOMY amounts of it, like a bass cloud, although it never really clouded out the rest of the frequency spectrum, which has not been my experience with other "bassy" type cans (i.e. DT990, HD650...etc..).. At this point, the bass has tighten up A LOT! It's still well defined, and full of impact, but controlled! I specifically tested this out on my bedroom rig, the source is an Apollo, which is not known for it's IMPACTFUL bass, but with the current synergy, that's not an issue.

Soundstage: For a pair of closed cans, these give me a great presentation that appears to be slightly outside of my head, not in the K701 range, but far enough that I don't feel like the music is in my face! Sometimes this is very much recording dependent, but for the most part there's the illusion of space around me. I can pinpoint the location of each artist in the ensemble. Once again, I think this is HIGHLY recording dependent! So bad recorded material is not going to "morph" (ha!) into something else.

Now is this the can to end all cans? No, of course not, no headphone is, or else this site would no longer exist. But, it is definitely one of the better modded headphones out there. I feel these are very much "musical\fun" phones to listen to, I would not use them for analytical listening, although with the level of details present, it wouldn't be too dificult to do! If you're looking for closed headphones, definitely put this one on your short list to evaluate.

Keep up the good work Ken!

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #306 of 477
Morph

Great report from your recent impressions.

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #307 of 477
Great report Morph...Expecting my pair from Ken can't wait should be here Friday...i'll be using a Headroom Max Dac Alps RK50 Amp....Looking forward to some sonic bliss
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #308 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jesus.

150hrs. I swear, these things have blossomed. Music sounds incredible now. Previously, I thought these headphones sounding even similar to $1500 headphones was pretty ludicrous. Now I can believe it. A lot of the brightness is gone; I can turn the volume up more now before it starts to bother me.

Although, the comfort is killing me
frown.gif

I used a box but others have said use a pillow to open and stretch the headband and in a few days the clamping force eases up. I think that is what your referring to when you say the comfort is killing you?

Did you change your mind about selling?
biggrin.gif
They will probably get a tad bit better still. It really takes about 200 hours to smooth out the most. I personally am just totally digging mine.
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #309 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Post 200 hour update

Now is this the can to end all cans? No, of course not, no headphone is, or else this site would no longer exist.

Amen on that.

Quote:

But, it is definitely one of the better modded headphones out there. I feel these are very much "musical\fun" phones to listen to, I would not use them for analytical listening, although with the level of details present, it wouldn't be too dificult to do! If you're looking for closed headphones, definitely put this one on your short list to evaluate.

Good points

Quote:

Keep up the good work Ken!

thank you so much sir!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 27, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #310 of 477
Morph201, I enjoyed reading your impressions. Well worded and more importantly level-headed.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #312 of 477
Morph, good writeup.

pfillion, don't be frightened when your recabled RS-1 sound brighter than the ALO 780's as they will calm down after 100-120 hours or so. Until then they can make the 780 sound a little dark if you listen to the RS-1 for a couple of hours and then switch after you acclimate
eek.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #313 of 477
Thanks all! I hope it was coherent enough, considering it was extremely early for me when I typed it!

Headphone Crazed: It's gonna take you for a rollercoaster ride, but hang in there it's worth it!!!

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #314 of 477
Thanks for infos
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Morph, good writeup.

pfillion, don't be frightened when your recabled RS-1 sound brighter than the ALO 780's as they will calm down after 100-120 hours or so. Until then they can make the 780 sound a little dark if you listen to the RS-1 for a couple of hours and then switch after you acclimate
eek.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #315 of 477
Right out of the box sounded very comanding PUNCHY through my Headroom Amp....Burning 49hrs now.... Just took them for another run and boy these have an opulance of there own spacious warm smooth highs punchy (when called upon ie Limelight Rush early drum line blew me away!!), near total bliss only drawback so far is the slight tightness of the cups around my head and the weighty jena cable, but overall very very pleased with the musicality that they are reproducing...Burining will continue and will try to update at 100mark intervals...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back