Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Mar 20, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #271 of 477
The Vampire 780's have 544 hours on them and still sound fantastic. I haven't heard any major changes since 200 hours, just a little smoother and more refined.

Using the same Marantz CD5001, I am currently running the Edition 9 via Apogee mini-DAC (S/PDIF on the coax) to the Woo WA6 with a highflyin9 silver plated copper RCA-mini. AT THE SAME TIME I am playing the Vampire 780's through just the Headroom Micro Amp which is connected directly to the Marantz CD player RCA outs with a Headphile silver cpu RCA-mini. I also tried swapping the headphones between the two rigs.

The Results: Well, there were two different comparisons - the rigs and the phones. Until the Woo's huge V-caps and BlackGates burns in, the $2500 rig isn't a whole lot better than the $600 rig (not including headphones). I also need to get the $200 Jensen Transformers XLR to RCA out 4:1 transformer, since the XLR is better than the mini-out on the Apogee.

Next, the Edition 9 are still better, but not massively better. I assumed this was due to the relatively low hours on the WA6 (63 hours), but the Micro only has 125 hours and hasn't changed much out of the box while the Woo has made big changes. Switching the headphones between the two rigs doesn't have a dramatic change, and the Edition 9 continue to better the 780's, but only by the same difference. It's the same increased body, soundstage, and refinement that I've mentioned before. But it's amazing that these truly are 90% of an Edition 9. It's seems to be that last 10% that makes or breaks them (another ALO780 owner sold me his ALO 780 and bought Edition 9 after hearing mine). It's even more amazing how good either one can sound with a $299 CDP and $299 amp (2006 model) - resolving, detailed, transparent, punchy, crisp, accurate, exciting, hypnotizing, and engaging.

Of course the WA6 is gonna sound a lot different in 1,000 hours when the V-caps and BlackGates are burned-in, and I install my Aperex Bugle Boy GZ34 in it, and I am pushing it with XLR>RCA transformers.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just my thoughts.

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #272 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
56 hours.. and... the SQ is taking a turn for the worst, AGAIN!
confused.gif
mad.gif

I picked my ALO-780J up at around 12 hours --
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
-- and immediately put them right back down again to continue burn-in!

I-YI-YI (anguished yell).

Even though I went through this with my stock 780's, and they now sound great, it still is a shock when the SQ goes nutty during the burn-in.
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #273 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not surprised... just heartbroken and needed an outlet to vent..
smily_headphones1.gif

Heartbroken? This is a real downer to take it that hard. I hope you endure the process to at least 200 hours and let us know what you think then. Just put them in a drawer for the next week and then listen to them this time next week without any intermediate concerns.

Is this a stock one or modified by someone...again not wanting to run back and check the history within this thread. I know I am lazy not to do this!

I see now the ALO-780J.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #274 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heartbroken? This is a real downer to take it that hard. I hope you endure the process to at least 200 hours and let us know what you think then. Just put them in a drawer for the next week and then listen to them this time next week without any intermediate concerns.

Is this a stock one or modified by someone...again not wanting to run back and check the history within this thread. I know I am lazy not to do this!

I see now the ALO-780J.

Haha, I don't want to give the wrong impression, I can tell the phones have potential!! One thing that's weird is even when the SQ starts going south, the details (low level also) are still very much present..

I'll put them aside for another week, I throw on a "bass" heavy CD this morning and cranked the volume to the 1 o'clock position.. maybe that'll help loosen things up!

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #275 of 477
Sent my Jenna Labs 780's (400 hour drivers/150 hour cable) to be re-terminated in a 1/4" plug, then sent on to greydragon, and here are the initial impressions:

Quote:

Ken did a superb job re-terminating it with a hefty silver 1/4" plug. And in all, it looks totally mint I'm surprised at how beautiful the JL cabling is.

After plugging them into the Hi-Z plug of the Opera.... (breathless) I can't really described what I'm hearing... its like nothing I've heard before, with its wide headstage, resolution, and cohesiveness of the sound signature is amazing. Soundwise, everything about these phones was done right. I think I'm going to develop serious insomnia from these phones! Unbelievable.

So, I am not making this stuff up. These phones are great!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #276 of 477
Just 24 hours after the previous (shocked) post above, I again picked up my ALO-780J during burn-in, and they sounded so good (!) THIS time, that I just left them on, and put on one of my best female vocal CD's (that also has lots of dynamic range in the music, along with the good vocals.
To make a long story short, during the first two tracks, I had tears in my eyes -- needed to wipe them at least 4-5 times -- the vocals sounded like the voice of an angel, and the music was out-of-this world! I never heard this CD sound this good before, with ANY of my cans -- including my stock 780's or any of my other very good cans. I guess I had one of those famous "eargasms" mentioned here on Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

I only rarely get so moved by a piece of music, but I sure did yesterday.
Getting teary-eyed again as I type this, remembering! As an ex-musician, songwriter and composer, I know great music when I hear it.
Damn, these are good cans! There, I said it.
If these can actually get any better during more burn-in....wow!
eek.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #277 of 477
WOW !

I had the same feeling (eargasms ?) last night while I was listening Scenes From A Memory from Dream theater
wink.gif

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just 24 hours after the previous (shocked) post above, I again picked up my ALO-780J during burn-in, and they sounded so good (!) THIS time, that I just left them on, and put on one of my best female vocal CD's (that also has lots of dynamic range in the music, along with the good vocals.
To make a long story short, during the first two tracks, I had tears in my eyes -- needed to wipe them at least 4-5 times -- the vocals sounded like the voice of an angel, and the music was out-of-this world! I never heard this CD sound this good before, with ANY of my cans -- including my stock 780's or any of my other very good cans. I guess I had one of those famous "eargasms" mentioned here on Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Getting teary-eyed again as I type this, remembering! As an ex-musician, songwriter and composer, I know great music when I hear it.
eek.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #278 of 477
Yeah I was hearing my alo 780V's and just in awe of the sound from these can's. I just want to enjoy them and stop thinking of bettering them for awhile hehehe. Dang upgraditus!

hmmm it doesn't help knowing there are the Jena and the Edition 9 out there hahaha

But bang for the buck these are really way cool. I heard the potential in these and am glad I went for the upgrade.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #279 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I was hearing my alo 780V's and just in awe of the sound from these can's. I just want to enjoy them and stop thinking of bettering them for awhile hehehe. Dang upgraditus!

hmmm it doesn't help knowing there are the Jena and the Edition 9 out there hahaha

But bang for the buck these are really way cool. I heard the potential in these and am glad I went for the upgrade.
wink.gif

Just sit back a while and enjoy the music. As long as you are enjoying the music that is what is all that is required.

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #280 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

EARGASMS! Try the Imod Ipod with the new AURA TEFLON Imod Dock - The JENA LABS FUGUE cables (just burned in) thru RSA RAPTOR (waiting on the WA6 MAXED wired with solid silver wire from KEN at ALO sent to JACK WU) thru ALOs JENA CRYO cabled EDITION 9s with your favorite LOSSLESS songs. NOW that's EARGASMS. Can't wait to try the WA6 from BENCHMARK DAC1 USB

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #281 of 477
Bleh... I'm starting to think of selling these.

They sound great, and very detailed, with awesome bass, but they're just too damn cold
frown.gif
And they're kind of fatiguing at larger volumes. This is with about 100hrs burn in. I'm hoping this is all just the fault of my iBasso D2, so I plan on switching out the OpAmp in there. Also, I'm waiting for my friend to finish hotrodding my X-Fi, so I'll probably wait 'till then to cast final impressions.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #282 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bleh... I'm starting to think of selling these.

They sound great, and very detailed, with awesome bass, but they're just too damn cold
frown.gif
And they're kind of fatiguing at larger volumes. This is with about 100hrs burn in. I'm hoping this is all just the fault of my iBasso D2, so I plan on switching out the OpAmp in there. Also, I'm waiting for my friend to finish hotrodding my X-Fi, so I'll probably wait 'till then to cast final impressions.

Get yourself a nice tube amp like my Yamamoto HA-02 if you want real synergy with these headphones. I can see why you would think this way with a very neutral and analytical SS amp. The RS Raptor would do as well.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #283 of 477
Bleh... I really don't want to spend that much on an amp. $300 at the most, $200 preferably. Also, I can't really do tube amps since I need my amp to be transportable, and tube amps look rather risky to transport.

I'm thinking about some D2000's Markl'd (if he's going to do them) since apparently they're already warm sounding.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #284 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EARGASMS! Try the Imod Ipod with the new AURA TEFLON Imod Dock - The JENA LABS FUGUE cables (just burned in) thru RSA RAPTOR (waiting on the WA6 MAXED wired with solid silver wire from KEN at ALO sent to JACK WU) thru ALOs JENA CRYO cabled EDITION 9s with your favorite LOSSLESS songs. NOW that's EARGASMS. Can't wait to try the WA6 from BENCHMARK DAC1 USB

That dock you have Charlie is the Bomb. With my WA6 and the New JL 18G AKG 701s I was hearing tones hit I have not heard before through headphones. Your set up will me close to this one I am using so yeah - rock on! hope you enjoy them for a very long time.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 22, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #285 of 477
The Corda Headsix is really good too warm the sound of the 780s, you can purchase it for $165 with the shipping included.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bleh... I really don't want to spend that much on an amp. $300 at the most, $200 preferably. Also, I can't really do tube amps since I need my amp to be transportable, and tube amps look rather risky to transport.

I'm thinking about some D2000's Markl'd (if he's going to do them) since apparently they're already warm sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back