Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Mar 8, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #136 of 477
Thanks for the pictures but have you listened to them yet? I am sure you have some. First impressions are OK here too.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #137 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the pictures but have you listened to them yet? I am sure you have some. First impressions are OK here too.

I just got back and sent these pictures,I traveled 200 miles from Cleveland,Ohio
To home traveling through a snow storm,I don't know how I made it through the blizzards but I did.I really haven't settled in yet,and listened as of yet.It may be tomorrow before I can list some first impressions.I am practically brain dead after being without sleep for some twenty hours.

biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #138 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got back and sent these pictures,I traveled 200 miles from Cleveland,Ohio
To home traveling through a snow storm,I don't know how I made it through the blizzards but I did.I really haven't settled in yet,and listened as of yet.It may be tomorrow before I can list some first impressions.I am practically brain dead after being without sleep for some twenty hours.

biggrin.gif

Get some rest that trip was a killer glad it didn't kill you.

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #141 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did my D2000 vs ALO780 comparison tonight. Don't forget I have the APS v2 cable on my D2000.

I'd say the D2000 is a little slower, especially on the initial attack of piano notes, and tends to smooth over some of the sound and blend it together a little. This makes for a more relaxed can that puts you maybe in the 2nd or 3rd row, instead of on stage like the ALO-780's. They have a good solid bass, but not quite the attack and impact of the ALO-780. That makes them remind me of a closed version of the HD600 when the HD600 has the improved HD650 cable. I said "reminds me of" as in similar sound signature, but "not sounds just like". The HD600 with APS v3 cable or 18G Jenna Labs cryo cable is still better than the re-cabled D2000 at retrieving details and reproducing an accurate soundstage.

The ALO-780 has a quicker attack, and punchier bass, with crisp edges to the notes that bring out some extra detail and layering the way the HD600 with high-end cable does. The mids are a little more forward/up front and they put you up on stage, similar to a Grado but with a bigger soundstage that my RS-2 (my SR-60 and HF-1 have a bigger soundstage than RS-2). The highs on the ALO-780 have mellowed out to the same level as the re-cabled D2000 and re-cabled HD600, which is a welcome improvement over stock. When listening to the ALO-780 first, and then switching to the D2000, you can hear the D2000 sound a little more like a closed can, while the ALO-780 sound more like an open can to me.

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks a bunch for doing this.

I ordered the AOL-780's today, and after reading a different post of yours, decided to pick up the Predator with the money I saved from not buying the E9.

I am actually buying these for my Dad. He has had a rough year, and I am hoping a good sound system will lift his spirits a little.

He loves music and I can not wait to see the look on his face when I give him these.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #143 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I GOT THE 18G Jenna Labs Cryo Wire ALO-780 in TODAY.

At this point, if you are seriously in the market for an Edition 9, you might want to consider the $595 ALO 18G JL cryowire 780 instead of the Edition 9. Then buy a good source with the savings, put 200 hours on the phones to break them in, and enjoy the giggles.

Larry

I'm currently in the market for "something".. what would you say is the extra 5% offered by the edition 9?

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #144 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently in the market for "something".. what would you say is the extra 5% offered by the edition 9?

Some people would say it is everything others would say save your money. This is a very personal decision to make. For the third time in this thread I canceled my order for a second UE9 once I heard the HFI-780 stock. I am hoping the re-cabled ALO Jenna 18g cable will take it much closer. I took the extra money and bought a second Lavry DA10 with it which I consider a very good source.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #146 of 477
ALO-780J with Jenna 18g wire with quarter switchcraft plug is in the house just now. Plugged them in and am very satisfied with the sound. Very airy as I remember compared with the stock version. Bass is tighter as well. Mids seem to be even better integration within the overall sound profile. High frequencies seem to be much smoother. These changes are very satisfying to me.

I am really going to enjoy these changes to this headphone.

They look just like the picture on the ALO web site so there is no need to take any of mine but here is Ken's image showing what they look like.

ALOHFI78018g.jpg

I have found that the CD by Mark Ryden "Blood" with music scored and composed by Stan Ridgway and Pietra Wexstun is one of the most challenging CDs to test out a headphone with long bass lines in minor cords. I am listening to this one and I no longer have any issue with the headphone now. Before there were some minor resonance coming from one ear cup with a couple of the tracks on this CD. If you are interested in the CD here is the link:

CD Baby: STAN RIDGWAY AND PIETRA WEXSTUN: CD Soundtrack for Mark Ryden's "The Blood Show"

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #147 of 477
I just got my vampire cable 780 alo mod and right off the start it sounds better to me then my stock version, which I kept! to compare hehehe

With no burn in the shrillness in the upper end is tamed and it's smoother. So now I will burn it in but I am already happy with it, so anything better is like way cool to me!

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #148 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I listened to them this after noon for a couple of hours.All I can say is wow!
The ALO Vampire recable is beyond words.Paired with my newly acquired Pico
was like listening to a real concert.I put the Ultrasone CD that came with the 780's in the cd player hooked to the Pico,and it was like being transported to a magic kingdom of music heaven.The test CD was like being there for real,I can still hear the glass bells still ringing,and the bassy organ playing,amd the ocean waves were almost making me sea sick,LOL
The sound stage after a hour sounded very nice,and full.At first I was on stage,after about an hour,I was slowly moving to the first,then the second row.
The Bass was fantastic,and right on.The mids were perfect,and all so real.
The highs were gaining in near perfection.I highly recommend this combo to anyone who wants a marriage made in paradise.I will save a lot not having to buy concert tickets anymore.I now have a magical concert whenever I want one,365 days a year.Ken thanks for this fine piece of art.Everyone Get yourself one from ALO Audio.You will not be sorry.IMO
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #150 of 477
I have finally received my ALO-780s yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif
Even if they are not burned at the moment, they are really really good, probably the best headphones that I've heard so far with the Grado RS-1
eek.gif

They have simply nailed all the albums that I have tried with them so far, from Pink Floyd to Dimmu Borgir or from Porcupine Tree to Opeth ! Nothing can't stop them !

These headphones will surely become the best friend of Prog Rock & Metal in general
wink.gif

I'll let you know more of my impressions later..

Cheers

2319179243_0b9db22583_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back