Ultrasone HFI780 ALO Mod
Mar 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #166 of 477
Comments highlighted below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, slwiser, I've been waiting for feedback like this. I will be getting my alo-780j in a day or so, but I have three questions for you.

1. Given what we know about what the 18g Jena Lab can do to the 780, are you tempted to recable the UE9 with JL cable and try to squeeze that last bit of perofrmance out of the UE9?

I am tempted but I have spent enough for things this year. But I really like my stock UE9s as they are.

2, I thought the burn in time with the alo-780 is alot less than the stock cable, something like 70 to 100 hours is the equivalent of 300 hours of the stock cable according the headphoneaddict. When you say 500 hours of burn in time, are you referring to the stock cable?

The 500 hours burn-in was in reference to the UE9 not the 780. The 780 was more like 200-250 on the stock unit before I sent it out to ALO.

3, What do you think about Skylab's comment about the so so performance of the alo-780?

We all have our own perspective and I have to appreciate where he is coming from. His comments are just as illegitimate as mine. We don't have to like the same things. But I hope he gives them adequate time for burn-in which I think it is clear he is, so I have no issues with his comments. Many times I disagree with others but don't necessarily state it because it is just not necessary.

Again thanks so much for the input.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #167 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comments highlighted below:

Slwiser, sorry I was editing my post while you're responding.
tongue.gif
Please reread my post. Thanks.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #168 of 477
Quote:

Slwiser, sorry I was editing my post while you're responding.
tongue.gif
Please reread my post. Thanks.

Response of item 4: This is a very personal thing to decide whether one is worth more than the other based on money vs performance. Having a UE9, I am very satisfied with the results of my re-cabled HFI-780 with the Jenna 18g wire and the other modifications that Ken does to these headphones. For me it would not be worth the extra cost since I have the first UE9. I am enjoying both.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #170 of 477
good questions Jalo, and thank you slwiser
smily_headphones1.gif

I am definitely considering doing a UE9 as well as a jena recable..

just wish there were more feedback on the only pair of those that exist haha. Ken, figure something out so I can be tempted into it
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #171 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Allow me to play a quasi-devil's advocate, for a minute...
confused.gif
confused.gif

Does this motivate you to put the UE9s up for sale, and use the excess cash for some other fun expenditure??
tongue.gif

I am happy with having both.

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #173 of 477
Quote:

Thank you, slwiser, I've been waiting for feedback like this. I will be getting my alo-780j in a day or so, but I have three questions for you.

1. Given what we know about what the 18g Jena Lab can do to the 780, are you tempted to recable the UE9 with JL cable and try to squeeze that last bit of performance out of the UE9? Ken told me that the gain from stock to Jena Lab is about the same for the 780 as well as the ue9. If it is true, that is no laughing matter as the changes is quite significant for the 780 from stock to JL 18g. I cannot imagine adding that much improvement to the already excellent ue9, that will be awesome. But then again, Ken is the only one that has a pair of alo-ue9 and very few people has listened to it to be able to comment on it.

2, I thought the burn in time with the alo-780 is alot less than the stock cable, something like 70 to 100 hours is the equivalent of 300 hours of the stock cable according the headphoneaddict. When you say 500 hours of burn in time, are you referring to the stock cable?

3, What do you think about Skylab's comment about the so so performance of the alo-780?

4. Since you have both the UE9 and the alo-780, and assuming that a person is able to afford the ue9, do you believe the difference im sq between the two is worth the cost difference?

Your question #4....who has both UE9 and alo-780 here on the forum? From what I thought skylab only has a stock 780 and I saw a post where he said he has not heard a UE9 unless that changed now.

correct me if i am wrong.

number 3 question, where is his comments on the alo-780 posted? I did not see that.

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #174 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your question #4....who has both UE9 and alo-780 here on the forum? From what I thought skylab only has a stock 780 and I saw a post where he said he has not heard a UE9 unless that changed now.

correct me if i am wrong.

number 3 question, where is his comments on the alo-780 posted? I did not see that.

I am the person who has both a UE9 and the ALO-HFI-780 with Jena 18g cables. My answers were posted within the quoted area of post 166 in BOLD letters for items 1, 2 and 3 and Item 4 was commented on in a later post.

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #175 of 477
Quote:

1. Given what we know about what the 18g Jena Lab can do to the 780, are you tempted to recable the UE9 with JL cable and try to squeeze that last bit of performance out of the UE9? Ken told me that the gain from stock to Jena Lab is about the same for the 780 as well as the ue9. If it is true, that is no laughing matter as the changes is quite significant for the 780 from stock to JL 18g. I cannot imagine adding that much improvement to the already excellent ue9, that will be awesome. But then again, Ken is the only one that has a pair of alo-ue9 and very few people has listened to it to be able to comment on it.

I am told by Ken at ALO and Alex at ApureSound that the Edition 9 respond well to a re-cable. I tend to believe them.

Quote:

My stock HFI780 were not burned in by 255 hours when I sent them in, but I posted that the Vampire wire 780 were burned-in by 180-200 hours.

Quote:

He doesn't have ALO 780 does he?

Quote:

4. Since you have both the UE9 and the alo-780, and assuming that a person is able to afford the ue9, do you believe the difference im sq between the two is worth the cost difference?

Yes, the Edition 9 are worth it IF you have the money. But, for the price of an Edition 9 you can have a Woo Audio WA6 amp with all the upgrades and ALO 780 both.

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #176 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am the person who has both a UE9 and the ALO-HFI-780 with Jena 18g cables. My answers were posted within the quoted area of post 166 in BOLD letters for items 1, 2 and 3 and Item 4 was commented on in a later post.

yup i knew that but the questions were as if it was you and skylab ...

it's cool
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #177 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup i knew that but the questions were as if it was you and skylab ...

it's cool
wink.gif

Nope, it's slswiser and HeadphoneAddict who have both.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #178 of 477
I recalled reading that the alo 780s were "slightly" on the warm side... how does that affect it's dispalying of microdetails?? Especially in comparison to the PL 2500s... I used to own the PL 2500s with the silver dragon cable, and it really brought the low level details out.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #179 of 477
JUST HIT 400 HOURS on the VAMPIRE 780.

I love these headphones so much I had to steal them back in a partial trade for my HP-1000 last weekend - to use as my traveling/portable headphone, with the lighter cable and smaller jack that fits the Predator with my iMod Jumbo Silver Cryo X LOD.

I have no problems hearing micro-details with these better than I can with my re-cabled D2000. The Vampire 780 details are right up there with my new old ATH-W11R, while sounding less analytical, and right up there with the HD600 while being sharper and punchier. Kinda in-between. The 780 lack the lower treble/upper mid peak that I hear in the ATH, so you don't "hear the room" as well. But, that means the Vampire 780 are less sibilant than the ATH-W11R! So, the background of the 780 a little darker/quieter than the ATH, and more like the HD600. But, they have more bass than ATH or HD600, while the D2000 bass volume is closer.

I should note, my 10yr old son with the Golden Ears, who previously was able to correctly rank my STAX, Grado and Ultrasone headphones, ranked the Vampire 780 right behind the Edition 9 and STAX SR-Lambda Signature. So, we know that can't be wrong.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #180 of 477
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JUST HIT 400 HOURS on the VAMPIRE 780.

I love these headphones so much I had to steal them back in a partial trade for my HP-1000 last weekend - to use as my traveling/portable headphone, with the lighter cable and smaller jack that fits the Predator with my iMod Jumbo Silver Cryo X LOD.

I have no problems hearing micro-details with these better than I can with my re-cabled D2000. The Vampire 780 details are right up there with my new old ATH-W11R, while sounding less analytical, and right up there with the HD600 while being sharper and punchier. Kinda in-between. The 780 lack the lower treble/upper mid peak that I hear in the ATH, so you don't "hear the room" as well. But, that means the Vampire 780 are less sibilant than the ATH-W11R! So, the background of the 780 a little darker/quieter than the ATH, and more like the HD600. But, they have more bass than ATH or HD600, while the D2000 bass volume is closer.

I should note, my 10yr old son with the Golden Ears, who previously was able to correctly rank my STAX, Grado and Ultrasone headphones, ranked the Vampire 780 right behind the Edition 9 and STAX SR-Lambda Signature. So, we know that can't be wrong.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thank you for the report.My VAMPIRE 780's will not have 300 hrs burn in until Mar.23rd.Seems like a long time until I can really enjoy them to there full extent.And yes children have excellent ears,I know,I had 3 of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back