Ultrasone HFI-780s and... metal?
Jul 7, 2010 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Skullkrusher

New Head-Fier
First off, my first post and thread. Howdy, Head-Fi! :D

Right now, I'm the proud owner of a set of Sennheiser HD555s. I've had them for nearly two years now, and I love them to death. My first audiophile-grade headphones, I'd say. However, due to some... "battle wounds", they may reach an early grave (long story). They're still holding up fine, but I guess the construction of them is so-so.

I've already done a decent amount of research, and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Ultrasone HFI-780s as my next headphone purchase. I am a large fan of electronic music as of late (Hardstyle, Hard House, Trance, etc), but I'm still a metalhead to my roots. Thrash, metalcore, melodic death, some deathcore, doom, sludge, and groove. And maybe even some older stuff along the lines of Black Sabbath every now and then. I know more than enough that these headphones pack some serious bass, but my main question is, how do they hold up with metal?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 15
I'm getting these for Rap/Hip Hop but it seems like some people enjoy this pair of headphones with some Metal too.

Check out page 2 of this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/423526/finally-hfi-780/15

Oh yeah, and welcome to Head Fi!  I always see people welcoming others with a "Sorry about your wallet" so........................        Sorry about your wallet!  I already spent a little less than $200 on here and I'm still pretty noob on here.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 15
Although mine are ALO modded, so not talking from direct experience of the stock HFI-780's, I find that they are excellent for metal.
Fast,detailed,punchy,forward midrange and deep,tight,impactful bass. The HF's can be splashy and sizzly when new but after a long burn in (350+ hours) does settle down nicely. These are all characteristics of the phone so they will be the same on an unmodified version but at a lower level(I assume!)

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 15
Go for it! I found the HFI-780's visceral presentation to be quite Grado-like, very much suited for metal. I first auditioned the stock ones at a meet last year, and they surprised me with their excellent performance with the metal I played on them (Behemoth, Nile) - detail and dynamics were definitely there with substantial and taut bass that doesn't get muddy or sloppy.

Jul 7, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 15
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Yep they should do pretty well from what I remember. They have an aggressive presentation which definitely suits metal. I also agree with the posts above. They do tend to be a hate them or love them can though.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks a bunch, guys. =D

At this point, I see absolutely no reason to not get these headphones according to what I've heard. The only thing that seems like a negative is apparently the soundstage isn't so great, maybe compared to my 555s, but I think these things will shine when I get them. =)

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 15
Hmmm I found them to be plenty comfortable with just the right clamping force. I agree the soundstage is nothing spectacular, but it doesn't have that congested closed-in feeling that closed cans tend to have.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 15
Can anyone exactly attest to how the soundstage is on the HFI-780s compared to the HD555s? And for comfort, I think I'll sacrifice it for sound quality. Just hope it's not bad enough to get in the way of my habit of falling asleep with my headphones every night!

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 15
The 780 soundstage was very linear to me, couldn't feel the depth I do with my other headphones.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 15
One thing to keep in mind though is your 555's are open back.  They will naturally have a bigger soundstage than a closed back headphone.  That said, a headphone like the D2000 has surprisingly wide expansive soundstage for a closed back headphone.  My guess is because the drivers site quite a distance from your ear, so there's lots of space in there to work with. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 15
But overall, I'm hoping the sound quality is going to make this a worthy upgrade? I do kinda like to space out while listening to some trance, discern little bits of the music and hear it swirling around my head. I hope that's not impossible to do with the 780s. =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back