Ultrasone HFI-780 Vs BRAINWAVZ HM5 Vs Sony MDR XB500
Sep 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jayendran

New Head-Fier
Folks,

I'm new here, please excuse if I posted in the wrong context. I'm looking to get a sub 150$ full size headphone. Need help from the rest of the family to decide. I'm no audiophile, but do know to a small extent what I want. So here goes..

1. should run comfortably off sources without an amp (phones/portable players)
  2. clean music (no artifacts, over/under emphasis)
  3. good overall tracking of the input signal
  4. sound all genres well

I searched threads and have zeroed in on the following options (in order)

• Ultrasone HFI-780 (came to know it's more refined over 580)
  • BRAINWAVZ HM5 (there are a couple of negative reviews from eminent members)
  • Sony MDR XB500

I already own an HD485 since the last 3 years and am satisfied, but the pads are worn out, and am looking for something better. Also, Sennheiser has killed the product.

I've heard fine things about Ultrasone's HFI-780 and I would prefer sound quality over comfort.

HM5 appears to be a clone/similar to Fischer Audio's FA-003, so are Linda and jaycar re-brands. Here's a confirmation from the Lindy folks that these are actually made from one of the leading factories in China! Though there is no mention of the driver, a OEM re-use is apparent. When the Jaycar re-brand is available for just $50, I don't see a reason to pay for an extra airplane adaptor and probably the 1.3 m cable that come with the BRAINWAVZ package for $140! Also, some of our senior members have not found it "neutral" against what is advertized.

I've had the chance to listen on an XB300, and found it very lightweight, though, I found the bass to kick more (that explains the Extra Bass 'XB' prefix, I guess) than I'd desire, and the midrange sounded odd (don't know how to describe it, but sort of sounded muffled, which could have been due to the source). Read through a couple of XB500 and XB700 threads and they seem attractive too, especially at those price points. However, I'm worried about how faithfully these would sound my music.

Also read good things about JVC HARX900 (being moddable, but the burnt-in stock itself not being a great option). A review with frequency response available here.

I want to choose from one of the above, but if better alternatives satisfying what I want exist, I'd gladly consider them under the price belt mentioned.Anyone owning or having had the chance to compare all the above, please reply.

Peace and Regards,
Jay

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

The HM5 is only $99 shipped with a free stand right now at MP4nation.net. I would go that route for your needs. You wanted something clear and without a bunch of emphasis anywhere. The XB500 would be horrible for you, it has no treble to speak of, mids are gone too, it's all bass. Way over emphasized. The HFI780 is a good headphone, but it's treble and bass are more emphasized, so it's not that balanced. The HM5 on the other hand is quite balanced yet capable and excellent for everything. The HM5 however is a big headphone, and the HFI780 is a portable headphone (smaller, folds, etc). I still would go the HM5 route, but just be aware that it's a large full size non-folding headphone. The HM5 is pretty comfortable too, very isolating, deep cups, and very durable. It's a tank like headphone. Detachable cable. For someone looking for an excellent all around headphone that is closed back, the HM5 (or any clone similar to it) are an excellent deal.

Very best,

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 5
I just bought a used Senn 558 for $110. Seems to be decent. 

I agree that the HM5 is an excellent deal but it is closed which I am not allowed to have per my wife. Must hear and obey! 

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Welcome. Currently, if you can find one used, the 558 after the foam tape removal is the best open all around headphone for around $100 and the HM5 would be the closed can to get in that price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back