Ultrasone HFI-780 Unboxking.
Mar 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Scrivs

100+ Head-Fier
Last tuesday I ordered the Ultrasone HFI 780 at iHeadphones.co.uk and it just got delivered by Mr Postman.
So I thought lets make a little unboxing for you all
atsmile.gif

So here are some photos I made of the box, phone and accesoiries. I hope they are all clear enough and would you want to see anything else, just let me know and I'll make a photo of it.

So here is the front of the box:
boxfrontt.jpg

The back of the box:
boxback.jpg

How everything is laid out inside the box:
boxinside.jpg

The headphone + accesoiries, on the right is the transportation bag and the Demo CD with some songs that I have no idea of what they are for, and on top a little moist catcher (or whatever its called in English):
phoneacc.jpg

The cable of the headphone (1m), including detachable 3,5/6,3 mm screwable gold-plated plug and the 4 meter (!) long extension cord:
cablesk.jpg

Headphone:
phonenormal.jpg

Headphone folded:
phonefolded.jpg

Transportation Bag:
bagv.jpg

Transportation bag with the Headphone inside (in folded position):
bagphone.jpg

Comfortability:
I have been listening to the headphones for about 2 hours now and I think they are quite comfortable. The pads are real nice and make a good seal around the ears, though you do notice that your ears have heated up a little once you take the headphone off.
The only thing I have to point out is that the headband isnt quite a comfortable as I had hoped, it isnt bad but it kinda stays present all the time if you know what I mean... you keep feeling it.
All in all a comfortable set of headphones that will offer hours of joyfull listening.

Sound Quality:
As I said, I've only been listening to the headphones for only 2 hours now, so I cant say how they will sound once they have been burned in, but so far I'm very pleased with the sound.
I'm using them on my FiiO E5 headphone amp (which isnt a very powerfull amp, I know, but I had it anyway so why not use it) and I use Foobar2000 to play my music. I've been listening to various genres of music, mostly Dubstep and Drum 'N Bass but also a bit of Reggea and Hip Hop, and it just sounds great with every genre. Can't really complain.
Vocals and other sounds are very nice and clear, the bass isnt overpowering anything but its defenitely there.
Though I did notice one thing, when I held my hands on the cans, everything, and especially the bass, became a bit more present. What this means, I think, is that the cans vibrate a bit while you are playing music which causes it to loose vibrations to the outside and not into your ears, so when you hold your hands on them and reduce the vibration, the sounds that would normally get lost to the outside are now being sent into your ears which makes the sound just a bit nicer. (correct me if im wrong with this, im not a sound technician or anything :p)

All in all I'm very happy with these phones and I can recommend them to any1 that prefers a bit more bass than average and also wants great sound quality.

I hope this was helpfull, and would you want to know anything else just let me know :wink:

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 58
I notice Ultrasone changed the cable of the HFI-780, going to ask if and when they'll do it for the HFI-580 and HFI-680. Very smart move not to make 10 foot cable stock.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 58
I own the HFI-780 also and I am glad to see that they have shortened the cable and supplied an extension. I find them to be quite comfortable also . I also wanted to point out that you fold them up by pressing the earpads together and pushing up. This way they wont scratch against each other and the inside surface is protected. If you are happy with them now it will only get better with break-in. Happy listening
L3000.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 58
Ultrasone first did it with the edition 8, it must've been pretty recent they changed the HFI-780 cable. But you can do the same just by cutting the 10 foot cable at a length you like for portable use, and soldering a male mini-stereo to it, and female mini-stereo to the extension cable. I like neutrik, great quality, easy to work with, and cheap.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 58
Mine arrived with the shorten cable also. Scrivs, Once you burn it in the sound gets even better and the bass starts to settle a bit.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 58
Yeah...I never knew about the shorter cable...that's good news.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geared4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the HFI-780 also and I am glad to see that they have shortened the cable and supplied an extension. I find them to be quite comfortable also . I also wanted to point out that you fold them up by pressing the earpads together and pushing up. This way they wont scratch against each other and the inside surface is protected. If you are happy with them now it will only get better with break-in. Happy listening
L3000.gif

haha yes I just noticed that, theres a picture on the box with the headphones folded up like that aswell. Thanks for pointing that out.
Cant wait to hear how they will sound like once their burned in, cuz I already like the sound alot.
Will probably also purchase a nice amp for them in the future, just didnt rly have the money for it now.

And yes, I'm very glad they shortened the straight cable and just included an extra extension. Because I will only use it for my pc and not portable so I rly dont need a long cable. This 1m cable is just about perfect for my situation.

Thanks for all your reactions peeps!
k701smile.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 58
Yes, placed the order on tuesday, got the message that it was dispatched on wednesday and it arrived the next monday.
But it had to be shipped overseas because I live in Holland, so I'm sure it will be delivered faster if you like in the UK...

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 58
If people are ordering HFI-780 and want the shorter cable+extension cable, be sure to ask the store/person selling it to you if it has that or the older 10 foot cable. Chances are many stores still have the older version, and will for months to come.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 58
I love these cans! I mainly use them with my portable devices and computer sometimes. They provide a great isolation and the bass is enough for my tastes. Just use them for more than 100 hours and the sound will improve.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 58
I just got mine today! its currently on my bed playing behemoth
wink.gif
Anyways, mine didn't come with the short cable =( Can anybody link me to where i can buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back