Ultrasone HFI-780 arrived today: first impressions and the burn in begins...
Jan 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

acegazda

100+ Head-Fier
I was pleased to find these pair of cans finally had arrived after a bit of a wait (stupid ensenda shipping). After opening the package a couple things immediately jump out:
1. These are a very beautiful set of headphones; stylish and portable.
2. The phones seem substantial, especially the headband which is a nice step up from my (now sold) denon d1001's.

After trying them on without any music playing I was pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the earpads. I have done nothing but read about how people hate how the earpads feel and although I haven't worn these for longer than 45 mins at a time as of yet, I am happy with how they feel. They are firm... stiff really and the best analogy I can make is that they feel like those nerf dodgeballs that are kinda squishy and let air out of them when you squeeze them. Suffice to say, I will not be upgrading the pads just yet.

Now, onto the music. I first play these out of my Sony DAP (my Fiio E5 is charging). The first song I try these out with is "Starstrukk" by 3oh!3; I figure this electronic/rock song will be suited to the hfi-780's supposed strengths. The first listen is actually kind of unimpressive: the bass is not much stronger than my old denon d1001's but the voices seem more "brilliant" and the synth leads resonate more satisfyingly. I hope the bass impact/quantity will increase as these phones burn in.

"Sultans of Swing" by the Dire Straights is very good on these phones. I played this song after a couple hours of burn in and my E5 plugged in. The guitars sound substantial, the voices are again, shining, and the bass seems a little more tight.

"Let love in" by The Goo Goo Dolls is one song that I did not like with these: the symbols just seemed so jumbled and undefined while the instrument separation just wasn't there. I ripped this cd in lossless and then converted it to 192kbps wma like everything else on my player so I don't know what the problem was.

Overall I got a favorable first impression; they are a sexy, sweet sounding pair of phones that definitely make the music sound very lively. I will post some pictures of these on my head once I get the chance. I know there are plenty of pictures out there, but those type of shots were always the ones I was looking for (and usually didn't find).

Some points of discussion: Replacement ear pads (sony mdr-v6 pads, beyer dt250 pads, shure 240 pads, etc?) Burn in time (I think I'm at like 5 hrs now... do they need a break or can I run them straight for hours?) Amping (The Fiio E5 is obviously a pretty weak amp: what amps are people using with these phones and what results/improvements over stock are you getting?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back