Ultrasone HFI-580´s comfort? Please share your experiences.
Feb 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sandwichman1973

Head-Fier
I am very close to by these phones, but I am worried about the comfort. Are there any problems with too much pressure or the cups beeing too small?
I will use it in bed for long time listening.
Are the HFI-580 the right choice for me or shall I look at something else?

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm honestly unsure of what most complain about, I had no issues with comfort, it was quite nice actually. The leather is not as soft as some velvety pads can be, but that's to be expected. They are circum-aural headphones and there was more than enough room for my ears.

The only complaint I could possibly have was that it sometimes got my ears hot after hours of use, but I didn't mind that much.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Can't speak directly to the 580s, but I will say that the HFI-780s had 3 significant problems for me:

1. The clamping force - way too high, especially if you wear glasses.
2. The pleather used is super stiff and cuts into your head - both with the earpads and the head pad.
3. I found the 780s to have several ridiculous treble peaks - they seemed really shrill and hurt my ears.

Let me restate that these criticisms apply only to the HFI-780s, as I have not tried any other Ultrasone models. Due to that experience I certainly cannot recommend them, and would be unlikely to consider other Ultrasone cans myself.

This was my experience, your mileage may vary.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 9
i will say the only time my ultrasone 580's are uncomfortable is if i'm wearing earings. after 45 mins, the earings are pressed hard against my head. easy solution is to just take them out, but every time i do, i manage to forget to put them back in. annoying! 

if you want something other than pleather, may i suggest the Beyer DT250 ear pads. Fit well and other great comfort. Great alternative.

I left a review about them on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT250-Replacement-Earpads-Headphones/dp/B003Y59WNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1298445550&sr=8-1

good luck!

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
if you want something other than pleather, may i suggest the Beyer DT250 ear pads. Fit well and other great comfort. Great alternative.

Did you find that they affected the sound? I tried them myself, and while they helped a bit from a comfort perspective, I felt that they lost some of the tightness in the low end. Made them feel flabby to me.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Can't speak directly to the 580s, but I will say that the HFI-780s had 3 significant problems for me:

1. The clamping force - way too high, especially if you wear glasses.
2. The pleather used is super stiff and cuts into your head - both with the earpads and the head pad.
3. I found the 780s to have several ridiculous treble peaks - they seemed really shrill and hurt my ears.

Let me restate that these criticisms apply only to the HFI-780s, as I have not tried any other Ultrasone models. Due to that experience I certainly cannot recommend them, and would be unlikely to consider other Ultrasone cans myself.

This was my experience, your mileage may vary.

It´s the clampinf force i´m worried about. I wear glasses.
I have the Creative Aurvana Live and the ear cups are a little too small for my quite large ears. I wonder if the 580s have larger
ear cups?

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 9
Again, I can only speak to the 780s, but after owning them for a month, I HATED them. If I hadn't gotten my hands on a pair of Thunderpants, I was looking at Denons, Beyers and Audio Technicas instead. The Denons were comfy and sounded pretty decent - certainly not shrill like the 780s, the Beyers were comfy but a bit boomy for my taste, and I never got around to auditioning ATH. Maybe the 780s are the least comfortable Ultrasones around and the rest are fine, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back