ULTRASONE EDITION 9: LOVED or LOATHED?
Nov 17, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend, I have several amplifiers, I tried all of them.
Rudistor RPX-100
RSA Stealth
X-CAN v8
Corda Prehead MKII SE
Earmax Pro
Amity HPA4S

Any other suggestions?

I'd opt for an as flat/neutral amp as possible. Best if you get one custom build, the Edition 9 and PRO series shouldn't be coupled with greasy coloured amplifiers. I have owned a RPX-33 and the Edition 9 is horrible with it (even though Stereophile and I believe Ultrasone USA said they make a great couple). Class A2!

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Rudistor RPX-100
RSA Stealth
X-CAN v8
Corda Prehead MKII SE
Earmax Pro
Amity HPA4S

Any other suggestions?

If you write what you write, something must be wrong with this amplifiers. One guy who use Rudistor and E9 told to me whereas he was my guest, that just my amplifier show him, how good this headphones are. Unfortunately my amplifier is impossible to buy. Stock version of ASL Twin-Head is far away behind. This is very good amplifier, with better tubes - very, very good, but not as much as fantastic. It need better capacitors, better attenuator etc. Also Leben CS 600 is not particularly good for E9. Look for some superb SET with 2A3 tubes or 300B at last. Eventually Zana Deux or Ear Yoshino. (I don’t know them, but probably they are good.)
On the other hand AKG K1000 are better than E9, so you don’t need better headphones.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #18 of 37
Just received my ED9's. Wow. I'm playing them through a Macbook hooked up to a RS predator. I'm hearing nuances never heard in recordings I've been listening to for 20 years. I'm going to have trouble putting these down and going to bed.
My only issue is the cable. It's a bit stiff and seems kinda cheap. I expected a finer soft cable.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's amazing we hear so differently. I think they are the most detailed, have the most finesse, and have the most natural and realistic sound and presentation of all my headphones. And I'm not exaggerating.
beerchug.gif

That's almost what I was going to say but you did it first.
smile.gif

X2 for LOVE!

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Kees,

Amusingly: you let your Ed9 go because of its plastic sound and decided on the DX1000, while I am over the moon with the Ed9 and have returned the DX1000 after two weeks because of its closet sound. So differently impressions can be.
rolleyes.gif

But thousand thanks for the great hp and the flawless transaction, Kees.
beerchug.gif

Oh, I voted of course for LOVED.
atsmile.gif

I voted right after Lad27 early in the thread, but didn't post anything then.

I loved them enough to buy two pairs. I am still happy that I traded one of the two pairs with cash towards Kees's HE60 that he so graciously sold me. Now I can enjoy the best of both worlds, Edition 9 and HE60, and I feel bad for Kees, but you've got my old spare set of Edition 9 and I'm glad that you like them.

I just don't hear anything synthetic, plasticky or metallic in them, and really think they are good. They are even better with the APS V3 cable that I had installed on mine. My balanced Denon D2000 with stuffed earpads and markl woodies and APS V2 cable are also quite good, but different - sometimes I can't decide which I like more.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #22 of 37
I've voted that I love them, but that's a bit of an overstatement. Like any other headphones, they have their strengths and weaknesses. But for now and the foreseeable future, I'm keeping my pair. Same as the Qualia 010 which also got a love vote from me.

Interesting results at this point:

Quaila 010: 27-14 in favor of love.
Edition 9: 14-7 in favor of love.

Pretty much the same story for either, which I think suggests that although the opinions may be polarized (i.e., in terms of the value proposition) they're both excellent headphones when considered on their technical merits alone (i.e., in absolute terms, without reference to their respective price points).

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hearing nuances never heard in recordings I've been listening to for 20 years.

That was my initial experience, too. It was almost like getting all new recordings.

I'm not in the "love them" group, but rather, the "like them a lot" group.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Rudistor RPX-100
RSA Stealth
X-CAN v8
Corda Prehead MKII SE
Earmax Pro
Amity HPA4S

Any other suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you write what you write, something must be wrong with this amplifiers. One guy who use Rudistor and E9 told to me whereas he was my guest, that just my amplifier show him, how good this headphones are. Unfortunately my amplifier is impossible to buy. Stock version of ASL Twin-Head is far away behind. This is very good amplifier, with better tubes - very, very good, but not as much as fantastic. It need better capacitors, better attenuator etc. Also Leben CS 600 is not particularly good for E9. Look for some superb SET with 2A3 tubes or 300B at last. Eventually Zana Deux or Ear Yoshino. (I don’t know them, but probably they are good.)
On the other hand AKG K1000 are better than E9, so you don’t need better headphones.

Piotr, I think this should be an "agree to disagree" situation at this point. Think about it this way: the very premise of this thread is that there have been many strong opinions expressed on Head-Fi regarding the Edition 9's. They seem to be the type of headphones that are either loved or hated.

You have voted "loved" and have your reasons for that. Kees has voted "loathed" and he too has his reasons. His list of amps is quite impressive; it's not as though he wouldn't have been able to find one that has good synergy with the Edition 9 from that list (to his ears).

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #25 of 37
Aah, and the controversy continues. It is so strange how the Edition 9 continues to elicit such strong feelings for and against it. Somehow I wonder if it has to do with the S-Logic which seems to have as many strengths as faults. I don't see such polarizing opinions with the R-10 and even though there might be a few detractors, for the most part, it is universally loved. What is the difference? hmmm...

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Any other suggestions?

Source? Let's get it straight. Take the HD600's, compare them side by side with the E9's and see how many aspects might be improved - with the same source and amplifier, of course.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #27 of 37
Guess how I voted?

I think one reason they sound so differently to some is how the ear fits within the cups. My ears fit inside the earcups and are shaped because of that forming a sound field that may very well be different from others. Now that I have the SR-007MkII I see how others may prefer that sound. It is certainly different from the UE9. And I have been giving both lots of attention.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Piotr, I think this should be an "agree to disagree" situation at this point. Think about it this way: the very premise of this thread is that there have been many strong opinions expressed on Head-Fi regarding the Edition 9's. They seem to be the type of headphones that are either loved or hated.

You have voted "loved" and have your reasons for that. Kees has voted "loathed" and he too has his reasons. His list of amps is quite impressive; it's not as though he wouldn't have been able to find one that has good synergy with the Edition 9 from that list (to his ears).

Yes, of course, everyone should be allowed to proclaim – I hate Ultrasone Edition9. I was only a bit irritated by this “plastic violins” and especially “lack detail and finesse” declaration, although I must agree, that highs are subtly “rolled off” indeed.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source? Let's get it straight. Take the HD600's, compare them side by side with the E9's and see how many aspects might be improved - with the same source and amplifier, of course.

I don't think I agree. It is all about the combination amp/phones.
The HD600 (with RAL cable) from an Earmax Pro is a stunningly beautiful combination whereas the Ermax Pro is a lousy amp for the E9. On the other hand if I use the RPX-100, the E9 are pretty damn good, but this amp does not for the HD600 what the Earmax did.....
In the end it is a matter of taste and preference. I would prefer the HD600/Earmax over the E9/RPX-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back