Ultrasone Edition 9 Has Landed (Big Pics)
Apr 17, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #301 of 321
Apr 21, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #303 of 321
I have Edition9 on loan since today to Thursday, to write review (in Polish). But I also can write something in English, yet someone must help me with grammar – maybe once more Ryan (recstar24) ?

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #305 of 321
damn. i just spent half an hour describing/comparing my edition 9's to my ps-1's. when i did a submit everything i had written just disappeared. i am soo frustrated. i hate computers as only a programmer with 25 years experience really can.

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #306 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn. i just spent half an hour describing/comparing my edition 9's to my ps-1's. when i did a submit everything i had written just disappeared. i am soo frustrated. i hate computers as only a programmer with 25 years experience really can.

Let me guess, Windows?

Apr 21, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #308 of 321
Quote:

Equally frustrated, as I, and I'm quite sure others, would have loved to read the comparo... Next time, please save your work.

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #310 of 321
FYI I posted this on the "original" Ultrasone thread and thought you might find it of interest: Balanced Edition 9 Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the International meet I purchased the only known authorized dealer (RudiStor) created balanced Edition 9s. It became a joke with the Ultrasone reps that I have #1 of 1. Sovkiller was right, and Analog'd (Jimmy) confirmed that the Edition 9s are a whole differnet animal that the PROlines. I feel that they are truly top tier HP and I compared them to some of the best at the meet. The Edition 9s sound like an Ultrasone but they are more refined. It sort of like comparing ice cream to gelato. Gelato has more cream and so is smoother. But that doesn't mean that regular ice cream is rough. Also I find them to be more comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Balanced vs single ended (my Edition 9 can go either way) is another significant difference. Many people have said the the Senn 650 in balanced configuration is a top tier HP. Some have even suggested that it is one of the best. I compared the Balanced Edition 9s to 3 or 4 balanced Senn 650. In each instance I felt that the Balanced Edition 9s were significantly superior to the 650s. I have compared my Edition 9s balanced vs unbalanced and find that there is a significant improvement with the balanced.

You can read more of my comparisons of the Edition 9s vs other high end cans here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...236593&page=25

May 4, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #311 of 321
Quote:

Have you written this up again yet? I think I will have to do this against my W5000 once I get about 300 hours on the UE9s.

I am loving what I am hearing right now out of the box.

May 4, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #312 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you written this up again yet? I think I will have to do this against my W5000 once I get about 300 hours on the UE9s.

I am loving what I am hearing right now out of the box.

that's great news. congrats!

i will try to do some a/b listening and some longer sessions under both the 9's and ps1's over the weekend. then will write fresh impressions. I was so frustrated that day that i couldn't get myself to focus on it again.

i will say that having both is really wonderful. they are so very different that goin under them is like jumpin in two totally different bodies of cool water for a swim on hot days. ya know, in one instance the lake is just perfect, but in another only the ocean'll do it. just a completely different experience. but we are talkin amazing ocean and lakefront on a perfect day in both cases...

can you tell i have spring fever and wanna be outside?

i am going crasy sitting at my desk despite my work rig (the ue9's, an hr2 and a cayin 17cdt).
came in early so i can get the hell out at 4:00, but thats 2 hr 35 min and 12 seconds away and i just can't stand it! (i even wore sandals to work but it ain't helpin'...
mad.gif
frown.gif
eek.gif
)

May 10, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #313 of 321
May 12, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #314 of 321
Got my Edition 9's balanced with Silver Dragon cable by Drew...Oh My God!!!!
icon10.gif
Whether due to better cables or the balanced nature (or both) there is quite an improvement in the sound. Bass is phenomenal, while the whole sound is more coherant and smoother. I only have about 10 hours on the new cables so I hope that the sound will improve even further with break-in.

Comparitively, the balanced Edition 9's are better than the balanced HD650s; smoother sound, deeper bass, better depth of soundfield. However, less "air" around the instruments. The two together are terrific complementary headphones, however.

If I have time, I am hoping to put out a full review of the Edition 9 vs DX1000 vs W5000 vs D5000 (Closed Headphone Comparo!). Early results have the Edition 9 as the front runner due to overall superior sound. The Denon D5000 is a close second with terrific bass, a neutral, uncolored midrange, and relatively smooth highs. The bass may be a touch too pronounced, however, leading to perception of a slightly recessed midrange. The JVC DX1000 is practically tied for second with no serious faults other than a mildly nasal-colored midrange, yet VERY smooth and easy on the ears. The AT W5000 has a terrific midrange and treble (gorgeous female vocals), yet the reticent bass and distant perspective are major drawbacks for me. The Denon's are the most comfortable, followed by the JVC's. The Edition 9's are a little snug while the AT's are too loose. More to come...

May 12, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #315 of 321
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Edition 9's balanced with Silver Dragon cable by Drew...Oh My God!!!!
icon10.gif
Whether due to better cables or the balanced nature (or both) there is quite an improvement in the sound. Bass is phenomenal, while the whole sound is more coherant and smoother. I only have about 10 hours on the new cables so I hope that the sound will improve even further with break-in.

Comparitively, the balanced Edition 9's are better than the balanced HD650s; smoother sound, deeper bass, better depth of soundfield. However, less "air" around the instruments. The two together are terrific complementary headphones, however.

If I have time, I am hoping to put out a full review of the Edition 9 vs DX1000 vs W5000 vs D5000 (Closed Headphone Comparo!). Early results have the Edition 9 as the front runner due to overall superior sound. The Denon D5000 is a close second with terrific bass, a neutral, uncolored midrange, and relatively smooth highs. The bass may be a touch too pronounced, however, leading to perception of a slightly recessed midrange. The JVC DX1000 is practically tied for second with no serious faults other than a mildly nasal-colored midrange, yet VERY smooth and easy on the ears. The AT W5000 has a terrific midrange and treble (gorgeous female vocals), yet the reticent bass and distant perspective are major drawbacks for me. The Denon's are the most comfortable, followed by the JVC's. The Edition 9's are a little snug while the AT's are too loose. More to come...

Are you comparing the balanced Edition 9s against the other HP as balanced. If the others are single-ened it doesn't seem like a very fair comparison. I have the balanced Edition 9s by Rudi of RudiStor, and agree that they are a step above the single-ended version. I've also got balanced Senn 600s as agree that they are a good compliment for the Edition 9. While, in my experience, the Senns scale very well balanced, The balanced Edition 9s still seem to be a big step up from either the 600 or the 650 balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back