Ultrasone Edition 9 advice
Jun 23, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree about the burn-in. My 9s have about 200 hours on them, and they’re still changing, albeit subtly. They really are tremedous ‘phones, IMO stacking up well against some of the classics. BTW, I used to own the same exact dCS and Esoteric systems you own. You have good taste.
cool.gif

Thanks for the compliment. I love the Esoteric setup. What did you replace them with? I bought the 9's as a consolation prize to myself when I could not afford some HE 90's for sale.

I'm off to break in the GS-X.

Cheers,

Bob

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #17 of 30
I finally settled on a modded X-01. I like the way it sounds, though the loss of warranty is a bummer. What we audiophiles do in the pursuit of the absolute sound.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the compliment. I love the Esoteric setup. What did you replace them with? I bought the 9's as a consolation prize to myself when I could not afford some HE 90's for sale.

I'm off to break in the GS-X.

Cheers,

Bob

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #19 of 30
Mine are balanced with Jena Labs wire. Some have said that balancing the '9s doesn't result in a big improvement, but that definitely was not my experience. I noticed significant gains in overall resolution and dynamics, and low-end punch. Just choose your wire carefully. All of it is not created equal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone configured these Balanced?

The Balanced PS-1's on Ebay have me thinking again. Yeah not in my job description but what the hey.

Mitch

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Mine are balanced with Jena Labs wire. Some have said that balancing the '9s doesn't result in a big improvement, but that definitely was not my experience. I noticed significant gains in overall resolution and dynamics, and low-end punch. Just choose your wire carefully. All of it is not created equal.

Not cheap, but well worth it - seems to be your assessment of the Jena Labs E9 recable job. Definitely something to consider for the future.

Hey, this is a cool thread. I'm still on the fence about the Edition 9, but mostly because my headphone listening time seems to have dwindled away quite a bit this year. I don't want to get them and then just let them sit there like so many of my cans have been doing of late.

This could simply be a function of a number of factors that will prove to be only temporary restraints from my enjoyment of the headphone aspect of the hobby:

1. I've been off-Island more than I've been here this year, and that will only get worse as the year wears on,

2. My 2 channel system is now exceptionally well dialed in and leaves me 100% satisfied no matter what music I throw at it, and this is especially so with vinyl,

3. I don't, at present, have a 2nd vinyl rig (hint hint, one day soon perhaps) that I could set up with my headphone gear,

4. I've been waiting forever and a day to recieve my SDS-XRL and ES-1 and know that when they arrive (whenever that might be) I'll once again feel revitalized for headphone listening,

5. I now have an amazing young lady in my life and I enjoy spending time with her (with music flowing from the speakers) rather than by myself (in headphone nirvana) and this gives us a chance to talk and catch up with each other's day,

6. I'm starting to develop some other hobby-like interests (digital photography and soon digital videography, plus the whole excitement about my Ariel Atom build process this year and all sorts of gadgets that will go along with it), and

7. My work (mostly computer based) simply requires more concentration than 'serious' headphone listening would allow for.

What that all translates to is a situation whereby it doesn't make sense to be buying more headphone gear for now! Finally, I've found solid reasons to stop the madness! Ok, not stop the madness, just temporarily pause it for a while. I suspect that the SDS-XLR will get me pretty excited about all the "balanced this and balanced that" stuff which will lead to some recable jobs and the like.

I'd love to start getting my girlfriend into the headphones hobby because she's a real music lover and I firmly believe that headphone listening brings on an entire new world to the ears and soul of the average music lover! It's good training for a budding audiophile in the sense that it builds such wonderful listening skills and opens the mind to layers and layers of the possibilities that music provides in terms of life enrichment.

When the time comes (as we settle into things relationship-wise and don't need as much dedicated one on one time to learn more about each other), I'd like for her to start going through the paces with me such that she can begin to hear what I hear and truly "get it" in terms of the hobby. That way, when she eventually takes up residence, it will feel like a mutual hobby to her rather than just my thing (as other girlfriends have viewed it in the past).

Trust me, it won't be a matter of pulling teeth because she loves music of all kinds very much. It's just that we're not there yet and she tends to be quite tired in the evenings when she would have time for some listening. I know it would be good for her, and for me, and thus for us, if she gets into it at least enough to really understand what it's all about and why it's such a passion to me. Otherwise, something will suffer in the end, and I don't want that to be my listening time! Oh, I suppose it might suffer a little, but it will always be a huge part of my lifestyle.

Ok, moving on... randerson3024, you've got some excellent gear there! As others have said, you've got wonderful taste. What I'm most curious about, however, is your "ship" rig and the "...but I travel worldwide all year" thing! Sounds yummy, tell us more please (if you don't mind)!

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not cheap, but well worth it - seems to be your assessment of the Jena Labs E9 recable job. Definitely something to consider for the future.

Hey, this is a cool thread. I'm still on the fence about the Edition 9, but mostly because my headphone listening time seems to have dwindled away quite a bit this year. I don't want to get them and then just let them sit there like so many of my cans have been doing of late.

This could simply be a function of a number of factors that will prove to be only temporary restraints from my enjoyment of the headphone aspect of the hobby:

1. I've been off-Island more than I've been here this year, and that will only get worse as the year wears on,

2. My 2 channel system is now exceptionally well dialed in and leaves me 100% satisfied no matter what music I throw at it, and this is especially so with vinyl,

3. I don't, at present, have a 2nd vinyl rig (hint hint, one day soon perhaps) that I could set up with my headphone gear,

4. I've been waiting forever and a day to recieve my SDS-XRL and ES-1 and know that when they arrive (whenever that might be) I'll once again feel revitalized for headphone listening,

5. I now have an amazing young lady in my life and I enjoy spending time with her (with music flowing from the speakers) rather than by myself (in headphone nirvana) and this gives us a chance to talk and catch up with each other's day,

6. I'm starting to develop some other hobby-like interests (digital photography and soon digital videography, plus the whole excitement about my Ariel Atom build process this year and all sorts of gadgets that will go along with it), and

7. My work (mostly computer based) simply requires more concentration than 'serious' headphone listening would allow for.

What that all translates to is a situation whereby it doesn't make sense to be buying more headphone gear for now! Finally, I've found solid reasons to stop the madness! Ok, not stop the madness, just temporarily pause it for a while. I suspect that the SDS-XLR will get me pretty excited about all the "balanced this and balanced that" stuff which will lead to some recable jobs and the like.

I'd love to start getting my girlfriend into the headphones hobby because she's a real music lover and I firmly believe that headphone listening brings on an entire new world to the ears and soul of the average music lover! It's good training for a budding audiophile in the sense that it builds such wonderful listening skills and opens the mind to layers and layers of the possibilities that music provides in terms of life enrichment.

When the time comes (as we settle into things relationship-wise and don't need as much dedicated one on one time to learn more about each other), I'd like for her to start going through the paces with me such that she can begin to hear what I hear and truly "get it" in terms of the hobby. That way, when she eventually takes up residence, it will feel like a mutual hobby to her rather than just my thing (as other girlfriends have viewed it in the past).

Trust me, it won't be a matter of pulling teeth because she loves music of all kinds very much. It's just that we're not there yet and she tends to be quite tired in the evenings when she would have time for some listening. I know it would be good for her, and for me, and thus for us, if she gets into it at least enough to really understand what it's all about and why it's such a passion to me. Otherwise, something will suffer in the end, and I don't want that to be my listening time! Oh, I suppose it might suffer a little, but it will always be a huge part of my lifestyle.

Ok, moving on... randerson3024, you've got some excellent gear there! As others have said, you've got wonderful taste. What I'm most curious about, however, is your "ship" rig and the "...but I travel worldwide all year" thing! Sounds yummy, tell us more please (if you don't mind)!

Thanks for all the compliments. I work aboard the USNS Invincible for Raytheon. I am not allowed to say much, but we track hostile nation's missile firings and record and analyze the data. I can't say more. A Google search will tell you more than I am allowed to say. I am on board 9 months of the year for the next 3 years until I meet some financial goals. Suffice to say, I try and make myself comfortable to maintain my sanity! Music, literature, and this forum go a long way in making that happen.
blink.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Thanks for all the compliments. I work aboard the USNS Invincible for Raytheon. I am not allowed to say much, but we track hostile nation's missile firings and record and analyze the data. I can't say more. A Google search will tell you more than I am allowed to say. I am on board 9 months of the year for the next 3 years until I meet some financial goals. Suffice to say, I try and make myself comfortable to maintain my sanity! Music, literature, and this forum go a long way in making that happen.
blink.gif

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you'll remember the experiences forever.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

blink.gif

From a career Navy man, thank you for helping us serve our country! I can FULLY understand the need for some quality entertainment while "haze gray and underway." For me, nothing does that better than music.

Quote:

Has anyone configured these Balanced?

Mitch

Silver Dragon balanced by Drew. LOVE IT!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to the guy that heard a small change after 50 hours... It takes several hundred hours before the bass tightens up and the treble opens up. I bought my second pair of Ed. 9's after the other had about 400 hours. There was a very noticible difference between the sound of the two.

You may be right about differences in break-in. I noticed the MOST change with my pair after 50 hours. Yeah, there were subtle differences afterward, but harder to pin down, especially without the luxury of having two pairs to compare to each other. Now that they are broken in, however, they are AWESOME.

Quote:

I just ordered some Ultrasone Edition 9's as a consolation prize to myself

Bob,

After you hear these, you may no longer think of them as a "consolation prize." I love mine!

Keep the Vinyl Spinning!

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #24 of 30
Hey cool. I served on the USNS Vanguard in the early '80's doing navigation research for the Trident 2 subsystem.

So those pictures of your gear with the bungee cords holding them down is onboard the ship?

One of our guys had a turntable on board- that was before CD's. Frigg'n Sony Wakman was basically new then.

Mitch

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #26 of 30
Thanks to all for the compliments!

I can't wait to get the Ultrsones. Right now, I am breaking in my new GS-X with Sennheiser HD 650's and a Cardas balanced cable. I moved the RCA outputs to the Stax amp from the Esoteric D-03 to try out the Sennheiser HE 60's. They really make me wish I had my SRM-007t out here instead of the solid state SRM-727. The Esetoric DV60 is now feeding the EAR HP-4 via Nordost Valhalla XLR's. It should be great for DVD's and DVD A's.

Cheers!

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Hey cool. I served on the USNS Vanguard in the early '80's doing navigation research for the Trident 2 subsystem.

So those pictures of your gear with the bungee cords holding them down is onboard the ship?

One of our guys had a turntable on board- that was before CD's. Frigg'n Sony Wakman was basically new then.

Mitch

Yeah, that stuff could launch in bad seas, so it's all bungee corded down. I probably should have taken it all off before taking the pictures. Good thing Nordost or Siltech doesn't make audiophile bungee cord, then I'd really be out some cash..........................................
biggrin.gif

I don't know how anyone could ever have a turntable on board - I have to admire his bravery.

Excuse the late response, I am far, far, away from home.

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Mitch

Ever hear of the Redstone or Observation Island? We are the next generation built on those legacy systems.

Jun 24, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #29 of 30
Legacy System- Yeah the Vanguard was a converted oil tanker I believe. They just added a deck on top for the state rooms. It handled like a bloated turd and doing navigation research we'd end up doing really strange things in rough seas.

What's amazing looking back is one whole lower deck was full of old test equipment from the Apollo launches. I saw a McIntosh Tube amp in one huge store room. Being into tubes now I can only dream of what was in all those store rooms.

When I was in our only direct civilian link to the outside world was via Marasat at (I think) $10 a minute with a 10 minute minumum.

Mitch

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

I gotta jump in here, even though I've been keeping a low Head-fi profile for awhile recently. I think I was the first one on Head-fi to have the balanced Edition 9, at least from recent postings I could see. I feel that they scale well going balanced, not night and day (what really changes like that anyway) but still significant to hear and appreciate the difference. Sovkiller had heard the balanced Edition 9s and didn't think they did well balanced. We went around a bit on the "There's Something About Ultrasone" thread. But I have loved them. Also Jena wire might be a great way to go (haven't heard it), but I believe that mine are stock cable that got special re-termination by Rudi of Rudistor that allows me to do quick A/Bing SE vs balanced. I definately can tell the difference--as mentioned above. So while I agree as to the improvement with balanced Edition 9s, my experience is that you don't have to go to exotic wire to gain the benefit. And I'm only lovin the Edition 9s more and more as time goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back