Ultrasone Edition 9 advice
Jun 22, 2007 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

randerson3024

Owns the ultimate portable rig
I just ordered some Ultrasone Edition 9's as a consolation prize to myself after not being able to afford the HE 90's advertised this week. I plan on mating them with my EAR HP-4. Does anyone have any practical advice to lend?

Cheers,

Bob

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 30
None, except I think you are going to LOVE the sound.

Congrats on the purchase!

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered some Ultrasone Edition 9's as a consolation prize to myself after not being able to afford the HE 90's advertised this week. I plan on mating them with my EAR HP-4. Does anyone have any practical advice to lend?

Cheers,

Bob

I don't think they will be starving with your equipment. Enjoy the music as do already to so well. I will be looking forward to your impressions.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None, except I think you are going to LOVE the sound.

Congrats on the purchase!

Nice vinyl system! I got impatient waiting on my Skala and went straight to the Titani. It is way better than my old Helikon. I bet you are enjoying the Skala!

Cheers,

Bob

PS I had the CD7 for awhile, too. You have great taste in gear. I absolutely love the Ref 3, PH-7, Ref 210 combination. It hurt me to sell the Ref CD7, but I just got too good of a deal on the upgrade.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 30
Congrats! I look forward to impressions as well.

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Nice vinyl system! I got impatient waiting on my Skala and went straight to the Titani. It is way better than my old Helikon. I bet you are enjoying the Skala!

Cheers,

Bob

PS I had the CD7 for awhile, too. You have great taste in gear. I absolutely love the Ref 3, PH-7, Ref 210 combination. It hurt me to sell the Ref CD7, but I just got too good of a deal on the upgrade.

Thanks! I am a huge vinyl lover, and love my current system. The Skala is KILLER but still a step below the Titan. I am thinking of a Koetsu but have not made the jump yet.

Funny, we must have similar tastes in gear, as I also owned the PH-7 for awhile! Amazing sound quality that I only gave up on because I wanted to go balanced (LOVE the XR-10B). My CD7 is suffering from sibling rivalry as I hardly play it in favor of the vinyl.

Your's looks fantastic as well! I HIGHLY considered the Basis but got the VPI from TTVJ. Vinyl heaven...

The Ed.9's did not need a lot of break-in, but I still heard a small amount of change after 50 hours. Great 'phones.

Aloha!

Kevin

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Cheers,

Bob

Quote:

Thanks! I am a huge vinyl lover, and love my current system. The Skala is KILLER but still a step below the Titan. I am thinking of a Koetsu but have not made the jump yet.

Funny, we must have similar tastes in gear, as I also owned the PH-7 for awhile! Amazing sound quality that I only gave up on because I wanted to go balanced (LOVE the XR-10B). My CD7 is suffering from sibling rivalry as I hardly play it in favor of the vinyl.

Your's looks fantastic as well! I HIGHLY considered the Basis but got the VPI from TTVJ. Vinyl heaven...

The Ed.9's did not need a lot of break-in, but I still heard a small amount of change after 50 hours. Great 'phones.

Aloha!

Kevin

Wait a minute, Torske stole my vinyl rig! OK, we just have the same one is all.
biggrin.gif
I was about to point out that Todd had the Skala in stock and even mounted it on the arm for me when I bought the Aries 3 and then noticed that Torske has the same exact setup. Did you also get the single motor flywheel? I did not hear the Aries without it, but I certainly like it with it.

I have thought about a mono cart but do not really plan to switch and swap all that much. Any of you guys have a mono cart you think is the shizzle?

Oh, and Bob, I have been toying with the idea of UE9s and have my local shop getting a pair for me to audition because I was stupid enough to miss them at the Int'l Meet. Post up your thoughts when you get 'em. Not sure I will have held off long enough, but more info is better!
tongue.gif

Happy sailing!

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait a minute, Torske stole my vinyl rig! OK, we just have the same one is all.
biggrin.gif
I was about to point out that Todd had the Skala in stock and even mounted it on the arm for me when I bought the Aries 3 and then noticed that Torske has the same exact setup. Did you also get the single motor flywheel? I did not hear the Aries without it, but I certainly like it with it.

I have thought about a mono cart but do not really plan to switch and swap all that much. Any of you guys have a mono cart you think is the shizzle?

Happy sailing!

Great set-up Voltron! I love the Aries 3 and the Skala! Todd must be pushing these things!
icon10.gif

I could not help myself and went for the Single Motor Flywheel and HRX feet in addition to the SDS. Do they make a difference? I don't know as I have not compared. Do I love it? YOU BET!

Bob,

You will have to tell me how the Ed9 pairs with the EAR amp. I have always loved the EAR products (I also have the EAR 834P Chrome phono preamp) and am most interested in the headphone amp.

Keep the Vinyl Spinning!

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 30
getting back to edition 9 advise - you must gather all the patience you can muster to survive the break in period. i loved mine out of the box enough to know I should stick it out as the insanity began. I mean they were ALL over the place and then some. after 100's of hours they were finally not freaking out any more. at 450 hours they hit an unexpected final shift and totally came into their own. so, my advise is to not give up on them prematurely.

and congratulations, they will blow you away once broken in.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 30
As to the guy that heard a small change after 50 hours... It takes several hundred hours before the bass tightens up and the treble opens up. I bought my second pair of Ed. 9's after the other had about 400 hours. There was a very noticible difference between the sound of the two.

They will be VERY tight at first. The very top of the headband can be significantly bent so that they are comfortable.

As good of sources as you have, and am not sure which iPod version you have, but I'd recommend at least trying your iPod on the 'Acoustic' EQ setting.

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Aloha!

Kevin

We do have a lot in common. I also love Koetsu. The new Bloodstone gives me a chubby. I have two, a Sugano SR Rosewood and a Urushi Black. I am thinking of sending the Rosewood in and having it upgraded to a Platinum. The other cartridges that really shine in my system are my Kiseki's, most notably, the Agate Ruby, followed by the Purple Heart Sapphire.

Cheers,

Bob

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 30
I agree about the burn-in. My 9s have about 200 hours on them, and they’re still changing, albeit subtly. They really are tremedous ‘phones, IMO stacking up well against some of the classics. BTW, I used to own the same exact dCS and Esoteric systems you own. You have good taste.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back