Ultrasone Edition 8
Dec 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #1,711 of 2,099
Quote:
Has anyone tried the Edition 8 with the much discussed Audioquest Dragonfly?

I bought one and it brought my ED8 to the next level, sounding very detailed and powerful.  Just more of everything.

However I have never used another headphone amp with my ED8 so I am not sure how it compares to the other amps.  Any comments and experience with the other amps appreciated.

Yeah, I have a DF and Ed8.  IME they do a good.  Slightly preferred them out of an ODAC/O2 combo I used to have, just a bit better control down low.  People say they don't scale well but I primarily used mine out of nice desktop setup (Metrum Octave -> WA6SE maxxed) and IMO there yet 'another level' performance beyond a good portable setup that you can wring from these.  

But then you can also play them out of a simple DAP and they sound unusually good for full sized cans driven out of such a source - such versatility, aesthetics/build quality, portability/iso make them worth what they are to a large degree IMO  I don't really use mine (or any full size cans) anymore as I'm on a strictly IEM diet since quitting a desk job and do the remote contracting thing out of various cafes.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #1,712 of 2,099
SN 2639 reporting in here. These headphones are pretty amazing. The comfort is top notch even with glasses. Prior to these, I had the T5p. The Ed8 is just a lot lighter and more fun. As a potential owner of HD800, I feel like the edition 8 is more suitable as secondary cans than the T5p. Anyways, happy listening guys

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #1,714 of 2,099
Quote:
SN 2639 reporting in here. These headphones are pretty amazing. The comfort is top notch even with glasses. Prior to these, I had the T5p. The Ed8 is just a lot lighter and more fun. As a potential owner of HD800, I feel like the edition 8 is more suitable as secondary cans than the T5p. Anyways, happy listening guys

^5 Found the Ed8 much more portable, better seal and nicer low ompf over the T5p~ Yet to find a replacement candidate for these fantastic cans :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,715 of 2,099
Preferred the T5p myself, just get on better with the sound signature. Sold my Ed8 and traded up to the Jaben modded T5p - removable balanced cables and pads mod - really increases the bass (as well as making them better suited for portable use). Good thing we have all these choices :)

(certainly would agree the Ed8 make a better companion to the HD800, offering not only the portability aspect but also a different sound signature)

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,717 of 2,099
I just use my wife's leather cleaner.. That she uses for her Pradas and such :p

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #1,718 of 2,099
Those Edition 8 ARE overpriced

But i'm not saying this because they dont deserve their price, ive just happily bought christmas Ed8 :) !

I'm saying this because, even if its my 1st pair over 500$ and my first little opening to high end gear, it the 1st time ive been able to convince people about the aim of high end headphones!

I didnt even convince anyone, just "pick up your favorite song, iphone + spotify > E11 > ed8, and listen"

The wow factor of these is amazing, the fun is there for everyone !

So yes, they should be less expensive, because they are the key to a worldwide ear opening (ok, christmas dream ... But yet !)

Every discussion with my 200-500$ cans ended up like "yes .... Well, its a matter of what ones like in music, and my 30$ cans are close to yours"

With the ed8 its just "i dont know what kind of mortage you topl for these, but hell ... It is worth it"

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,719 of 2,099
Quote:
Those Edition 8 ARE overpriced
But i'm not saying this because they dont deserve their price, ive just happily bought christmas Ed8
smily_headphones1.gif
!
I'm saying this because, even if its my 1st pair over 500$ and my first little opening to high end gear, it the 1st time ive been able to convince people about the aim of high end headphones!
I didnt even convince anyone, just "pick up your favorite song, iphone + spotify > E11 > ed8, and listen"
The wow factor of these is amazing, the fun is there for everyone !
So yes, they should be less expensive, because they are the key to a worldwide ear opening (ok, christmas dream ... But yet !)
Every discussion with my 200-500$ cans ended up like "yes .... Well, its a matter of what ones like in music, and my 30$ cans are close to yours"
With the ed8 its just "i dont know what kind of mortage you topl for these, but hell ... It is worth it"

It's not only that, but the Ed 8s offer portability and they look absolutely stunning IMO.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,722 of 2,099
I'm considering to buy the Ed 8 but wonder if they'll fit well as I have larger than average ears. Can folks with larger ears comment on fit - or better - does anyone know what's the internal dimensions of the ear cup?

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #1,724 of 2,099
I haven't measured my ears, but I think they're about average size.  One of my ears doesn't fit into the V-Moda M-100 earpad, but my ears fit comfortably into the Edition 8 pads.  The M-100 earpads are about 57mm X 35mm, and the Edition 8 pads seem a bit wider and taller.

Best thing to do is buy from a place with a good return policy.  Or, be willing to wear these slightly on-ear if necessary.

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,725 of 2,099
I feel a lot of the sound quality would be lost if you effectively had to use them as on ear.. The seal wouldn't work right.

Whereabouts are you driveman? Maybe there's a meet coming up near you or a headphone store carrying such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back