Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,951 of 2,099
....the part could be purchased on e-bay and the repair takes all of 10 minutes I hope this will be helpful if any other owners have the same problem    

it's very good info. Looks like you have some experience, couldn't  you put on Youtube a clip how did you do it?

i have my U-8 about the year and i love it so much that i'm not gona sell it never, so i must prepare to fix it if something goes wrong.

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,952 of 2,099
I love the sound of these headphones, but the ear pads are slightly small for me. Does anyone know if I can buy custom earpads that are perhaps slightly longer in length? Either the top of my ear fits, or the lobe - which leads to buildup of heat and sweat.

If anyone has any insight, it would be highly appreciated!

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,953 of 2,099
Help!  The ear-pads on my UE 8 just became un-glued ( literally) and fell off.

Does anyone know the best way to fix this problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.
double sided tape doesn't adhere well. .

double sided foam tape works but ruins bass response. .

There is a double sided tape used for women's clothes to stick onto their body so they won't have "wardrobe malfunction "..

It is softer and flexibe and it seems to do the job to stick those pads but I ripped them off once and they quickly loose their bond so ita a one time use..

To put on, apply one side to the pad first. .

I used 3 strips..

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,954 of 2,099
Since I made the choice to stay with the ed8 over all others (due to its superior details & sLogic),
I have decided to open and replace my headband.
but before I do that I want to tailor the sound for me as my unit has more V-shaped sound than the other ed8 I herd.
my unit is old.

looking at the insides and tinkering and researching showed me that there is nothing at all you can do with the inside (aside from maybe a bit of dynamat I haven't tried) to benifit the sound ,
as that Ultrasone s-logic majic will be diminished with any tampering and mids will get congested.

So to lessen the bass (for me) I just used a circular adhesive felt to cover nearest bass port hole from driver. .

The other stuff(black foam) I put is just me tinkering, so disregard that other stuff :wink:

Warning:
If you peel off the pads they will not bond well again. .

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,955 of 2,099
Hey there guys i was wondering if any dutch Head-fiers know a place to listen to these headphones? I currently own a pair of Denon D7k's but am noticing i use my on the go headphones alot more so im thinking about trading the D7k's for the Ed8's but i would REALLY like to listen to them before i decide. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,956 of 2,099
Anyone? No one? too bad.

I was also wondering how hard it was to replace the cable on the older models. The pre Romeo and Julia versions? I can't really find a good answer to if its easy to do or doable at all.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,958 of 2,099

Was there a considerable change in sound with the Moon Audio mod ? I'm really on the fence with this but have the Ed 8's and have spoken to Drew about sending them to him. How does it affect the bass ?  

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #1,959 of 2,099
It sounds more linear overall, I feel like there is more control over the sound and the bass goes deeper but less boomy. But just my personal opinion, don't blame me if you don't like the sound :)

But there is one down side though, the cable adds more weight to the headphones overall, so it becomes less portable and heavier on head.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,961 of 2,099

Thanks ! I hadn't thought about cable weight but that is a major consideration since I only listen while on the move

Yah, you might wanna ask Peter from doublehelixcable and see if he can do a cable for ultrasone edition 8. His cable is lighter and more flexible, no sure about the sound though, I have never heard one, but am very willing to try one in the future :)

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,962 of 2,099

I've tried other cables but the only significant change was either ALO or Moon. Didn't really think there would be much to it tell I Green Lined the 650's and WOW did the sound open up even tried the cable on HD 25's and again WOW ! That was the reason for considering recable on the Ed 8's if a cable change can be so dramatic on a HD 25 what would it be on the Ed's ?      

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,965 of 2,099

Kinda hard to tell with the pictures, but that's some surprisingly low quality solder work. I'm sad to see that on such an expensive set of headphones. 

maybe you right, and if you look the next several posts you will see some guy did it, but on my question how much he paid, he didn't give a straight answer, I think it coasted him about $140. So it's good idea DIY, but i don't know how open these can, so maybe somebody will put a video clip. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back