Ultrasone Edition 8
Jan 19, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #121 of 2,099
Ya i asked elsewhere about this. I saw a picture, kind of showing them as full sized but i can't find specs anywhere. Are they full sized cabled for portable? I was looking for the driver size but saw that ed9s had only 40mm drivers. Ed9s are full sized but that seems small for a full size, my esw9s have 40mm drivers and they seem small. On the other hand i think my DX1000s have 50mm drivers. So what is the criteria on a full sized can?
confused_face.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #122 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit perplexed about something: Why would Ultrasone make a full-sized headphone and then name it Edition 8 instead of Edition 10? An Edition 10 headphone seems to be the next logical step.

You're not the only one wondering!
But we can always hope for a later Edition 10 release. An Edition 9 successor, and not "just" a new 'phone in the line.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #123 of 2,099
I have contacted Norther Sound & Light today and the Edition 8 won't be available before the middle of April.

But, the biggest surprise for me was when the rep told me that the price for the Edition 8 is only [size=large]$960[/size]
eek.gif

It's still a lot of money for a pair of headphones but at least they are less expensive than the HD800 and the PS1000.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #125 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, and they are made from seemingly exquisite materials. I hope they sound terrific but I have a feeling they are not going to be the sea change that the HD800 is.

Exquisite or exotic materials? I think of exquisite as jewel encrusted, and exotic as uncommon. Now I need to go hit the dictionary - dang you head-fi!

[lavishly elegant and refined - strikingly strange or unusual - it's both]

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #126 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exquisite or exotic materials? I think of exquisite as jewel encrusted, and exotic as uncommon. Now I need to go hit the dictionary - dang you head-fi!

[lavishly elegant and refined - strikingly strange or unusual - it's both]

I did mean exquisite. I don't consider most metals to be exotic though I am sure there are metals that are exotic, such as beryllium. By the way headphoneaddict, you are the cause of one of my problems. You suggested I listen to binaural recordings and I have been listening to as much free stuff as possible. I am still not convinced of the soundstaging on my IEM's with binaural recordings but the headstaging is quite impressive. Yes, there are a few bells and whistles that sound like they are coming from another place but I still think that IEM's excel at headstaging and most of the music seems to be in and around the head. With an orchestra, I would like it to sound like the music is coming from 20 feet in front of me. This is an open question to me still since I have just started dipping my toe into this arena. I plan on ordering Stravinsky's - Rite of Spring on a binaural CD and I am very curious as to what it will sound like. I am pretty sure it will be more convincing than the CD's I have but I am still a sceptic at this point. I have to say headphoneaddict, this is a good problem to have. Thanks.

Feb 26, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #127 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have contacted Norther Sound & Light today and the Edition 8 won't be available before the middle of April.

But, the biggest surprise for me was when the rep told me that the price for the Edition 8 is only [size=large]$960[/size]
eek.gif

It's still a lot of money for a pair of headphones but at least they are less expensive than the HD800 and the PS1000.

Thanks fo the inform! Wow, cheaper than Ed.9. I wonder does it beat Ed.9 or just sound different? I wonder did your dealer mention anything on that...?
wink_face.gif

PS. is Ed.8 going to be built in Germany?

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #128 of 2,099
That is tempting....to trade in my ESW10 and get the UE8.....

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #130 of 2,099
Euhm, hell no. If the HD800 sounds like the Ed9 my interest drops massivly

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #132 of 2,099
Crazy slam? As in overboosted bass? Well if you don't amp the ed9 with a strong amp it did have big sloppy bass so that could suit your needs.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #134 of 2,099
you'r welcome? Anyway I didn't say anything about rudistor's, I just said I have had the ED9 for about 1,5 month, and noticed the better the amp, the tighter the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back