Ultrasone Edition 8
Aug 13, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,081 of 2,099
I don't agree with this.  First, every headphone performs better w/ desktop or stationary rigs.  The edition 8 does scale up pretty well, but not more than other flagship headphones.  From my experience, the lcd2, t1, and hd800 scale up much more when switching from my portable to desktop rig.  Infact, I would say the edition 8 is probably the most forgiving headphone I have tried for poor sources and amps.  

Quote:
It all depends on having the right combo to be used with the Edition 8.  Its a portable that shouldnt be used with portable amps or portable daps...nothing exists that does it justice that I am aware of or have used.  Even the CLAS combo doesn't do it justice, the edition 8 is capable of immense levels of clarity and dynamics.  You need a massive source and a good forward amp for it to truly shine.  

Despite that need, its still the best portable set ever made and when it is used with mid range daps and portable amps, such as a Fuze/colorfly/Ipod classic combo, it can still sound better than anything else in the closed back realm.  It scales up more than any set I have ever used, with the correct setup.  

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #1,082 of 2,099

Quote:
I don't agree with this.  First, every headphone performs better w/ desktop or stationary rigs.  The edition 8 does scale up pretty well, but not more than other flagship headphones.  From my experience, the lcd2, t1, and hd800 scale up much more when switching from my portable to desktop rig.  Infact, I would say the edition 8 is probably the most forgiving headphone I have tried for poor sources and amps.  

I have no idea what you are disagreeing with as you pretty much repeated everything I said in different words. 

You said every headphone performs better with better rigs, which is what I basically said in my first sentence.  The right combo is important, you cant use junk sources or amps.  I am not at all sure of what scaling up has to do with how forgiving it is.  I think you mean unforgiving.  The Edition 8 will show how bad or good your combo really is.  In that case, it would be considered unforgiving, it if were forgiving you wouldn't notice how bad your source or amp really are.   I am also confused by you saying the HD800 and T1 do not scale up anymore than the Edition 8 but in the very next sentence you say it scales up much more when switching from portable to desktop rigs.  I think the Edition 8 is capable of things the T1 and HD800 are not in terms of dynamics and in that case it scales up significantly more than the HD800 and T1 can do when you switch from a CLAS + amp combo to a very expensive amp and source.  The LCD2 + CLAS sounds incredible, the LCD2 with the Woo Audio 6 didn't sound that much better,  the Edition 8 with the CLAS sounded good, the edition 8 + woo audio 6 + home source sounded insane

therefore the Edition 8 scaled up more and was worthy of me noting it in my post

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #1,083 of 2,099

Quote:
Well, compared to the HE500 and LCD-2, every single headphone that costs more is severely overpriced.

This is if you assume that orthos as a whole sound right.  For me the HE-6 and the LCD-2 both sound disjointed and nonmusical.  So if you like the sound i guess it's a deal but if you don't then the orthos are overpriced.  They just seem like a work in progress to me, but i know others swear by them.  I was on the list for the LCD-2 and i decided that i didn't want them, later after hearing it again i realized that it isn't even worth half what they ask for it to me, I would just never use them, they would sit with my HD650's on the shelf.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #1,084 of 2,099

Quote:

I'm with you, the Ed8 sounds really good straight out of my HP laptop with its Altec Lansing sound card, as well as out of my Class D surround receiver's headphone port. I didn't think it scaled up so well out of my WA22 so much compared to LCD-2 and HD800 but it wasn't bad. It sounds pretty good out of my portable rig as well, which is pretty nice but not as good as a CLAS with a top portable amp.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #1,085 of 2,099

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from, but gosh I need a tree that grows money. I'm just a poor HS student dreaming of hi-end audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

JB

Quote:
I'm a HS student too 
wink.gif

Guys: Girls now...headphones and audio gear AFTER your married with kids. You're don't want to miss out on these years, trust me, they go by way too fast.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,086 of 2,099

Quote:
This is if you assume that orthos as a whole sound right.  For me the HE-6 and the LCD-2 both sound disjointed and nonmusical.  So if you like the sound i guess it's a deal but if you don't then the orthos are overpriced.  They just seem like a work in progress to me, but i know others swear by them.  I was on the list for the LCD-2 and i decided that i didn't want them, later after hearing it again i realized that it isn't even worth half what they ask for it to me, I would just never use them, they would sit with my HD650's on the shelf.

HE-6 perhaps, but I have no idea how can you find the LCD-2 "nonmusical". It's the most soulful, emotional, and powerful headphone I've heard.They're worth a lot more then the asking price to me. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,087 of 2,099

Your first paragraph suggests that the edition 8 needs a great amp and source to "truly shine".  This is true for every headphone whether is a bose qc3 or a sony r10, so I didn't understand why that was worth stating.

Second paragraph, you say that it scales up more than any set you have used.  This is where i disagree.  I thought you were suggesting that the edition 8 improves w/ great sources relatively more than another flagship (hd800, lcd2, he6, or t1) would improve.  My lcd2 sounds like trash out of my iphone or meizu, but divine out of my asus and concerto.  While my edition 8 sounds good out of my iphone and great out of the concerto.

When I said the edition 8s are more forgiving of sources, this is what I meant. I was trying to say that while the edition 8 improves w/ better sources the effect isn't as dramatic as with other headphones.  I think this is where the edition 8's true value really lies, as a portable and extremely versatile headphone.  

Quote:

I have no idea what you are disagreeing with as you pretty much repeated everything I said in different words. 

You said every headphone performs better with better rigs, which is what I basically said in my first sentence.  The right combo is important, you cant use junk sources or amps.  I am not at all sure of what scaling up has to do with how forgiving it is.  I think you mean unforgiving.  The Edition 8 will show how bad or good your combo really is.  In that case, it would be considered unforgiving, it if were forgiving you wouldn't notice how bad your source or amp really are.   I am also confused by you saying the HD800 and T1 do not scale up anymore than the Edition 8 but in the very next sentence you say it scales up much more when switching from portable to desktop rigs.  I think the Edition 8 is capable of things the T1 and HD800 are not in terms of dynamics and in that case it scales up significantly more than the HD800 and T1 can do when you switch from a CLAS + amp combo to a very expensive amp and source.  The LCD2 + CLAS sounds incredible, the LCD2 with the Woo Audio 6 didn't sound that much better,  the Edition 8 with the CLAS sounded good, the edition 8 + woo audio 6 + home source sounded insane

therefore the Edition 8 scaled up more and was worthy of me noting it in my post

Quote:
It all depends on having the right combo to be used with the Edition 8.  Its a portable that shouldnt be used with portable amps or portable daps...nothing exists that does it justice that I am aware of or have used.  Even the CLAS combo doesn't do it justice, the edition 8 is capable of immense levels of clarity and dynamics.  You need a massive source and a good forward amp for it to truly shine.  

Despite that need, its still the best portable set ever made and when it is used with mid range daps and portable amps, such as a Fuze/colorfly/Ipod classic combo, it can still sound better than anything else in the closed back realm.  It scales up more than any set I have ever used, with the correct setup.  

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #1,088 of 2,099
Guys: Girls now...headphones and audio gear AFTER your married with kids. You're don't want to miss out on these years, trust me, they go by way too fast.

Best advice I have seen dispensed on head-fi in a long time. I'm certainly glad that I followed that theory when I was young :D

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,089 of 2,099
Quote: Originally Posted by JoonBug I can see where you're coming from, but gosh I need a tree that grows money. I'm just a poor HS student dreaming of hi-end audio. JB Quote: Originally Posted by Alghazanth I'm a HS student too Guys: Girls now...headphones and audio gear AFTER your married with kids. You're don't want to miss out on these years, trust me, they go by way too fast.

Yessir, right after I get my grubby hands on an Ed8. :wink:

And on the great side of things, I got a quote from RMC: $1299 for an LE! The one thing I'm put off by is I can't return headphones, even for a restocking fee. :\

JB

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #1,091 of 2,099
Yeah, you're right. A Ed8 LE for 1250 gently used would sell quickly, I reckon. Hope it doesn't come to that.

How are you enjoying your Ed8s, Radio_head?

JB

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,092 of 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My lcd2 sounds like trash out of my iphone or meizu, but divine out of my asus and concerto.  While my edition 8 sounds good out of my iphone and great out of the concerto.

When I said the edition 8s are more forgiving of sources, this is what I meant. I was trying to say that while the edition 8 improves w/ better sources the effect isn't as dramatic as with other headphones.  I think this is where the edition 8's true value really lies, as a portable and extremely versatile headphone.  

Being an ultra-efficient headphone, I'd have to agree that the Edition 8 does indeed sound good out of a variety of components.  I've had to plug them directly into my Macbook Pro a few times when I was in a pinch and they certainly didn't sound terrible.   Most other headphones I've owned have sounded like crap unamped by generally sounding flat, lifeless, and lacking in volume. (all of which can be contributed to not being sufficiently powerd)  In that regard, I'd agree that the "garbage to gold" factor isn't as great with the Edition 8 (hey, that rhymes!) as it is with many other high-end "audiophile" cans.

However, that doesn't mean that a quality rig isn't any less important.  After rolling various equipment, including the aforementioned Concerto, I've found that the Edition 8 does, in fact, scale extremely well in terms of adopting the sound of individual components.  Given their ability to reach for microdetails and reveal flaws that I feel eclipses much of the competition, I've found that "upgrading" components produces at least as much of an SQ change to the overall presentation as I've experienced with other headphones and, in some cases, more so.  Even something considered a "tweak" like changing the interconnect between my DAC and amp several times was like changing sources. (I still don't believe in ultra-high end USB cables, mind you)

Sticking with the Concerto, I will start by saying that it is a good amp that I'm sure would pair very well with a variety of headphones.  However, I didn't feel that it was a "great" compliment to the Edition 8 unless the content ran through it was restricted to lower-tempo and/or flowing music like the majority of classical.  When fed something multi-layered or compositionally complex, however, the Concerto seemed to be an extreme foil to the Edition 8's capabilities.  For example, I've found Clark's Rainbow Voodoo to be a great test track in terms of transient speed, soundstaging, grain, and treble harshness.  Its combination of dissonant textures, dramatic shifts in soundstage size, dynamic tonal placement, uptempo percussive tones, and sporadic syncopation is a recipe for destruction and one can't help think that Chris Clark himself is somewhere wringing his hands menacingly at the prospect of audio systems imploding as you listen to it.  The Concerto, admittedly, failed this litmus test.  The soundstage stayed on the narrow side for the duration with little to no sense of dynamic space, dissonant attacks sounded loose with unnaturally shrill peaks, and imaging turned into soup as the melody was faded to the left channel while the right predominantly served up the rhythm with underlying percussion hits anchoring the piece.  The best word I can use to describe the overall presentation is "confused."  All things equal, subbing my PPAv2 for the Concerto solved all of these issues.  Every.  Last.  One.  With the 627 opamps, the tone is every bit as neutral as the Concerto while sorting tonal placement with pinpoint accuracy.  The natural dissonance of the track is conveyed effectively without any sort of loosness or peaks that would lead one to believe something not present in the original content is being added nor, for that matter, is anything being subtracted by "smoothing."  While not as good as the PPAv2, even running directly out of the Apogee Duet 2's headphone output gave a definitively more controlled presentation overall than running through the Concerto.  Again, I'm not saying the Concerto is a bad amp by any stretch, but it does have its limitations in terms of application... but I digress.

It's a given that I don't have as much experience as many on this board, but the quality disparity between the two amps with some content is astronomical when paired with the Edition 8.  If the headphones I'm utilizing were less revealing I'm certain the performance gap would be much less pronounced.  That's why I consider it to be a headphone that "scales well" to the equipment used, but it most certainly adheres to the same laws of diminishing returns that every headphone does.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,093 of 2,099

Those are some interesting insights you got there, but after tinkering with the hd800, t1 and lcd2 for a little bit this afternoon I am still not convinced.  Excluding the hd800 and T1 due to their impedance(although the effect is still there), my LCD2 scales up much more than my edition 8.  Listening to the same playlist, when I switch from iphone/meizu => iphone/meizu + ibassoT2 => iphone/meizu + xm6 => macbook +xm6 => asus + concerto, with each step I can notice big changes w/ my lcd2.  Bass becomes more polyphonic, deeper treble & bass extension, more detail throughout the spectrum, especially w/ the concerto.  With the edition 8 things get noticeably better, but I found it pretty hard distinguishing between things especially between the last 3 steps.  Moreover, I think this is something Ultrasone implemented to complement its use as a portable headphone.  Portable sources are crappy by nature, thus it would make sense that they would design a headphone to forgive poor sources.  This doesn't mean that it can't improve astronomically w/ better sources like other flagships, but if it did then this headphone would be unquestionably the best home/studio headphone out there.  As much as I love my edition 8, I know better exists for home listening.

Like you pointed out, my impressions could be wrong due to a couple of things, e.g. limitations in my gear, a ceiling effect in my hearing ability, poor synergy w/ my higher end amps, or a much more complex, non-linear interaction between hi mid and lowfi sources.  Also complex music like Clark's - rainbow voodoo will likely reveal weaknesses in many rigs, but I don't know if it says much about a rig's capability on what I actually listen to which is more mainstream.

On another note, I was surprised to hear you say that the concerto wasn't a good pairing w/ the edition 8.  I targeted that amp for its revered synergy w/ my lcd2 and edition 8 and was/am pretty pleased with it.  You got me curious for better amps now... 

Quote:
Being an ultra-efficient headphone, I'd have to agree that the Edition 8 does indeed sound good out of a variety of components.  I've had to plug them directly into my Macbook Pro a few times when I was in a pinch and they certainly didn't sound terrible.   Most other headphones I've owned have sounded like crap unamped by generally sounding flat, lifeless, and lacking in volume. (all of which can be contributed to not being sufficiently powerd)  In that regard, I'd agree that the "garbage to gold" factor isn't as great with the Edition 8 (hey, that rhymes!) as it is with many other high-end "audiophile" cans....

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,095 of 2,099
Quote:
Those are some interesting insights you got there, but after tinkering with the hd800, t1 and lcd2 for a little bit this afternoon I am still not convinced.  Excluding the hd800 and T1 due to their impedance(although the effect is still there), my LCD2 scales up much more than my edition 8.  Listening to the same playlist, when I switch from iphone/meizu => iphone/meizu + ibassoT2 => iphone/meizu + xm6 => macbook +xm6 => asus + concerto, with each step I can notice big changes w/ my lcd2.  Bass becomes more polyphonic, deeper treble & bass extension, more detail throughout the spectrum, especially w/ the concerto.  With the edition 8 things get noticeably better, but I found it pretty hard distinguishing between things especially between the last 3 steps. 

I have no first-hand experience with the LCD-2, so you're findings could be 100% correct for all I know.  Opinion respected and noted.  All I can contribute are my own impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As much as I love my edition 8, I know better exists for home listening.

Since I require the isolation of closed-backs, not for me.
L3000.gif

Quote:
Like you pointed out, my impressions could be wrong due to a couple of things, e.g. limitations in my gear, a ceiling effect in my hearing ability, poor synergy w/ my higher end amps, or a much more complex, non-linear interaction between hi mid and lowfi sources.  Also complex music like Clark's - rainbow voodoo will likely reveal weaknesses in many rigs, but I don't know if it says much about a rig's capability on what I actually listen to which is more mainstream.

If your impressions sound accurate to your ears, then you're not "wrong."  Furthermore, building a rig around your listening taste(s) is the smartest way to go about this hobby, IMHO.  If you're enjoying what you're hearing, by all means don't let me or anyone else stop you from doing so.

Quote:
On another note, I was surprised to hear you say that the concerto wasn't a good pairing w/ the edition 8.  I targeted that amp for its revered synergy w/ my lcd2 and edition 8 and was/am pretty pleased with it.  You got me curious for better amps now... 

"CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!!!"

*ahem*

I also sought out the Concerto due to the documented good impressions of its pairing with the Edition 8.  Although my experiences with the setup didn't fall in line with those of others, I don't discredit their findings nor am I disappointed that it wasn't to my liking.  I fully understand how someone, with the right content, could find it extremely enjoyable.  If nothing else, for me it was a reaffirmation of just how underrated the PPAv2 is when fed by a quality source... but that's a story for another thread.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back