Ultrasone Edition 8
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #76 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last units of limited edition headphones available in the U.S

like i said, their site says the 'ED9 is not a limited phone like the ED7', to paraphrase. Just because they stopped manufacturing doesnt mean its a "Limited" phone. Eventually every phone has to get to that point. The production run would be small regardless due to the high price tag i'd imagine so unless the site is wrong, i suspect we'll see a similar life span in the Edition 8s with them also ending after a few thousand units were manufactured. If im wrong and they do end up mass manufacturing the 8s however on the level of Denons or AT then that would be even better for those hoping to make a purchase. The street price will plummet to a realistic level and most everyone will forget that they MSRPd for 1.5k. As i said though, i suspect it will unroll similarly to the ED9s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSatelliteGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they are beautiful. Both a retro and futuristic look at the same time. A black chrome and silver chrome finish. These are to be marketed to people in the +150k marketplace in general. There will be a few head-fi people who will participate in buying but the product does not seem to be fashioned for a diy crowd. Granted we are not all diy but the people that will buy most of these won't even blink at the full price. People that buy Stereophile advertisers grip. There are people out there that buy things for retail. The profile that these are marketed to is income +150k, car +100k, house +500k. They will see the reviews and call music direct and just say send them to me. Me I don't pay retail for anything but dinner in a restaurant. I always look for the best deal but they do not design high end audio for the discount buyer. That is why they come out with new models so soon. Their retail high end market gets saturated so fast so to get back in their pocketbooks lets make a edition 8. They are very very smart marketing. We will be the lucky ones. Just wait till their retail market starts to saturate and buy off market or used from the guy that paid thru the butt. You bet your life when they show up at discount they are already getting their new model ready for market. 7 and 9 are old hat for people that sell wealthy audiophiles.

I wouldnt say they're only marketing to the wealthy. If you truly love music and have a decent job that allows you some "play" money a grand is nothing for a peice of equipment you'll be using for years. And i agree about the finish, i think the cups look very nice. I just dont like the matte silver plastic looking hinges. I wish they were brushed steel or something along those lines.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #77 of 2,099
limited to what they could sell over the past few years
icon10.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #78 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like i said, their site says the 'ED9 is not a limited phone like the ED7', to paraphrase. Just because they stopped manufacturing doesnt mean its a "Limited" phone. Eventually every phone has to get to that point. The production run would be small regardless due to the high price tag i'd imagine so unless the site is wrong, i suspect we'll see a similar life span in the Edition 8s with them also ending after a few thousand units were manufactured. If im wrong and they do end up mass manufacturing the 8s however on the level of Denons or AT then that would be even better for those hoping to make a purchase. The street price will plummet to a realistic level and most everyone will forget that they MSRPd for 1.5k. As i said though, i suspect it will unroll similarly to the ED9s.

Limited or not, at least I think that the Edition 9 were worth their price but only time will tell if the Edition 8 will be as good or better than the Edition 9. They better be great for that price
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #79 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be wierd to think they actually look rather good
smily_headphones1.gif

Nothing weird, /me think. They look quite nice to my eyes as well.

But then again, /me like the looks of the HD800 as well. Which a lot of members call ugly.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #81 of 2,099
like i said, their site says the 'ED9 is not a limited phone

This has been discussed multiple times on head-fi, and is related to a translation issue. "Not limited" refers to functionality, not the number being produced.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #82 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by wfranklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like i said, their site says the 'ED9 is not a limited phone

This has been discussed multiple times on head-fi, and is related to a translation issue. "Not limited" refers to functionality, not the number being produced.

Ok ok I was wrong
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing weird, /me think. They look quite nice to my eyes as well.

But then again, /me like the looks of the HD800 as well. Which a lot of members call ugly.

I think that we should start a new thread about the HD800 vs the Edition 8
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #85 of 2,099
Yeah, I was hoping to read something here about some listening impressions. ??? no one at CES has heard them?

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #86 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt say they're only marketing to the wealthy. If you truly love music and have a decent job that allows you some "play" money a grand is nothing for a peice of equipment you'll be using for years. And i agree about the finish, i think the cups look very nice. I just dont like the matte silver plastic looking hinges. I wish they were brushed steel or something along those lines.

Plastic everywhere! Both the Edition8 and the HD800 are dripping with plastic.
I'm sure Ultrasone would say that the plastic hinges have less resonance than metal hinges.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #88 of 2,099
Thanks for the link.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #89 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plastic everywhere! Both the Edition8 and the HD800 are dripping with plastic.
I'm sure Ultrasone would say that the plastic hinges have less resonance than metal hinges.

This is not plastic, the edition 8 use mostly aluminum.
Not that it matters much since we only use it to store them but for 1399$ I wonder why they had to cheap out on the box and use the pro series zip box instead of one like the edition 9 metal box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back