Jan 7, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #62 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be wierd to think they actually look rather good
smily_headphones1.gif

You are not alone though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #65 of 2,099
I don;t think they are ugly so much as weird looking. Hasn't stopped me from thinking about a pair if they sound good, but I am very happy with my APS V3 cabled Edition 9 thank you very much.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #67 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hasn't stopped me from thinking about a pair if they sound good

I will probably purchase them because I'm very curious to see how they will sound compared to my Edition 9 but their price is simply ridiculous. I really hope that they will reconsider the price before the release date...

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #68 of 2,099
Does it really matter what they look like. Headphone listening is such a private matter anyway.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #70 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure that they will be great headphones but IMO Ultrasone is making a BIG mistake by releasing a product with such a high price tag in 2009 ! ($1,499.00)

MSRP and street prices are two different things though. As you said the D7000s are already has low as 600-700 and those list for 1000. W5000s list for $1,700 and can be found easily for $600. Plus the Edition 9 sold well at the same list price usually realistically selling for 1000-1200.

Cosmetically i like their look save the plastic looking hinges. I could care less how they look though and far more with their sound and build quality and comfort. If they were ugly as hell but felt and sounded fantastic that would be fine by me. Not out to win a style contest here.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #71 of 2,099
I think they are beautiful. Both a retro and futuristic look at the same time. A black chrome and silver chrome finish. These are to be marketed to people in the +150k marketplace in general. There will be a few head-fi people who will participate in buying but the product does not seem to be fashioned for a diy crowd. Granted we are not all diy but the people that will buy most of these won't even blink at the full price. People that buy Stereophile advertisers grip. There are people out there that buy things for retail. The profile that these are marketed to is income +150k, car +100k, house +500k. They will see the reviews and call music direct and just say send them to me. Me I don't pay retail for anything but dinner in a restaurant. I always look for the best deal but they do not design high end audio for the discount buyer. That is why they come out with new models so soon. Their retail high end market gets saturated so fast so to get back in their pocketbooks lets make a edition 8. They are very very smart marketing. We will be the lucky ones. Just wait till their retail market starts to saturate and buy off market or used from the guy that paid thru the butt. You bet your life when they show up at discount they are already getting their new model ready for market. 7 and 9 are old hat for people that sell wealthy audiophiles.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #72 of 2,099
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MSRP and street prices are two different things though. As you said the D7000s are already has low as 600-700 and those list for 1000. W5000s list for $1,700 and can be found easily for $600. Plus the Edition 9 sold well at the same list price usually realistically selling for 1000-1200.

I agree with you but the Edition 9 where limited.

IMO, a list price like the Denon D7000 (i.e $1000) would be more fair.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #73 of 2,099
Quote:

IMO, a list price like the Denon D7000 (i.e $1000) would be more fair.

unless its incorrect, the ultrasone site states that the ED9s were not a limited headphone either.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #75 of 2,099
Quote:

As far as I know and have heard the ED9's were never a limited edition. The ED7's were the only limited model hence their price tag. In that case if the ED8 would be around the MRSP as the ED9 I think it's a fair price.

Second note concerning the limitness of the ED9; well, a new model is coming out and they stopped production of the ED9 (if Paul's info is correct) so yeah, they have become limited as of now
wink.gif

They seem to look more comfortable though a lot more ugly, not as foldable and they don't really look like an upgrade (could be a mere wish though
wink.gif
) but we won't know what it has under the hood till we do, so whatever for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back