Ultrasone Edition 8 Palladium
Jan 19, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #16 of 33
They do sound the same to me, just cosmetics. I liked the Palladium better than the Ruthenium, seems more robust and durable. Here I am with the Ultrasones Palladium 001 and Michael.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #17 of 33
Hate the looks of the original, new one looks pretty nice though.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know what? I give credit to Ultrasone. It still irks me that the HD800 is made out out of cheap silver spray-painted plastic, so for Ultrasone and Beyerdynamic (T1) to make truly high-end headphones with uncompromising materials is to be celebrated.
The Edition 8 in Ruthenium or Palladium gives buyers a "choice". Isn't that nice in the age of cheap, mechanical reproduction?

wait isn't the t1 plastic?

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 33
or perhaps they should make an alloy of gold and Palladium... white gold!!

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 33
Like the looks of the original better too, however I can see why they went to a scratch resistant cup.
I actually hope they keep the cable length the same, or offer a detachable.

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #22 of 33
Actually, the ruthenium is very scratch resistant. After heavy use of mine over the last 3 months, you should see what they look like after I've given them a shineup with the provided cloth that comes with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JIGF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do sound the same to me, just cosmetics. I liked the Palladium better than the Ruthenium, seems more robust and durable. Here I am with the Ultrasones Palladium 001 and Michael.

Backpack Buddies!

I dunno, I like the look of the original better in the first few photos, but for the ones that JIGF put up my internal jury is still out.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #24 of 33
I wonder if the original is 95% platinum 5% ruthenium, and new one 95% palladium and 5% ruthenium. I think I read the latter one has better scratch resistance, but I think the former looks much more expensive.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 33
This one actually looks a little bit more usable outside without getting robbed.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #26 of 33
It would been kind of fun if some non head-fi robber mug you on your wallet containing 20$ cash or my 50$ cell phone but have no idea I have 1400$ on my head
wink.gif

Okay they will probably get my 300$ ipod touch I suppose lol.

I think paul mentioned what the ear cups where made of. Nickel or something underneith the 5 % ruthenium? Isn´t platinum quite expensive as well why use that if it´s not visible? Is palladium supposed to be even more scratch resistant? Doesn´t seem like Ultrasone did their homework then if you read the marketing about the scratch resistant Ruthenium

On the other hand I have no scratch on the aluminium plates on my Pro 900... Which is kind of a miracle. It´s not like they never dropped to the floor or anything. Plastics is very scratch resistant but aluminium no. I remember was a bit bummed they removed the plastics from the 750 for that reason.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #27 of 33
My pro900 sides still are behind their transparent plastic cover
ph34r.gif

But the way the pro900 are made, I don't think the shining plates can get much contact with anything other than our hands.

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, I like the look of the original better in the first few photos, but for the ones that JIGF put up my internal jury is still out.

Understandable, they are the first of the batch. I was hoping they would sell it at the end of the show, guess that was just a dream.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #29 of 33
The black u bits don't match the metal headband parts.
I wouldn't mind seeing an Edition 8 with a dual entry removable cable like the HD580/600/650, seeing as they're going to release a PRO 900 like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back