Ultrasone Edition 7
May 14, 2004 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

urs

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

Is this brand Ultrasone known by the knowledgeables" ? I've never heard of it.
The German Stereoplay magazine featured an article, about this Ultrasone Edition 7, priced @ about 2700 Euro .
It appears a be another contender for the "closed & dynamics variety" top-spot....!

http://www.edition7.com/html/page_07b.htm

Regards

Urs

May 14, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 34
http://headwize.com/ubb/showpost.php...51218&fdays=20

wink.gif

May 14, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by urs
Hi All,

Is this brand Ultrasone known by the knowledgeables" ? I've never heard of it.
The German Stereoplay magazine featured an article, about this Ultrasone Edition 7, priced @ about 2700 Euro .
It appears a be another contender for the "closed & dynamics variety" top-spot....!

http://www.edition7.com/html/page_07b.htm

Regards

Urs

Interesting cans but that linked presentation was one of the most annoying I've ever had the misfortune to click around..
pissed.gif
tongue.gif

May 14, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 34
attachment.php

peacesign.gif

May 14, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 34
Edition7 uses the sennheiser/ultrasone/beyer headband that seems to crack... 2700€ what is 3200$ for phones whit same headband as hfi-650 isnt realy worth it.. Concidering you can get KGSS from headamp for 1500$ and ~1700$ gets you omega2.. I would assume that setup would be more worth the money than edition7 +extra money for amp

May 14, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 34
I think most agree that the Ultrasone E7's are way, way overpriced compared to known products such as the Sony R10, Grado PS-1, A-T L3000, Stax o2, etc. If they cost in the US$1k range, you'd probably have seen at least a few Head-Fier's trying them out. As it is, I don't expect anyone (with "normal" money) to take that plunge. Too bad.

May 14, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 34
I've just got the HFI-700 a short while ago. Meanwhile I can't speak for the Edition 7... HFI-700 is well worth its money... pretty much in the same class as Audio Technica A900. I will probably do some comparison later this weekend.

However, so far I have to vouch that some of the "marketing" behind Ultrasone isn't necessarily true. For example, their "S-Logic" technology that supposedly increases the soundstage and such... It doesn't do as good of a job as the A900, and even the A500 has comparable soundstage
wink.gif

Anyway, the point is, even if the Edition 7 isn't worth its money, there are some other lower-end product from Ultrasone that is very good.

May 14, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

I think most agree that the Ultrasone E7's are way, way overpriced compared to known products such as the Sony R10, Grado PS-1, A-T L3000, Stax o2, etc.

Based on what? I've only ever seen one review from Jan Meier, or did I miss some where they didn't stack up? Jan seemed to like them well enough, too. From my perspective, we don't have a heck of a lot of info on these to make a judgement yet on whether or not they're worth the asking price. I think the problem is that Ultrasone is not as "established" a brand around here as Sony, AKG, Senn, Beyer, Grado, etc. From that perspective, I agree it's a bigger leap to spend that much, that I can understand. But from an actual performance standpoint, I don't think we can make such sweeping statements (yet). Again, if you can point me to some negative reviews, that would interesting, although still anecdotal.

May 15, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
I think most agree that the Ultrasone E7's are way, way overpriced compared to known products such as the Sony R10, Grado PS-1, A-T L3000, Stax o2, etc.

Who did this comparison?

Biggie.

May 15, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 34
One head-fier, no not me, will have a pair of them soon. Hopefully he'll post some thoughts on how they compare to his other cans in the corral at the same time as the Ultrasones.

May 15, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 34
mark, Biggie, et al,

Obviously there have not been comparative reviews between the E7's, and the other TOTL cans I mentioned. There has been barely one review for them, and that is by a notable retailer & Head-Fi sponsor.

What I meant by my post, was that given their pricepoint, there is little incentive for most to venture there, compared to the known quantities by Sony, Grado, and Stax. The same is even somewhat still true for Audio-Technica L3000's, although since they are quite a bit less expensive, there have been a handful of buyers that we know of here on Head-Fi (although still almost no reviews
frown.gif
).

We know that perception plays a big part in the value of a retail product. Even more so for flagship, or limited-edition products. Marketing departments know they can increase the perceived value of a product simply by pricing them at a high level. The thing is, amongst those who are looking for performance as well as elitism need some confidence that their dollars will be reasonably well-spent compared to buying other like products. I could not afford to have more than one $3000 headphone, so it had better be good. Given Utrasone's limited distribution of the E7's, and lack of ownership here on Head-Fi, (dare I say it?) the worlds leading Internet board devoted to Headphone listeners, there is no proof of that performance level. And if they aren't up that level, I could not afford to lose their resale value.

I said "for most" before, because unless I have unlimited funds, I would be hard pressed to plunk down my hard earned cash for an unknown quantity. I know what R10's sound like because I have the good fortune of having local friends who own them. Granted they took the chance on a premium product, prior to the plethora of accolades now so common here. The same is true for the o2's. But early R10 adopters did so when they were the only game in town. Now the E7's come into the market a bit late, and with no creds. Utrasone needs to provide some incentive for people to venture there, instead of looking at known products at the same price point. I merely suggested that if the Utrasones were set at even a slightly lower pricepoint, there would be a better chance at market penetration.

I'd be very interested to read comparative reviews, and even more interested in hearing a pair. If Jan wants to send me an eval pair, I promise to review them
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back